Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

I have to agree, my Squier tuners are better than my Fender Player tuners.

My Paranormal and CV P basses are keepers while my Player Jazz isn’t. Not what I would have predicted

2 Likes

I got the Squier CV 50s and compared it to a Fender P-bass MIM. I came to the same conclusion which really does not apply to the Affinity Series.

2 Likes

I got a MIM Fender Vintera P (mostly becuase I had gift cards and credit and the color was right for a mod project I wanted to do).
I don’t see a ton of quality difference in them at all. The P pickups weren’t bad, but they are getting a major upgrade as soon as they ship.

Net / net I don’t see much of a difference.

2 Likes

I feel guilty about this one. Think I might be reaching the limit.

Anyway, I was checking prices on something and ran across a B stock. At a huge discount. Brand New, plastic still on

ESP GB-4

There’s a chip in the finish, otherwise she’s mint.

Ash body, rosewood fretboard, Seymour Duncan pups and EQ, Gotoh bridge. I wasn’t looking for anything but it was a good deal.

Going to try it out tonight after work. Thinking of just putting a sticker over the chip. Is that okay?

13 Likes

Only if it’s a banana sticker. :slight_smile:

All kidding aside, nice find. I’ve never played an ESP, but I hear they’re quite good.

3 Likes

I have a similar chip on the back of my fretless Squier, which I will learn to relic on!

2 Likes

OK, fun with technology…
Test #1, still have some reflections to work out but…

Click & Spin

Use your mouse to click on image and spin it

1 Like

Maybe I will go the relic route. If I were to do it this is an opportunity.

1 Like

Do you mean that absolutely gorgeous blue one you have (I think it was you)?

1 Like

Yes. It’s a pretty bass but it doesn’t get much time. If I’m playing a Jazz it’s the Paranormal these days

1 Like

That’s the understatement of the year!

However, I totally understand. People on B2B generally love the Ray4, but I was a bit meh about it, though I loved the looks. We just didn’t connect. I guess you’re the same way with that Player J.

2 Likes

I put Seymour Duncan Apollo pickups on my Paranormal and why would I play another jazz? It just has so much character.

My Jaguar with the EMJ PJ set sounds like a Spector, and my P bass with the Geezer pickup sounds very vintage P.

Hoping for a classic tone with the GB-4. Going to put some strap locks on it and probably restart the course. It’s just about a perfect bass for me according to spec, let’s see how she plays

1 Like

My prediction: in 10 years, and maybe as little as 5, relic-ing instruments will be looked back on kind of in the same way as Hammer Pants.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s not my thing. I don’t mind honestly earned stuff, but to fake it doesn’t sit with me. But I need to do something about the bare wood. Maybe fret oil for now.

2 Likes

Hmm. Not an expert on repairs like this but since it’s black, maybe black lacquer paint, followed by a few coats of clearcoat? You can buy clearcoat in brushable form too. Just enough to cover the ding and a little around it, maybe?

Could just ask your luthier.

1 Like

Looked on Stewmac; they have lacquer touch-up pens. I will call them in the morning and see what they advise

4 Likes

Would be interested in the solve if you find one.

2 Likes

This looks promising. Will call Stewmac like I said and make sure.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/supplies/finishing-supplies/colors-and-tints-and-stains/colortone-touch-up-marker/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2021-09-gp&gclid=Cj0KCQjws4aKBhDPARIsAIWH0JUMJPZ00QpggVtFnnoMX6J2DhvYWZX9X1phkXo9eNPIuUuHYidNGM4aAm9dEALw_wcB

Thankfully in my case its black

5 Likes

That Squier CV 70’s Jazz bass looks really nice.

Then again, it is a jazz bass and I’m as biased as @Jazzbass19 about them :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Damn it.
I just bought two basses I didn’t need (but wanted) and only bought them because of the REDICULOUSLY low sale price, and in the end, I will do what I always end up doing, and Turing them for a profit, but now I remember why I need the profit. I still need this Orange Orange bass. Damn it.
Oh well, one day. Man it looks so clean and bitchen. I wish they were more popular around here and I could at least just get my hands on one to give a try, most likely solidifying the fact I need one.

4 Likes