Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

I’d go for that one.
Because I can’t imagine anything better in that group of amps.
Plus I have one.

Did you see Josh’s reviw of the non-bluetooth rumble 40?

2 Likes

Here is my Yamaha TRBX 604FM
I replaced the default D’Addario strings, with some Ernie Ball Super Slinky Nickel Round Wounds.

on the left, is my practice amp, the Rumble 40

8 Likes

Sweet! I really love the transparent black 604s and I don’t usually like black basses. The maple grain just looks awesome on them.

I love this bass, been super happy with mine. I use the passive mode a lot more than I expected. Great tone.

2 Likes

my new fender aerodyne jazz bass and the epiphone Les Paul Special I learned on. The aerodyne was my reward to myself for perseverance any advice on better strings than factory

10 Likes

Beauty look on that Aerodyne! No fret dots makes it extrude confidence.

I personally have been loving the sound and feel of D’addario flat wounds on my short scale.

1 Like

@Interstatestan That Aerodyne Jazz Bass is one fine looking instrument.

If you want to know about strings, I suggest this thread… Strings - #15 by eric.kiser.

Thanks you both for the advice. And the compliments

1 Like

Your house looks almost as untidy as mine.
Actually it’s nowhere near as untidy as mine, but a valiant effort nevertheless :+1:

2 Likes

Beautiful looking bass, @Interstatestan :slight_smile:

Hope you get lots of good use out of it!

Cheers, Joe

2 Likes

Disorder is the nature of the universe(entropy). We are just in tune with… However I am concerned that you are more in tune. Therefore, a glass, some ice cubes etc. I seek your level of disorder

1 Like

It has happened again. I got a(nother) new bass. The Ibanez AEB5FE-BKN Fretless-Acoustic Electric Bass. This one had a few cool features none the of my others have:

• It is fretless
  • It is short scale (32 inches)
  • It is…black?

BUT!!!

Before you say anything, this one was freeeeeeee!

A guy I work with is a real musician. Has a band, gets paid money, has at least one album etc. And he said this was taking up space on his wall and he needed it gone, so I could have it.

But I DIDN’T buy it…

7 Likes

well, if it’s free … :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dude! I need some musician friends that want somebody to take gear off their hands. I’m all kinds of ready to help.

2 Likes

Just as free food doesn’t count on a diet (it has no calories), free instruments don’t count on a no-GAS lifestyle.

4 Likes

Your collection is growing . . . :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is my Ibanez Gio GSR200L Probably 10-12 years old now. Hasn’t been played much in those years.

3 Likes

Very nice, @forrestgibb :+1:

1 Like

Nice.

If that were mine, I’d be checking whether the neck relief needed adjusting, after being unchecked for that amount of time.

A capo is handy for this (so you can use feeler gauges with free hand) but for a quick visual check - hold E string on first fret with one hand, and at fret where the neck joins the body (around 16th fret) with the other hand, and then look at the size of the gap between the bottom of the string and the top of the 7th/8th fret.

Depending upon Neck Radius, standard figs for 34’’ scale basses are between .014" (0.35 mm) and .010" (0.25 mm).

As a rough guide, a bank/credit card is around .030’’inches (0.76 mm) thick.

Given the info above, and without actually doing anything, at least you should be able to ascertain straight away whether or not you have way too much neck relief.

It is unlikely (but not impossible) that you have too little neck relief - but, if when fretting the E string as described above, the string is resting on the 7th/8th fret, then you have too little neck relief.

Everybody can do this - today can be neck relief checking day :+1:

3 Likes

Since deciding go go for it with the B2B course also decided to treat myself to new bass, a Yamaha TRBX504.

It has a handy passive/active switch and is nice to play.

7 Likes

Nice!!

2 Likes