Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

@John_E Oh that is gorgeous - I would probably just hang it up and look at it all day :grinning: oooooo - checkerboard binding :ok_hand:

Do you think you’ll keep the pickup cover off? I find mine really useful for playing with a pick but, yeah, it limits fingerstyle and changing strings is a pain …

Flats eh? Waiting for the first cover !

Congrats again - you will definitely look back on this as one of your better decisions :slight_smile: :+1:

5 Likes

Wow, that really is spectacular, @John_E . . . :open_mouth:

Beautiful wood color and grain, and yes, that through neck . . . I can see why!

Good for you and wishing you lots of happy playing . . :metal:

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes

Original is MIA.
I’ve got to order replacement but will play like this for a bit to see how I like without.

It needs a good cleaning and setup which as I watch videos is a whole different thing in these old ones.

4 Likes

Oh man, this angle looks great @John_E
Enjoy!

7 Likes

That Rick looks great @John_E ! Congrats!

7 Likes

You’ve inspired me to look into getting a Rick . . . There is ONE left at Sweetwater . . . :thinking:

Waiting for an e-mail from my sales engineer now.

Hmmmm . . . I suddenly feel like having a small bag of candy :wink: :wink: :wink:

Cheers
Joe

8 Likes

SO. GORGEOUS. Can’t wait to see and hear your first cover with this! Maybe just make a video where you don’t even play it; it’s just you showing it off and staring adoringly at it.
:star_struck: :joy: :star_struck:

6 Likes

Can’t make video right now.
Too busy staring adoringly at it. :eyes:

8 Likes

It’s a really beautiful piece. Also if you have a family gathering it could double as a Charcuterie Board.

12 Likes

How does choice of cured meats affect tone though?

8 Likes

I just canna coppa with more talk about a tone.

10 Likes

Aren’t tone meats more of a myth? I mean any meat will do, won’t it?

6 Likes

Reminds me of how hungry I’m getting right about now . . . :wink:

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Fuck my life… :drooling_face:

6 Likes

It has to be a rare fatty steak like nicely marbled ribeye. Set it on top of the body wood and let the fat and juices soak into the wood for a deep, flavorful tone.

This does not work on painted instruments or those with a sealer on the wood.

7 Likes

To the untrained ear, sure. But if you can’t hear the difference between an aged peppered salami and a fine mortadella I suggest you spend more time at the butcher shop

6 Likes

Well, this does bare the question - do fat sausage fingers effect tone differently than skinny alien meat fingers? Fretting? Plucking? I bet they do.

@Koldunya - find a video for that, I challenge you

4 Likes

Yeah probably best to get a pro to set it up… Oh I’ve just noticed it has the old style tuners too ! That sir is a fine piece of bass :ok_hand::ok_hand:

4 Likes

I’ve anecdotally read more than once that “fat sausage fingers” produce the heaviest of metal tones. We used to joke about Kirk Windstein from Crowbar having such a heavy tone because of this, and I saw a video recently where someone commented on such fingers, independently, but I’ll be damned if I remember where it was lol… Maybe it was Jason Stallworth, he has thicc fingers :thinking:

Looking for a video took me to a place I never want to see again. lol…

Edit

6 Likes

I…I’m really not sure how I feel about this. Uncomfortable, maybe?

3 Likes