Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Congrats on a GREAT DAY indeed!

I’m assuming you ordered the Paranormal with the pickup upgrade?

3 Likes

I did, they gave me quite the deal as a package. Basically free install, but they couldn’t discount the install so the pickups were heavily discounted instead. It worked out about the same.

And threw in a set of NYXL strings for free

Something that I didn’t know, Apollo pickups are linear humbuckers. Which means each string has its own coil. i.e, no hum

5 Likes

Nice score on both accounts @Wombat-metal .
The Paranormal certainly is a very eye catching bass.

4 Likes

Great looking gear! Enjoy!

3 Likes

@Wombat-metal

Good haul.

What’s the paranormal sound and feel like? They caught my eye the other day. I love the vintage look and simplistic design.

3 Likes

The reviewers say it’s the best bass Squier has made; I don’t have it in hand yet, it is being shipped. But with the Duncan pups I am hoping it sounds very vintage. I will try and post a sound clip when I get it. I picked up an iRig and should be able to post sound clips of mediocre bass playing soon.

7 Likes

Very nice! I’ve only had my bass for just over a week and I’m already fighting “Bass Acquisition Sydrome” :grin:

9 Likes

As a relative newbie myself, I can attest that GAS is a real thing. Welcome aboard @KentFrazier

7 Likes

Oh, yes! I used to have a better conscience before starting to learn. But I have learned a lot.

2 Likes

Hi everyone! It’s been a while. I hope everyone is doing well.
Here’s a little quiz for the curious. I found a picture of my first bass and amp from 1982-83. I got the bass and amp but my grades were bad and dad didn’t allow me to play/learn. Anyway… Can’t believe what I had. An European Saturn B50 amp (bass & guitar inputs) and a Fender P-bass from the late 70’s or early 80’s. I got them without knowing anything about instruments, before the internet and when the rainbow was just the rainbow, hahaha.

Can anybody tell more about the bass or amp from this terrible picture?
What about the knobs on the bass?

8 Likes

Looks like an Ampeg amp with a Fender Jazz to me, @franx . . . :slight_smile:

Can’t spot the “A” on the amp, though . . . :thinking:

EDIT: on magnification, I see “Saturn” on the amp head and the bass might be a Precision.

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure it was a Saturn, a similar model to the B-50 perhaps, but I’m sure it had bass and guitar inputs. I found this picture. I’m also pretty sure it was a Fender Precision bass from another picture. I can’t read it but the name is long. And there are only two knobs…

3 Likes

Without magnifying it, the pic reminded me of an Ampeg B-25-B 2 channel amp at first.

And yes, two knobs on the bass plus a longer name on headstock must be a P-Bass . . . :slight_smile:

Definitely from the 70’s though :+1:

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

Yeah, but the whole setup of the electronics together with the pickguard is typical for a Jazz. I think the upper pot has lost its knob :grin:

Also, the body shape is a Jazz… and the two “ashtrays” shield the two pickups, neck and bridge, respectively.

So, yeah, my money is on a Jazz!

5 Likes

The more I look at it on magnification, I see what you mean, Jörg . . . :thinking:

Ok, I’ll go with my original impression that it’s a Jazz.

Guess my eyes are finally going . . . :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

The family: Squier Vintage Modified jazz bass, LsL “Balboa” P-bass

13 Likes

Well, the cover under the knobs seems to be a metal plate. Nowadays that would mean it’s a Jazz bass, not sure how it was back then though.

4 Likes

Looking at the contours of the body, I’d definitely go for a Jazz bass.

5 Likes

That’s a Jazz control plate. It also has a Jazz neck - those fret inlays are classic 70s Jazz. P bass would have dots on the neck.

Also it has two pickups under the covers. a P would have one cover. It could be a a Jazz Bass Special, a PJ, which would account for the writing. A picture of the headstock and pups would help

4 Likes

You are absolutely right! I can’t remember it missing a knob but it could easily be the case! Thanks!

2 Likes