Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Looks awesome. Btw pickguard.

Tort tort tort tort.

5 Likes

Ugh, tort, nothankyou. :slight_smile:
I really like the flat black.

5 Likes

My experience with HB was quite different. I got a cheap pbass that was unplayable out of the box. Most of the problems were with the bridge, the saddles were set way high and could not be adjusted for all the tension on the strings, which were about an inch over the fretboard. I couldn’t simply take the strings off because they such an acute upward angle to the saddle I couldn’t pull them out, I had to cut them off. And then I changed the bridge.

When I pulled the pickguard off when changing the pup, come to find the whiles for the screws were so badly drilled there were several of the holes that partially opened into the cavity, that’s how close to the edge they were drilled. With splinters hanging off and all.

Maybe it’s an outlier, but it is the worst experience with a manufacturer I have had to date.

3 Likes

That’s a grounding issue.

4 Likes

I thought that, but I tested all the grounds and they’re good. I’m wondering if it’s the pickup itself or summat.

3 Likes

I just got my 2-string alive bass back that went in for warranty noise issue and I learned a ton about grounding and various pickup designs. The luthier commented that it was a weird one and he had to do some thinking. Also, pickups have polarity and if wired wrong, noise too, depending.

The saga and solve is here:

3 Likes

I have this on my 2019 Squier Stratocaster … an easy fix but yeah, it’s not very classy.

2 Likes

@JustTim I think your split p pickups are just missing the covers.

Also available in Black.

2 Likes

If that’s the case, Schecter is deciding not to include them as a design thing; the close up shot I posted above was from the P-4’s page on Schecter’s site.

On a related note, those pickups are effing BOOMING. This bass, at the same volume and gain, is almost twice as loud as my others, including an active dual humbucker bass. I’ve decided to replace the pickups, I have a Seymour Duncan ordered. Should be here soon, and then I’ll give the electronics cavity a full re-paint and re-validate all the grounds.

4 Likes

I take it you’ve adjusted the pickup height? But still have this issue?

4 Likes

Welcome to ceramic pickups. The Monster Tone P pickups you have are ceramic, which can run hot compared to alnico. I think lowering them will help, or adjust the volume on the bass or the gain. I have the same thing going on with my DiMarzio ceramic pickups. They sound really good though.

The lack of a cover is okay. 50s P bass pickups all are without covers. It’s the way they were made to begin with.

4 Likes

I usually prefer good, bright ceramic pickups over alnico. They just fit with the styles I like. I’ll take punchy and mids-focused over softer and warmer on most days.

They get a bad rap because they are cheaper to make and thus a lot of cheap bad pups also tend to be ceramic. But that’s because they happen to be cheap bad pups, not because of the ceramic. I like the ceramic tonal quality better, and high quality ceramic pickups like DiMarzio and SD just sound better to me than alnico. YMMV.

3 Likes

Ceramics to me sound really good in a mix, they are very present.

4 Likes

Yeah. Very good fit for a P-bass.

3 Likes

The pickups cannot go any lower. I feel sorry for the foam under them. :slight_smile:

In all the research I did before buying this bass, I did not notice that. Or I did and didn’t realize what it meant.

Don’t get me wrong, they sound really good. I’m just surprised at how much hotter they are. It’s very noticeable between the P-4 and the B40, both passive basses. When my SDs arrive I’ll put them in, and if it turns out I like the MonsterTone pups better, I’ll put them back. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

@JustTim I’ve got a couple of Aguilar DCB ceramic soapbar pups on my Jazz-inspired Mayones. They’re hot and sound fantastic.

4 Likes

Ceramic and alnico magnets can both sound excellent or terrible. The magnet material is just one parameter of the pickup, the goal being to match all parameters to get something interesting at the end.

Actually the split coil design with cover is a '57 design :slight_smile: but yeah, early P pickups did not have any cover, which is pretty bad because the magnets are effectively what ties the pickups parts all together (see the picture : a '57 type half-pickup without its coil). It can be very fragile if you use the pickup as a thumb rest. This issue does not exist with covers, or with a pickup frame made out of one single piece of plastic.

6 Likes

I had similar few years ago, old violin sunburst. Damn it was good looking brush.

3 Likes

I have had 2 Harley Bentons. For a that price, they usually are ok.

They may have a license to sell those copies. Not sure though. When cheaper copies are sold, it usually grows busines for the original maker aswell.

3 Likes

A Di box with Pad switch would fix that problem for you.

3 Likes