Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

@kevwheez the location is about 3 meters away from my kitchen :slight_smile: some places in France are really nice, isnt it ? :star_struck:

@howard I happen to be a big fan of Polysics and I must confess I bought this Yamaha because Fumi plays an SBV :slight_smile: (she plays SBV 550 and not 500 like mine, but the 550 is even more rare than the 500)

4 Likes

Oh awesome! I’m actually just recently discovering them, they’re great. Fumi really rocks that thing.

3 Likes

sure ! you must see the live “Polysics or die !” 2008 where Fumi has an insane bass sound :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

welcome, and thanks tons for the bass shots. Lovely scenery, and that samurai bass!!! I’m in love.

4 Likes

Yeah I kind of want one of those SBVs. Unique looking bass, kind of like an upside down Warwick with a headstock designed by a shredding guitar hero. Totally awesome look.

I am such a Yamaha fanboy.

4 Likes

I totally should have added Fumi to this post:

as she’s a perfect example too.

3 Likes

I really like this picture.

2 Likes

Josh, its a Sterling SUB. It doesnt really sound like a Stingray, but it feels good in my hands. For a beginner like me, Ill take it. :yum:

2 Likes

Holy crap that bass is cool! I’ve never seen those, very cool looking body shape. Wonder how practical it is / how it feels when worn?

And lovely photo! Looks a lot like the Northern California landscapes I’m familiar with.

3 Likes

It feels a lot like a Jazz Bass ! but with a way better access to the last frets. nothing too exotic when played, despite the melted-looking body shape :slight_smile:
It sounds pretty much like a Jazz Bass too, but the pickups are more powerfull and sound less thin than typical JB pickups.

The place is called Ardèche, in the south of France. your comparison makes me want to visit Northern California :smiley:

3 Likes

It really is an awesome look. The only two I have ever seen are yours and Fumi’s. Very uncommon and cool.

3 Likes

Here’s my Ibanez SoundGear SRA500… just put some Rotosounds on it the other day…

Also have a Cimar RD2072 fram the lawsuit era, but only 1 pic allowed…

12 Likes

Nice-looking bass with a really attractive finish @Roger_K . . . :slight_smile:

Welcome aboard and hope you enjoy your time here!

All best, Joe

3 Likes

Thanks Joe!

5 Likes

After I finally lowered the action on my jazz bass, I thought I’d add a chrome bridge cover to complete that " 70’s vintage" look . . . :slight_smile:

All best, Joe

11 Likes

Welcome @Roger_K! And I just bumped the pic limit for new users yesterday, so we can see your other bass now. :guitar:

That Soundgear is pretty!

And nice bridge cover Joe @Jazzbass19 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I really like the current Squier range. amazing instruments for the price, not far at all from “the real thing”.

4 Likes

Before I bought my bass(es) last year I asked a drummer friend who I know gigs (and has lots of bass player friends) what they would recommend for a beginner, and the response was quite uniform: Squier VM Jazz. I tried one but it didn’t feel right, and at the time I had an aversion to the brand from a poor reputation when I was young. When I’m near the music shop again next I’m going to give one a try. Not that I don’t like my Peavey or Epiphone, but I can always own 3 basses (4 if you count the acoustic hanging for sale in the shop), can’t I?

4 Likes

@PeteP, that bass came in second in @JoshFossgreen’s blindfold test of the top ten basses for beginners, and that’s the one I bought. I was very lucky to find it, and it is now discontinued.

I owned a “real” 1978 Fender Jazz Bass but had to sell it. It looked (and felt) exactly like my Squier except it had black dots instead of black square inlays. So it’s like going down “memory lane” for me . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

You are my idol!

2 Likes