Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Seems to be a problem sourcing new ones. I haven’t researched it too much, but apparently there are problems dropping on a 13 hole pickgard, something about the neck cutout. I haven’t confirmed any of this yet. This weekend I’ll find out when I have all the other parts!

1 Like

Pretty cool! I had never heard of or seen one of these before.

2 Likes

@eric.kiser that what I said when I saw it at the store in Anchorage. Always wanted a semi-hallow and the Gretsch I was going to order in from the lower 48 sold before I could get it. But I found this one and I love it, really glad I picked it up. Mines just a release of the original 1960’s model Fender did.

2 Likes

@RoadieOpossum I love my SX

1 Like

I’ve been meaning to ask what kind of SX do you have?

2 Likes

@ChrisThomason it is an SX Vintage Series Custom Handmade.

2 Likes

P? J? PJ? Jaguar?

2 Likes

Nada mas. That’s all I can find on it.

1 Like

Haha no I was asking what type of bass is it? A P bass, Jazz bass, Jaguar, etc.

2 Likes

I don’t speak that language - yet! It sounds like you need to give me a learnin’ so I don’t sound like a toy out there!:joy:

1 Like

He’s asking what kind of configuration your pickups have, @HannahWalker
:slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

1 Like

Haha. So I own a SX P (Precision) bass and a SX J (Jazz) bass. The P is 2nd from the left and the J is the one on the far right.

11300f894dce97574dc6a8575438fe08224dbcb1_2_375x500

3 Likes

Perhaps easier to see here:

P (left), J (right)
PJ is a hybrid of the two.

5 Likes

Thanks, @joergkutter . . . you beat me to it :wink:

All best, Joe

3 Likes

It looks like the Precisión. What does that mean? I need an education!

1 Like

It doesn’t really mean too much in the grand scheme of things. :slightly_smiling_face: Both, I assume, are equally the most popular body style for bass. Each producing their own signature tones. Both were designed by Leo Fender as well. His 3rd body style contribution to bass is the Music Man Stingray which is pictured below.

Currently I play my P the most but I have a feeling the J will get in the mix just as often in the coming months. However, once I get my Stingray…both might be doing the majority of their work looking pretty on the wall. :rofl: At the same time, I love my P & J, and will love my Stingray, all for different reasons. I see the Stingray getting the majority of the work but I know I won’t neglect my P & J either. Too much love for each to let that happen.

6 Likes

Well… yeah, sort of! But, not to worry, it was all Latin to me too before I had started playing the bass.

But, it is kind of important to know a bit about the history of the instrument one plays… so, for your weekend assignment, read up on how the electric bass guitar came about and the HUGE role Leo Fender had in it, and how his legacy is still immensely influential (and almost dominating) today :smile:

2 Likes

Ok, here is the new Squier PJ to replace my stolen Dean Edge Q5. Now that I am trying to get back to playing. Also blast from the past me back in the day approximately 1990 with the band probably playing SRV song or something. The Hohner headless was stolen along with the Dean in October but recovered recently so I have it back. It has a great sound.

5 Likes

Aye, aye, cap’n! :joy:

2 Likes

I picked this SBMM Ray 4 up last weekend. It’s an old one that has had a bit of a hard life. Paint chips, dings in the fretboard, aftermarket tuner on the D string. But dang, it feels great to play and sounds fantastic. One day, I will own a real Stingray… :thinking:

7 Likes