Show Us Your Basses (Part 2)

So, you’re actually putting down a fully-refundable deposit to borrow and play the newly acquired indefinitely? Plus, get a discount on all subsequent and inevitable sale items? Cool! :money_with_wings: :grin:

3 Likes

Pretty much. That sounds way better than binge, purge, and my own weird brand of codependency. Ha ha ha

4 Likes

Tim’s Bassery… the best in rent-to-own and full-purchased bass guitars!

9 Likes

Great gifts!

4 Likes

That thumb is going to be so much fun. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Ok, so, it arrived just a few minutes ago. I’ve tuned it up and played on it the 6 songs I know… what a joy. And what a surprisingly amazing sounding instrument. I tried to get some good outdoors pictures to really show the finish and condition, but alas and alack, I am not that good of a photographer. So here are some inside pics:

This is a Carvin TBS-4, the Timothy B. Schmitt (bassist for The Eagles) signature bass. It’s very close to an LB20, but has a thinner neck, a shapelier body, two H50N stacked humbucking pickups, and only one knob: volume.

They seem to be pretty darned rare; they were only made (or at least, are in the Carvin catalog) for three years, I think, and this was the first one I’d ever seen for sale aftermarket. Truth be told, this is the first one I’ve ever seen in person. And this one is in super mint condition. Here are some more pics:

Here are the crappy outside pics I took:

24 Likes

Hello Mr Carvin, I’m pleased to meet you.

5 Likes

@Al1885 we need to teach him the photo tricks it taught you!!

4 Likes

Brother @JustTim that is soooo cooool!

5 Likes

Fantastic looking bass @JustTim

5 Likes

Very cool. Congrats.

Somebody got busy carvin’ on that baby.

3 Likes

Thanks, all. I’m very pleased. It reminds me very much of a later model Xcellerator I once had:

Equally nice condition-wise, they were both pretty much mint. But playing-wise, it feels a lot like that bass, and I loved playing that bass. (That Xcellerator is “dumb bass decision #1”; the purchase was a bit sketchy, and once I got the build sheet from Carvin and priced it out, I started worrying that I’d purchased stolen goods or something. In its condition it had to be someone’s baby, and the price I got it for was almost nothing. So, I panicked and got rid of it quickly. I wish I’d have kept it, it probably wasn’t stolen, and I’d probably still have it today. But then I wouldn’t have this TBS4. So… six of one, half-dozen of the other.)

Anyway, it needs a bit of adjusting… relief, action, the whole nine. I’ll do that when I put new strings on it tomorrow.

13 Likes

Before @howard beats me to the joke

6 Likes

I’m with the Dude on that one.

7 Likes

I used to work with a guy who passionately and emphatically believed that NO ONE actually likes The Eagles, it’s just that people feel they’re supposed to like The Eagles and so they just go along with it.

That said, I actually very much do like The Eagles. Always have. The funny part is that I really don’t like much of The Eagles member’s solo work. It feels like it’s missing something to me. But yeah… I do dig The Eagles.

Edit: the fact I like The Eagles had nothing to do with the purchase of this bass. I got it because I love the way it looks, I love the features it has, and I really dig the simplicity of it, what with just the single volume knob and all. It’s a stark contrast to my Dimension, which has a full 3-band onboard EQ and a five position pickup switch.

6 Likes

You’re welcome to ‘em, Tim.

They give me a weasel, queasy feeling.

5 Likes

Hah! Well played. :smiley:

3 Likes

I don’t like the Eagles. Nothing bad to say about them but their music makes me feel blue.

But fantastic looking bass. I have a Mike D’ Antonio sign bass and am not a particular Killswitch Engage fan. But a nice bass.

Keep thumping Tim

5 Likes

That’s the Ibanez that looks like the old Destroyer model, yeah? Sweet bass.

4 Likes

Congrats! Nice looking bass!

7 Likes