Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Great bass!

2 Likes

@terb that bass looks like Buttercream.

2 Likes

The picture shows Caleb Scofield, not me :sweat_smile: but yeah you can use any finger to mute strings, that’s pretty important especially if you use overdrive. also, note that Scofield plays with a pick so the plucking hand position is different than with bare fingers plucking.

1 Like

And then there were 3!

Just added the Ibanez SR500E to the group!

Keep on Thumpin,!
Lanny

10 Likes

Nice, @Lanny - congratulations!

Would you mind explaining to us why you chose this particular bass (having in mind the two you already owned)? I hope this doesn’t sound like the Spanish Inquisition - just curious what led you towards this particular bass :smile:
Thanks!

4 Likes

I bet he wasn’t expecting that. :wink:

7 Likes

Touché :wink:

4 Likes

@joergkutter - Been looking at going the Yamaha 604 route, but after wrapping my hands and arms around this Ibanez with it’s Okoume body, and Jatoba and Walnut neck for the last couple months, it was like “Double Orgasm” man… The tone is somewhat between Alder and Mahogany with a really great midrange; Active/Passive with 3 band EQ; Bridge is very similar to the Badass bridge’s that I bought and installed on my Yamaha’s; the damn thing is so damn light that I can have it hanging off my shoulder all day long and not know it’s even there; well balanced with no neck dive; neck width and thickness similar to my Yamaha’s (which I prefer).

Also… Since I live in the country, I only get to go to the nearest (about 100 miles RT) Guitar center about once a month. The trip typically includes major monthly shopping, so my wife always goes so that she can do her monthly grocery, etc shopping.

Because of this, she has spent endless hours sitting on amplifiers in Guitar Center waiting for me to get my monthly fill of playing with almost every one of their available bass guitars. This said, I have always played the same SR500E and raved about it - something I really can’t say about any of the others I’ve always played…

I guess maybe today she just got tired of waiting for me and said, “They’re offering a 15% discount today for Cyber Monday… Either shit or get off the gahdamn pot and buy what ever the hell it is that will keep me from having to hang out here any longer!”…

So “Why did I buy what I did?”… I did it to make my wife happy…

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

5 Likes

Love the SR line. Nice choice.

5 Likes

I’ll be learning about it @howard… So far though, I’m really impressed… Let’s give it time though and see, but what I do know right out of the gate is that with this bass I can actually “FEEL” the vibration of the strings against my body as I play… This is something that I’ve never experienced before and it is so damn kickass cool!!

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

4 Likes

Yeah it’s the same with me with my 604. I was like “Wow, I guess that pound of wood DID make a difference” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am glad you like it (a lot), @Lanny and that your wife is happy too :smile:

Thanks for elaborating!

So, what’s with the monkey business with your profile pic?? :grin:

3 Likes

I love that line from Ibanez. I steered many a student there. Huge clean sound from those things. Lovely trio you got there!!

3 Likes

Long story @joergkutter… But, since you asked, it’s my global “Gravatar” that is used on several on-line sites - some mostly military related. Since it’s the holiday’s, I’m just trying to help the little guy out a bit…

Here’s “The Story”

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

1 Like

@Gio - Thanks! Still looking to add an acoustic though - just haven’t spent enough time on research or playing one though. As for the Ibanez, your comment is pretty much exactly what the sales guy (who also teaches bass at GC) told me… He did mention that given my (old age and back problems), the lighter weight along with great sound would be a great choice.

Lanny

2 Likes

@howard - It’s really noticeable! Even my wife could feel the difference between my TRBX304 and this SR500E… I do notice that the neck is also much “faster” and that I’m able to move more freely between frets and strings. It was kinda fun growing into each of the bass’s that I have though… I feel now that I’ll be able to retake the last few courses of the B2B and try to develop a little “Slap & Pop” now…

Lanny

1 Like

Brought her home last night. She’s a 2002 20th Anniversary Squire Precision Bass, but to me she’s a PJ. She’s had a pickup upgrade at some point, but I plan on replacing those to get the traditional p-bass appearance. She’s also got a busted signal jack, but I found some Tele styled jacks on Amazon that will fix that. Also, one rear pickup pot is tilted (took a hit maybe?), so I want to address that and put on the traditional knobs.

These should all be easy fixes, and despite it all that she feels really nice to hold, and she’s solid!

7 Likes

one more Precision ! (with a P/J pickup configuration, but the instrument still is a Precision :slight_smile: )

about the tilted pickup it’s probably just the height setting, I guess. not necessarily a problem. the jack input can be changed, only two soldering points and that’s it. the traditionnal pots on a Precision are chrome dome-shaped metal knobs like this :

2 Likes

They’re good basses.

2 Likes

Yeah, those are the knobs I’m looking for. This thing just feels right. I can solder, so no problem on the jack! I can’t wait to get started on the course, but it’s under the tree at the moment…so, that will give me time to her into shape.

Can anyone recommend a good tuner?

Thanks!
Ken T.

1 Like