Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Thanks @peterhuppertz. Definitely need to do setup. Local music shops aren’t open yet. It seems I’d be keeping if you say its a good bass​:slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

How’s this done?

2 Likes

It’s usually something your luthier will take care of when he sets up your instrument (make sure to ask, but in our neck of the woods, these things are taken for granted, or so it seems).
It will NOT fix your buzz, though.
Try another instrument lead first. If that doesn’t fix it, we’ll take it from there.

@Jamietashi, before we go and take the bridge off (and thus the strings), can’t we just quickly run a lead from the bridge to the instrument lead jack to do a 10 second diagnosis?

2 Likes

From what I understand, the “S”. Above the Greg Bennet logo is for “Samick” which s, again as I understand it, a good quality, however quite underrated brand.

Both brands are available new or used on the GC site, as well as Reverb.
I have not seen or played either, but like others have said, I hear only good things, so, although, GAS and Multiple Bass Syndrome are VERY REAL THINGS, (I have them bad), you could probably do just fine with that bass long term. Weather you want it as your only bass is an entirely different question.

I myself am a collector type, not to be confused with a border, but I like a good variety of tools, and I use the all, so I usually end up with several to many things.

Example, Surfboards. I currently have 4, but there are many different wave shapes up and down the California coast, and different days have different size to deal with as well.

Snowboards, I have 4 or 5. Same thing.
Park? Big mountain? Powder? Hard pack?

I will surely e the same on Bass. 4 string, 5 string, Short Scale, Alternate tuning, Rock / funk covers. Jamming with friends. Playing Punk / Thrash, etc…

All up to you and your style, and unfortunately, (or in my case, fortunately, or I could possibly be a hoarder after all) your budget.

Then of course you could keep the bass you have and get different amps and peddles and multi processors to change your sound to suit. I have a multi processor that lets me do B2B and play at the same tome thru headphones. I have yet to go down the amp path too far.

3 Likes

I forgot to show This Bass as part of my family.

It is a “Daisy Bass” made by DAISY ROCK GUITARS . Despite its “Cuteness” it is a very well made short scale bass, very solid construction, and the neck feels amazing.

The story behind the bass is:
On March 2nd, a couple weeks after getting my first Bass, the Ibanez GSR200SM, I texted Madilyn, my (18 year old middle) daughter a pic of it and said I started playing. When she was younger she asked me to teach her guitar, but I was not playing, and didn’t have any guitars, so we said “some day”. So, after seeing the picture in my text, she responded “Cool dad, can you teach me to play?” I told her absolutely, it will be fun.
On March 3rd, 2020, she was rushed to the ER by ambulence. After 2 weeks, when she was conscious again, and more aware of what is going on, we were talking about it playing bass, and she said she still wanted to learn.
So, since she was looking at a rather long recovery (she still has not come yet, as of April 22nd, 2020, but might in the next day or 3), with relearning to walk being a part of the recovery, she will have a considerable amount of time to sit and learn, to help pass the time, be very mentally therapeutic, and fun at the same time.
As we sat there talking about playing, I looked on “Offer up” and there was this bass. After researching the brand a little, to make sure it was in fact a quality instrument, and not a gimmicky toy, I reached out to the girl selling it, told her my daughters situation, and asked to buy the bass.
She said another guy was supposed to buy it, and she was to ship it to another state, but he did not paid yet, and postponed payment on her once already, and If I could come get it that day, she would sell it to me, for my daughter, for $100 instead of the $150 she listed it at, that the other guy was supposed to be paying for it, and she would tell him she sold it since he had not made payment, yet again.

Anyway, Madilyn loved the bass so much, she kept it with her in the hospital the whole time, just so she can look at it and hold it and pluck some strings every now and then. Madi should be home any day now. I can’t wait to start B2B with her soon.

8 Likes

Nice Bass. :+1:

My daughter has a Daisy Acoustic Guitar that is surprisingly good. Considering the cost, I was pretty impressed.

