Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

I agree with the gold, I am not a huge gold fan, but for some reason, the Arctic white looks so sexy on a fender

3 Likes

It is a MM Stingray. Not in the famiily, YET…But I am working on it.
How am I working on it, well, lets see.

I went out about an hour ago and bought a Gig bag for $50.
Pretty sick gig bag.

Super nice.
I got it home, opened it up, and OMG!!!

A bass fell out. :scream: AWESOME!!!
Epiphone SG.
Everything about the bass is pretty damn nice. Most of it feels pretty solid and like new.
The Truss Bar Cover is not stock, but it says GIBSON on it, so whatever.

IDK the scale, but it is pretty short, which is cool, but on the neck, it feels so much like a Guitar, again, pretty cool, especially for a SG.

It needs a set up pretty bad, it is about 1/4" above the fretboard at body.
Probably needs some new strings

The Add said

Needs TLC
Electronics work, but may need to be re-soldered or replaced.
Fretboard is loosening from the net towards the nut.

Comes with a Gig Bag / Stand not included.

“Japanese Katakana says “Shelter” in reference to Porter Robinson and Madeon’s Song”

So, the bad

I asked if it was solid, or if it was moving around alot. He said pretty solid, and he was not fibbing. It is actually solid enough that some epoxy or glue or something can fill the gap and save the neck.
I am not sure what to use, My friend probably has a better idea, but I am open to suggestions.

So, back to the point. Things like this can end up turning a profit, possibly small, possibly large, and I mean if I fixed this up and got $150 for it, think about it, I make $50, my buddy makes $50 for helping me out, and I get a free gig bag.
Or I get a free gig bag and make $25 and my buddy gets $25, Who knows,
Or I sell it for $50, break even but get a free gig bag.
Or I fall in love with it and keep it.

I asked about the electronics, and the soldering, and he admitted he didn’t know anything about them. His cousin left them at his house for over a year and then said, go ahead and sell them. He wanted to advertise the worst case because he did not have an amp to test them out with and figured if they sat, they might go bad, like milk :rofl:

I plugged it in, and the Electronics are FINE. and by FINE I don’t just mean they work, I mean they are FINE AF.
The tone from this little guy, OMFG, I am stunned. Not only cuz its a short scale, it would sound amazing if it were full scale, it is a tone that is unique for sure. I have not paid attention to SG basses much before, but I will now, they have a killer sound. I wonder what a full size, or a mid would sound like.

Bonus of the day, I also scored this, and this is the real money maker.
$100, took home and listed on Reverb for $240.
There is not another one for sale, and when they go up for sale, they sell. Not always that high, but shipping is often $75 bucks, so that is not reflected in the graph on reverb.

Of course, I am gonna play with it, and probably fall in love with YET ANOTHER COMPRESSOR (or in this case, COMPRESSORE)

it is a tube compressor, and Onvilabs rates it as PURE GOLD. He says only two drawbacks are Size and the oddball 12v center tip neg power requirement (I got the MarkBass power supply with it).

From Onvilabs

•this comp is pure gold. I would put it up against a high-end rack unit any day.

• Other personal favorites include the Empress, Markbass, G-Lab BC-1, Diamond BCP-1, Retrospec.

• If your tastes are more exotic or particular, the RMI Basswitch, Sonuus Voluum, Markbass Compressore, Origin Cali76 (all versions), Durham Sex Drive, Carl Martin Comp-Limiter, …

So, there is some more money towards that MM Stingray. Getting close. I made about $400 profit off 3 basses I sold in the past 2 weeks.

I should open a pawn shop, or a 2nd hand / consignment music store. Hmmm…

12 Likes

sounds like your buddy deserves his Alpha Omega Ultra back as a "thank you’ :pirate_flag:

5 Likes

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHHAH
Give me back my Sub N up, since you can’t stand it anyway.
LOL

4 Likes

Not going to lie, I might have to use that line on my wife the next time i buy a bass. " well I just wanted a gig bag for one of my basses, and when I got it home this fell out!" lol sure that will go over great. But still not a bad looking little bass, and yeah I’m kind of a mediocre luthier, my dad bought a Biscayne jazz bass at a pawn shop not long ago because it was lighter than any of the ones I have, and at $40 he thought it was a steal. it sounds fine… but I don’t know I’ve adjusted the truss rod, I’ve shimmed the neck, I’ve raised the nut, I’ve even tried to raise the bridge. and I keep finding myself in a situation of the strings being almost a half inch off the fretboard at the body, or being just right but still constantly giving fret buzz at the head, with no happy medium. it’s a real POS and I’ve all but given up on doing anything with it. I almost swear the body itself has a bow in it. But he doesn’t know he’s getting a Precision this Christmas, so maybe ill turn it into a project bass… not sure yet.

7 Likes

Welcome @Scoundrel1680

Head over to Introduce Yourself, and drop down a little info bout yourself when you get a chance.

5 Likes

Just take video of her face when you tell her that and post it here :rofl:

Yeah, I have no Idea what I am getting into with this, but for $50, the gig bag made it worth it.
I am a man with many basses, and one HSC and one, no, make that two gig bags, so, I actually am very happy to have gotten one.

If Nothing else, I can practice honing my luthier skills and learn a thing or two.

Plus, I now know that I like the SG tone, and it has peaked my interest to see what the Les Paul bass sounds like.

It might end up being, and oh well if it is, like I said, the value for the money spent is already realized, so Ehh, I am fine either way.

6 Likes

Well here’s to hoping it turns out great when you get done with it. And here’s to hoping I manage to sort out this POS my dad bought. eventually. :rofl:

6 Likes

Nice score on the Markbass. People love that thing.

4 Likes

I am afraid I am gonna love it and keep it. It is way too big to try to squeeze in with the other compressors. LOL

6 Likes

I just saw somebody selling another MarkBass pedal in that same housing, it was a Tube Distortion pedal. Interesting, I am betting that could be FAT AF.
$120, been on market for 4 months I think, it is in another state, so it would ship. I wonder if it is worth trying just cuz it should be cool. I am sure I could always turn a profit on Reverb.

3 Likes

If you try it out, add it to the list here:

4 Likes

It will shock me if i buy a 50$ gigbag with epiphone sg on it :scream: , thats a pretty cool looking bass i like the katakana vinyl and becareful for your fingers thr wood on the neck migh stab you.

5 Likes

I was joking a little bit. :rofl:
I saw the add

This was the add. I went to check it out to assess the neck damage. the neck damage is not that bad and. I think it might be a fairly simple fix.
However, since it came with a VERY NICE gig bag, it made the RISK of the bass not being fixable (cheaply) go WAY down.

6 Likes

I finally got everyone together. So thought I’d make a proper family photo. We have the biscayne. A great sounding little jazz with huge intonation issues. I hate that thing. My Bently series 10, my peavey fury VI 6 string. My dean custom zone nuke green. And lastly a cheap little acoustic electric from Amazon for when I’m not in the mood to pull the amp out. But still no Ricky yet. Oh well :rofl:

14 Likes

@Mao I’m highly offended by that Redskins sign. (Just kidding LOL) :rofl:

6 Likes

Thats all pops. Lol, I never got much into sports. And I also think I may have a serious bass problem.

6 Likes

You have a very serious bass problem, would you like me to spell it out for you.

You don’t have enough basses.
You have no Short Scale
You have no 5 string
You have no StingRay
You have no Neck Thru
You have no P/J
You have no Fretless
You have no EUB
You have no Cigar Box Bass
You have no U bass
You have no FrankenFukt bass
you want me to keep going.