Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

I’m new here but your photography alone deserves a thumbs up!

5 Likes

On the left is the Jerry Jones longhorn baritone that I was using as a bass before we fixed up the Hagstrom bass on the right that my husband had stashed away in his collection. Both fun instruments to play!

20 Likes

I can tell Whiskey Rituals take place at your place. I recently got into Country and something tells me you’ve played some badass westerns in this room. Anyways I love your spot to death!

6 Likes

I would love to hear a recorded clip of you playing with the Treble maxed out.

5 Likes

Best I can do for now is record with mobile phone.

5 Likes

I’m strongly considering a Sterling myself next. I just need a 4 string bass because all I have is 2 extra strings at the moment and it would feel amazing to just rip around on a 4 string again.

4 Likes

They are amazing Basses.
Since you buy the bass with the stock pick up, you are welcome to see if you can live with it. I won’t imagine wou would like it, unless you like to play with the bass and treble all the way off.
Actually, the bass can go to zero, or 50%, pending how you look at it, and be ok. It can distort on the open E that way, but sounds good for the most part.
When you turn the treble passt 25% ( from all the way off), it just keeps getting scratcher and to the point any slaps, pops, higher notes just hurt to hear.
At least on both of mine, and every lobster video, and any other you tube video I have seen. Plus any I have noodled on in the stores. Sorry to say, it’s not an isolated issue.

Lobsters new review on the 2021 Ray4HH, he did say it sounded like they may have done something to help with the terrible high end, but it is an HH with 5 way selection, so it’s not the same animal as the standard Ray 4. Would be nice if they did change something in the 2021 Ray 4, but, I can’t imagine it being good enuf for long term.

I did fall in love with my Ray 4, before swapping the pick up. I did change practice amps cuz of the Ray 4, and a few pedals, and wish I knew them, all I needed was a new pick up.
But there was never any love lost because of the pick up, just a whole bunch of love gained when I got a new pick up

4 Likes

Damn that actually kind of sounds worrying, what you said. I wanted the Sterling that had double pickups, not just bridge pickups.

4 Likes

Here you go, I even poped G few times at the end.
Bass in the middle, treble maxed.

5 Likes

Watch the newest lobster video. It doesn’t sound bad. He commented on it sounding better.
Idk if he went thru all the tones however cuz he was showing it as a Before Hand. He then put out th4 Afterward BIG RED video, and it is Sick now.

You really need to decide for yourself tho. And you can upgrade those pick ups for just over $100 (for both) if you wanted too.

I don’t have a problem with the stock preamp. Lobster doesn’t care for it, but I don’t have any issues with it working with my Aguilar pick up.

The Basses overall, are incredible, top notch for the price.

3 Likes

About what I would expect.
Turn the amp up a bit, and play notes on the A and G string above the 12th fret.
You don’t really have to do it, I know what it sounds like, so, if you like it like that, that’s Great, nothing wrong with you being delighted with your new bass.

4 Likes

Wife is gonna kick me out, I have tried it, I think I know now what you mean, once I bring gain higher seems like clarity is being lost. G seems fine, but A starts sounding weird.

Eh Ill see it soon in jam conditions how it handles on higher quality amp. Good thing I dont go higher than 12th often.

Guess I know what comes next after Focusrite Solo.

4 Likes

Do you have any recordings of your axe tones? Im interested how it sounds with stock preamp and Aguilar pup.

5 Likes

It’s a really good thing for me that Sterling doesn’t make a shorty SubBongo or something. An affordable Bongo might tip me over into getting a MM someday.

6 Likes

Uh shorty Bongo would get it even closer to pooper seat, hah!

But honest Ive spent few days thinking why the MMs are so expensive. Whats is MM offering that is so much better than Ray34 which is not an affordable bass with price around 1k euros.

5 Likes

Oh there’s plenty of shorty Bongos out there. There’s just no inexpensive ones :slight_smile:

Edit: oops wait, am I wrong? I swear I thought there were short scale Bongos. Now I don’t see any. Hmm.

In the mean time: damn…

Too bad it’s a 5. Needs black hardware too. But the color and fretboard work great together.

9 Likes

Oh thats a sweet finish!

5 Likes

I basically love the Bongo aesthetic :slight_smile:

5 Likes

nope. there isn’t. yet…

:sunglasses:

4 Likes

I don’t, but LOBSTER does
It’s funny that he says the Ray24 pick up is an ok pick up, because he smashed it in a different review.

And this is the same bass and pick up, but with the Aguilar Pre-amp added.

I don’t hear enough difference to make the pre-amp worth it, but if you want the midrange (which is better then the treble most of the time) then you may want this pre-amp, but I am fine with the stock one.

4 Likes