Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

HE has way too much cool content, I can look past the stupid lobster claw.

Yeah, but josh already had the banana on the arm, so take that off the list

Again, enough cool stuff, I can get past the dumb lobster, or fast forward past it

5 Likes

you sure that is the whole family?
Where are you hiding your newest one?
and that still has two Rick’s.

I think it is time for a new family portrait.

5 Likes

Yep he really does.

5 Likes

Hey Toby @T_dub,
Your right I should probably do an updated family portrait, now that Mac has the black Ricky and I’ve welcomed Ernie into the family :+1:
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

I agree. His content is too cool. He’s just having fun with that lobster. Kudos to someone who will be himself.

5 Likes

Here is my bass, I call it my “zombie” bass because it was unplayable (dead) when I dug it out of my attic (my sister played it a bit in high school) when the pandemic started. The strings were dead and the nut was cracked, the action was insanely high as well. It is a “Grande” (which was a badge that was made by Yamaki in the 80s) J style bass.

I ran to GC and by chance they had a spare nut that seemed to match the type needed, they gave it to me for free which was nice. I also lucked out and found a pair of fresh Ernie ball hybrid round wounds in the guitar bag my sister had. Thus began the process of bringing it back to life (making it playable).

I replaced the nut and put on the new strings, I checked out the truss rod which was corroded and seemed to be as tight as it safely could be, the action was still ludicrously high, and on top of that the neck was warped. Oh and the bridge pickup only works at full volume, not sure why.

I ended up DIYing a shim to lift the neck a bit which made it playable. Not great but it gets the job done, unfortunately the A string has a habit of popping out of the nut (hence the paracord behind the nut), which was how I found it when the old nut was on as well, not sure if I installed the new nut poorly or not, all the other strings are fine. And that is the story of my bass, I’ll try to make a video of me playing it at some point so you can see and hear it in action.

Also this article is really helpful for tracking down the maker for MIJ basses: Japanese Manufacturers of Made in Japan Badged Electric Guitars From 1960–1980 - Spinditty

11 Likes

There is just something completely bad azz and rock and roll about a bass like this, nicely done :+1:

4 Likes

Thank you!

3 Likes

You saved a bass, that’s awesome. I think it looks good as well, so good job!

5 Likes

It’s been a while since I looked in this thread (495 new entries). Jeez, wish I hadn’t have played catch up now - what an amazing selection of gorgeous basses.

Aaaaaand now I want more basses…

7 Likes

Thank you! :smiley:

2 Likes

This is Lola. We’ve been playing around for a while but she’s out of my league. I’m thinking a few lessons may help me up my game.

11 Likes

Welcome @vernon

4 Likes

Yeah, I am starting to think my next big kick will to be pimp out some Ray4’s. I will find them used for under $150, throw in that $100 pick up / pre-amp combo he found, and paint some of the components, theme them out, crazy pick guards, just trick them the F out.
Shout be fun, won’t cost too much doing it like that, and can probably sell for profit after I am done having fun with them.

Or actually, the Aguilar pick up which from amazon is $119, and cost pretty much the same as that combo he found for $100 that was really like $115 after tax or shipping, … I would probably use in place, if it were a bass I was tricking to keep for me.

If you watch the two lobster video’s the one where he put in the Agiular pick up alone, and then the one where he added the Agiular Pre-amp.
For the extra money, I don’t like the value. to me you just get a push pull button to turn it into a 3eq, and I like the sound of my Ray4 (exact same as the Ray24) 2band preamp just fine with the upgraded pick up.
I love the Aguilar, but the next one I am going to do the Seymour Duncan, and I am gonna put it in the SLO Special and keep the 3 band MM eq in tact.

Plus, I now pretty much have 3, soon to be 4 Stingrays listed for sale on offer up, possibly will go on Reverb, so when I get the pay off from that, I will find a red ray4 and a mint ray4, and pimp them out, black tuners and bridges (not the most expensive, cheaper knock off’s, but black) and black dials, and paint the control cover or get a black plastic one from somewhere, idk, possibilities are endless, lots of fun to be had…

Can’t wait to see it Brian.

Yeah, it is dumb, it is possible a bad joke from high school or college, or something from the first date with his GF, it is possible that is started out as something personal
or
He could have said, I need something stupid for them to remember me by
or
maybe he works at the Red Lobster???

either way it is working, cuz I sure remember him as the Lobster guy, and I can’t even remember his name even tho I have heard him say it 30 times of more.

but there is another cool bass channel with some cool sting ray comparisons and some cool exercises and tips and tricks. have watched about 5-7 video’s, I know his name is Norb, and I am subscribed to his channel, but I don’t remember the name of it, and can’t tell anybody to check him out, without looking up my subscribed channels.

But I can say 1 word and anybody who knows, knows what I am talking about, and anybody who does not know, it is easy as hell to tell anybody, who will remember, even if they are drunk, that you told them to go on youtube and type in the search field “Lobster Bass”

What he does with the effect, whether you like it or not, whether it is from some real life event or even if it started as a dare, or even an experiment to see if people will remember him this way??? whatever it is, it WORKS, and the content is good, even if you are not a stingray guy, cuz he tests alot of basses, and buys Harley Benton’s and IVY (some amazon brand bass) and other low end budget basses, ad gives them a thorough and fair review, always reminding you what the cost of the bass is during the review, which I like, cuz he is saying things like, for a $1500 bass, I expect better knobs then the cheap feeling ones that needed to be broken in, this is something you would expect from a $500 or under bass, and call brands out on stuff like that, on the other hand, he will say, hey, for a $200 the frets are not bas, no sharp edges, not the best in the world, but a pretty decent job at these frets for a $200 bass, or this pre-amp is killer, the kind I would expect on a EBMM Stingray Special, and getting it on this Sire for only $500, good job sire, even tho when sire did use cheap components on another bass he reviewed he called them out on it and said the bass was lacking for the price.
I think he is fair, and even tho he is a “Stingray Guy” EBMM and SBMM fanboy, I don’t find him to be biased in his reviews at all

And he is too well known now there is no way he could really drop the lobster glove, even if fans don’t like it, he will end up being forgotten if he drops it, I think.

I mean it would be like Josh covering the Banana? It is just not a good idea for him at this point to stop the gimmick, at this point he is in too deep and can’t get out.

3 Likes

Welcome aboard @vernon,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Welcome @vernon! Nice Epiphone.

3 Likes

My Yamaha BB735a. Nothing particularly unique about it, but I LOVE this bass! It feels good to play, and has such a sonorous voice!

8 Likes

Nice one, and welcome.
There is another one of those around here that i know of, it is a really nice bass.

3 Likes

I am looking forward to seeing some of these :ok_hand:

4 Likes

G&L Tribute L-2000 from 2005 with flatwounds. This bass was made for flats! It is a very cool present from my cousin who had it in a closet for years.
Squier J-Bass (China), bought it second hand, changed the pickguard from white to Tortoise and did a complete DIY setup and copper shielding. It has rounds. It seems easier to learn on the Squier than the G&L. Smoother and the neck does make a difference.
Having so much fun learning! Good luck and stay safe!

9 Likes