1 Like

It is a female artist that founded and runs the company, and plays the guitars on stage. They are probably higher quality sten many mass produced instruments.

3 Likes

Indeed.
Samick is pretty much an unknown entity, but they are one of the biggest instrument manufacturers of the world; most of their output is apparently sold as OEM under different brand names, such as Squier, Epiphone, Hohner and Washburn. There was a rumour that, at some point, Samick was responsible for 50% of all guitars worldwide at some point.

A South Korean company established in the late '50’s, and they’ve cooperated with many American companies. One of these, with IMC in Texas, led to the Hondo brand in the Seventies – the sole focus being affordability. My actual first bass guitar, of which we will not speak again, was a Hondo H-620, a regrettable plank of laminate meh, somewhat resembling the Gibson short-scale SG bass. I do not, and I do not want to, remember what I did to it once I got my Fender Precision.

The much more recent Gregg Bennett line of guitars and basses (which were actually designed by Gregg Bennett) aimed at a completely different market segment. For the pickups and electronics, they went to Seymour Duncan, and they also sourced quality components like Grover tuners and Wilkinson bridges. It has occurred to me that my Fairlane holds its tune remarkably well!
All Gregg Bennett guitars have been made in their factory in Indonesia, built in 1998.

As these guitars were sold at a competitive price point, it actually makes sense that, before landing in the customers’ hands, they never got a decent setup – but the luthier that set it up for me told me that many a Fender or Gibson is also either not, or badly, set up when it’s first unboxed, and that reports in guitar magazines that state that “the guitar played very well straight out of the box” are due to review samples being specifically set up. :wink:

4 Likes

FWIW the Made in Korea Warwicks from the 2010s are very highly regarded, almost MIG level.

2 Likes

@eric.kiser this one just showed up on “Offer Up”
They hold value. This and the flower one. They are special limited editions, not the normal line models

3 Likes

Praying for Madi’s quick recovery and that her dreams to play this beautiful instrument comes alive.

6 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

What @peterhuppertz said is correct. I just reread what I wrote. Doh!

1 Like

Does anyone know anything about Ampeg basses? I certainly do not. I bought this one nearly 20 years ago at the age of 13.

I lied to get a job and saved all my money to be able to afford it. All I remember is that I picked it out because I liked the symmetrical shape that didn’t cut into my chest when I sat down to play. Sadly, I stopped playing after two years and left it to my younger sister.

A few months ago, I asked to have it back and was told that my dad had sold it to a guitar shop in Alaska. I was heartbroken, furious, and hurt. It had not sold yet, so a rescue mission ensued and finally I had it returned to me. So, after a 17 year gap, I’m back to playing, using Josh’s lessons to help me pick up where I left off.

12 Likes

That is a fascinating story. I do not know anything about their basses, but assuming it is the same company that makes the Amps, I would suspect it is decent quality. It looks good, a little like a sting ray.
I like it, based on the story behind it alone, I say it’s a keeper.
Of course many if not most of us here, whatever the playing level, have more then one bass. Each one has a different story, a different feel, possibly an alternate set up, so on and so forth.
So, as you progress and look at other basses, this one should never leave your bass family ever again.:grinning:

5 Likes

What a cool story!

Do you have any model information?
Are there any other numbers or details on the bass?
Was it new when you first got it?
Do you remember how much you paid?

I’ll see what I can dig up. :+1:

2 Likes

the Ampeg / Dan Armstrong bass (and matching guitar) is pretty famous. it’s the same body shape than yours, but with a transparent acrylic body :

it looks insane

6 Likes

That is wild looking! I’ve never seen anything like it.

3 Likes

DA00070069 is the number on the back. I assume it was new when I bought it. I really have no idea what I paid for it. I remember the store was having a massive 40% off everything sale, so I definitely paid less than it was worth.

2 Likes

Can you post a picture of where the serial number is located?

1 Like