Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

I love this strap by the way. Have had it a few weeks now and its made a huge difference in overall comfort.

2 Likes

I have two of those (you can see them on my basses in the pics above :slight_smile:

Agree, they are great!

2 Likes

Mine is a cheaper copy but seems to do the same job.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D38HYP2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only issue I have with it is that the padding stops short of where I need it, but that’s mainly because I have the bass quite high and angled quite sharply upwards - shortening the distance from button to start of the padding. It’s not a problem but I would look for that on my next strap.

2 Likes

I just got that strap, but am not happy with how far down it goes before the padding starts. I like to play with the neck and body higher than average I guess. Have even tried the short one. Probably return it and get a padded Levy one. Shame, because I like it otherwise.

4 Likes

I play a little higher than average myself, and if I played any higher I can see that problem happening. I certainly wish myself that the padding started closer to the top strap button. I’d even be willing for them to take it off the bottom end if need be. Luckily it works for me. Sorry it just doesn’t fit the bill for you.

2 Likes

Nice bass @StefanK! The Ibanez SR is a great lightweight bass that packs a lot of punch. Love the matt black on natural wood grain finish!

As for an amp, unless I’m using headphones, I use my old tubed Marshall guitar amp to practice with all the time. Love the smooth lows and mids it produces - I just don’t play it loud. When I want to play loud, I’ll plug into one of my Ampeg bass amps…

2 Likes

Yeah, I started with a regular and thought moving to the short model would shorten both ends, but it just shortened the end I didn’t care about. I’m hoping other straps will be good as I have scoliosis and other back issues.

2 Likes

The guitar amp is very old and it must have been very cheap, there is a constant buzz coming out of it and the volume is also really bad. I don’t even know the brand ^^

But I am waiting 4 weeks now for the amp and it’s driving me crazy… :-/ The music store said the shipment is late… but man. :frowning:

2 Likes

Hi Josh,
I’m not sure if this will apply because your Jazz bass is Five string, but is there a notable difference on the neck between the Jazz (having a narrower neck) and the P bass for fingering the frets?.
Another stumpy fingered student (not just for bass I truly struggle to find gloves that fit) who is hoping to gain an edge.
Loving the course BTW

1 Like

@midge1411, I have owned both the Fender J and P basses, and currently have a Squier VM Jazz Bass (all 4-string models).

The Jazz Bass neck is slightly thinner vs the Precision Bass neck by a few mm, and although I prefer the Jazz Bass, I can’t honestly say there is any different feel for fingering the frets between these two basses . . . i.e. the distance between the fret wires feels the same.

HTH and all best, Joe :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s funny, just dropped it off for warranty repair anyway because it turns out the pickup balancer pot is bad (or has its leads shorting or something.) I tried the usual tricks to see if it was just dirty, but no, it’s either bad or shorting. So back to Warwick.

Hopefully they will see the wiring I posted a pic of above, say “wow this is a big ball of bullshit” like both the sales guy and I did and just fix it, because I am pretty sure that’s the actual cause.

So one benefit of buying new I guess - warranty repair :smile:

2 Likes

Well yeah, but nobody wants to have to send their new toy away so soon. Presumably it is staying in Japan for it’s spa day?

4 Likes

They have a local service center run by Korg, yeah. I tried contacting them directly but got no reply. Warwick (in Deutschland) said they would ping them for me. In the end I just took it back to the place I bought it to let them deal with Korg. The chain I bought it from is a large one with a large high-end bass business, so they will definitely have some sway.

Their shops are pretty awesome to visit as well. Was ogling some Dingwalls today.

5 Likes

Alas, I live in a bit of a rural backwater. I’d dearly love to have access to a well-stocked guitar store within a hundred miles or so. I’m not sure my bank manager would approve though.

3 Likes

I thought I was safe because I have a really strong aversion to buying new musical gear. But it was a trap, because they had what I wanted in a floor demo on an outlet sale at about half price. So they got me.

And in the end buying new paid off for me this time so :man_shrugging: :smile:

1 Like

Went to the local music store and had all intentions of buying a Jazz Bass and I ended up with this beauty. It’s a MIM Fender 50s Road Worn P Bass. It spoke to me the most. It felt awesome in my hands. And I like the road worn feel (never thought I would…).

Edit: And it was the first time that someone referred to me as “bass player”. That kinda made my day.

11 Likes

Congrats, @florian!! However, we need pics with better light and close-ups as well :grin:

2 Likes

How it feels in you hands is so important. I must remember that and stop buying them based solely on looks.

5 Likes

That’s what really matters above all else! . . . :wink:

Good luck with it, @florian

All best, Joe

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply Joe.
I have large palms but stumpy fingers so reaching for the E string with my pinky is challenging but I cope for now I made a big effort to make my pinky work for a change. I must admit I thought those mm might aid me in getting the pinky up to the E string, I hadn’t even considered the size of the frets being the same. I just need to sort out my lazy thumb for that, I pivot it rather than slide it up and down (first bad habit). I’m sure the lessons will sort that out.
Outstanding course here at Bass Buzz.
Thanks, Steve

2 Likes