Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

That’s an awfully heavy box :rofl:

6 Likes

Idk, i dont have weight counter, its between 16kg

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice, im mostly play my bass while sitting. :smiley:

4 Likes

I agree. And I never trust shipping weight as listed. (For giggles I was looking at a MM on Amazon and the listed shipping weight is 1 lb. I wish. I’d buy a bass that light in a hot second.)

I wouldn’t worry too much about the actual weight at this time. Just work on figuring out if there is a comfortable way to play it. A wider and/or padded strap might help and it’s far less expensive than a new bass.

5 Likes

Agreed, im used to this heavy bass (only affected when i played too long) since the covid there is no gig, maybe when the pandemic start to dissapear i bought a new strap thats pain friendly, Thanks for the advice emme!

4 Likes

@suaryana check out this thread to get some ideas for good straps.

I was having similar issues with back discomfort after playing my 9.8 lbs bass for a length of time. I ended up getting this strap and I no longer have problems. It’s a bit pricey, but my body’s well being is worth the money.

5 Likes

This is the estimate that Reverb gives for shipping a bass, 36lbs., so I think you have hit the nail on the head.
I do have a stingray copy by Stagg, and it is WAY heavier then any of my Rays by Sterlilng and heavier then most basses I have played before, and I could see it being a problem playing longterm as @suaryana describes, so I can easily understand what he is going thru. It is a great sounding bass, as is his, but it would only be good for a song or two. You can’t play it until it hurts, because then anything else you pick up, even a very light bass would not be comfortable, so when you upgrade, and if you still keep this bass (it does have great tone) just play it for short bursts, and go back to your other bass.

I am guessing if you were to weigh the actual bass, based on having a heavy Ray copy, it would be 12lbs give or take a lb.

6 Likes

That’s still a lot of weight to have hanging from your shoulder.

4 Likes

Hey late to the party on this thread… Anyway I bought an MIM P bass as my first bass… but later bought a Squire 5 string J bass. Yes the fit and finish is a bit better on the MIM as are the electronics BUT the J came from the box set up perfectly (as low as is possible and the intonation was almost spot on) A change of strings over factory (same gauges) sounded and felt better and the intonation was about the same…damned good. The MIM required a set up and a fair amount of intonation work to be as good. Don’t dis Squires…some are better than MIM’s ( maybe once in a while MIA’s) and some are just plain too close to call. My MIM was pretty as all get out but required set up to be as good as the Squire. The Squire required a bit of dressing down some of the fret ends. I love the 4 String MIM P but respect the 5 String J Squire. I have a Squire Tele that is great and a friend has a Squire Strat that is in my opinion junk. It’s the luck of the draw. Here’s to you winning! Too many people get hung up on manufacturers or place of manufacture. All can be lemons, and all can be cheesecake. If karma exists you more than likely got cheesecake.

2 Likes

Time to show some Bass Internals maybe. Yesterday evening Greg broke my heart when he just refused to send any signal to the amp. After licking the 9V I was certain, this was not the issue :upside_down_face:
So after softly opening the belly, a small glimpse at his guts just showed the issue:

I think the nut tightening the port was not screwed tight enough so the internal compartment was rotating.

Soldering Iron will arrive tomorrow so I can start the revive procedure :slight_smile:

Wish us luck.

7 Likes

Here are some photos of the new edition to the family.
A Japanese made Fender Aerodyne.
When I took it out of the box it was breathtaking.
It is stunningly gorgeous.
I tuned it and hit the strings and OMG the sound was simply amazing.
The D string boomed and the G strings had no hint of tinninest.
My wife said it sounded so melodic compared to my Schecter and Cort and that it sounded so strong and powerful.
I’ve not had a chance to play it yet but will do tomorrow.
I can’t wait.

17 Likes

:heart_eyes:
One day I’ll get one as well :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

am i wrong or are those not popular? i’m not a fender guy but i never hear about them. and personally i think those are the nicest basses they make.

8 Likes

They are made in Japan. That might explain the lack of popularity.
I do like the sleek design and the fact that the headstock is black as well :black_heart:

7 Likes

P/J pickups on a Jazz body and neck? Fender should just shut down production of all other Jazz basses :slight_smile:

Seriously, gorgeous bass.

9 Likes

You’re right, they are not well know but they are as sexy as all get out.
I’m not sure why they aren’t but that’s exactly why I like it.
I go out of my way not to to be like everyone else.

11 Likes

Wow i like aerodyne model from fender thats my top10 bass list!

7 Likes

Congratulations to the addition to the family @rory

6 Likes

Those are super gorgeous, though I heard you can see EVERY fingerprint on that finish :grin:

And another thing: I also read the upper edge of the body (where you might rest the lower part of your arm) is not contoured and so quite sharp.

But, yeah, I had been eyeing one of those at some point, in dolphin grey!!

8 Likes

I was actually shocked when I saw how “wimpy” the leads where inside my P-bass copy - I had imagined something a little more… substantial!

Good luck with the surgery!

7 Likes