Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Disorder is the nature of the universe(entropy). We are just in tune with… However I am concerned that you are more in tune. Therefore, a glass, some ice cubes etc. I seek your level of disorder

1 Like

It has happened again. I got a(nother) new bass. The Ibanez AEB5FE-BKN Fretless-Acoustic Electric Bass. This one had a few cool features none the of my others have:

• It is fretless
  • It is short scale (32 inches)
  • It is…black?

BUT!!!

Before you say anything, this one was freeeeeeee!

A guy I work with is a real musician. Has a band, gets paid money, has at least one album etc. And he said this was taking up space on his wall and he needed it gone, so I could have it.

But I DIDN’T buy it…

7 Likes

well, if it’s free … :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dude! I need some musician friends that want somebody to take gear off their hands. I’m all kinds of ready to help.

2 Likes

Just as free food doesn’t count on a diet (it has no calories), free instruments don’t count on a no-GAS lifestyle.

4 Likes

Your collection is growing . . . :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is my Ibanez Gio GSR200L Probably 10-12 years old now. Hasn’t been played much in those years.

3 Likes

Very nice, @forrestgibb :+1:

1 Like

Nice.

If that were mine, I’d be checking whether the neck relief needed adjusting, after being unchecked for that amount of time.

A capo is handy for this (so you can use feeler gauges with free hand) but for a quick visual check - hold E string on first fret with one hand, and at fret where the neck joins the body (around 16th fret) with the other hand, and then look at the size of the gap between the bottom of the string and the top of the 7th/8th fret.

Depending upon Neck Radius, standard figs for 34’’ scale basses are between .014" (0.35 mm) and .010" (0.25 mm).

As a rough guide, a bank/credit card is around .030’’inches (0.76 mm) thick.

Given the info above, and without actually doing anything, at least you should be able to ascertain straight away whether or not you have way too much neck relief.

It is unlikely (but not impossible) that you have too little neck relief - but, if when fretting the E string as described above, the string is resting on the 7th/8th fret, then you have too little neck relief.

Everybody can do this - today can be neck relief checking day :+1:

3 Likes

Since deciding go go for it with the B2B course also decided to treat myself to new bass, a Yamaha TRBX504.

It has a handy passive/active switch and is nice to play.

7 Likes

Nice!!

2 Likes

Lovely.

The grass could do with a trim though.

Has your mower packed up?

3 Likes

Very nice!

2 Likes

Waiting for the Scottish drizzle to pass…:sunglasses:

Although then it’ll be a choice of play bass vs cutting grass…:thinking:

2 Likes

@Mark_D
Concentrate on the bass :grinning:

3 Likes

Alright so I finally had a moment to take a pic of the fam. Arranged by acquisition date from left to right.

9 Likes

Great looking collection, @ChrisThomason . . . :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah somebody else with SX basses.
@HannahWalker is not alone :smiley:

Nice collection :+1:

2 Likes

@HannahWalker You own SX’s as well!?!?! Very cool. After hearing so much about them on other forums I decided to take the plunge 6 or so years back. The P bass I got for $90 to my door. It was a special sale, not a factory 2nd. In total between the initial $90, new strings, pickups, pickguard, and labor, Ive only invested right around $200 into it. Though since then I’ve played basses near $1,000 I didn’t like as much. The J bass was about $200 to my door and haven’t upgraded it yet. It was more expensive as it’s swamp ash and the P is basswood.

3 Likes

I truly can’t complain about my SX. It’s a tad blocky for the higher frets, as most basses are, but not outrageously so. What is a super power with my bass is that it will stay in tune for days. I think it is good hygiene to tune any instrument before playing. It’s nice not to have to stop playing in the middle of something to retune the strings.

2 Likes