Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Parts P-Bass I assembled from Squire CV 70’s P-bass body and All-Parts Fender Jazz neck. Added Hipshot Bridge and pickup cover. Thinking of swapping the pickguard to red tort.

And my somewhat newly acquired Gretsch Junior Jet

16 Likes

Sweet. How does the Squier play now?

2 Likes

I like it. After I replaced the bridge I had to shim the neck to get the action as low as I wanted. But I have no complaints other than I wish I could get the darn thing to hang at a better angle.

2 Likes

People rave over the Jr. Jets…how do you like it @Old_WannaBe ?

1 Like

For $300–its great. Lots of different tones. It actually has some internal resonance and produces some nice acoustic tones. Pickup in the rear growls. Silky smooth glass-like finish on the neck.

I tend to use my Jr. jet for “noodling” while watching TV, getting the kids to bed, etc. and then also for more bass-centric covers such as Royal Blood and Death From Above.

It “feels” much more like a guitar than a bass.

All and all I am happy with it and think its by far the best value in its price range. The Bronco felt like a toy in comparison.

6 Likes

I love my Junior Jet - it’s the bass I reach for when I just feel like playing for fun.

I did a mod to it that you may find interesting:

5 Likes

2000 StingRay 5 and in discontinued metallic black. A workhorse of a bass!!
Alvarez Yairi: friend of mine (praise leader for Grace On Fire whom I was the bassist for 15 years) gave to my granddaughter before he passed from battling brain cancer.

19 Likes

I am giddy!
My Aerodyne’s new sister arrived today.
Holy cow it looks brand new, mint from top to bottom, looks like it was never played.
Even came with the original owner’s manual (in Japanese).
I think the only thing needed here is a white pearl pickguard to match the P.
Pretty cool to have the same bass in both P and J necks, etc.
Setup, fretboard oil and flats are all this girls needs.
I am super excited for this one.

26 Likes

Congratulations John!
Many hours of enjoyment.

5 Likes

Pair of beauties

6 Likes

Wow, @John_E ! I’m blown away, they are so beautiful.

6 Likes

Yeah. That’s a beautiful set.

5 Likes

I’ve got the new one all set up.

This is the first Fender anything I have seen with a matte finish neck, really like it.
I do not like the ‘special edition’ Dimarzio pickups much though.
I was thinking it would be cool to swap out the EMG pickups in the PJ with matching Dimarzios with black pole pieces but from what I am hearing…nope nope nope.

I’ve got a Fralin P coming for the HMT hollow body to replace the ‘special edition’ Lace/Fender pickups (hmmm, theme here??). If I like it I might try out the Fralin J set in this bass.

Like the P, this J has sustain for days.

8 Likes

I had yo pull the trigger sooner or later :

the strings (Ibanez carbon coated) are horrible but otherwise it’s a nice little instrument. the neck is comfortable and the bass sounds really better than I expected, plugged and unplugged. Also I like the minimal rustic finish even if it’s hard to render in picture.

19 Likes

Nice! Is it a full 34" scale?

6 Likes

it’s a 32" which is fine for me for this kind of instrument.

also it lacks a thumb rest, I will have to fix that.

7 Likes

I was thinking for an acoustic I would probably prefer a 32" or 30", otherwise the body would be very big.

5 Likes

yeah that was my though. also Ibanez makes a very cute Parlor bass but at less than 25" it’s ridiculously short, so I prefered the 32" one.

also I might tune it in D#-std to match my acoustic guitars, and so it makes a 30" in E-std with a capo on the first fret. not sure at this point if I will really do it, but it’s a viable option.

4 Likes

Very nice @terb Laurent. Looking forward to your first cover with it.

4 Likes

If Egg Sound is the name of the music shop and their strap line isn’t “Our prices are hard to beat” then I’ll be disappointed.

That’s a beautiful looking bass.
Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 7.40.05 AM

8 Likes