Nice J bass :+1:

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @bill.c.combs!

4 Likes

SG looks great in that color!

2 Likes

nice color sheme

3 Likes

That is the only reason I did not keep the Yamaha RBX 170 I got. It felt great in all other aspects, and the neck feels incredible, but I could not get over the neck pick ups. On the SR’s , the pickups are just as close to the stings, and my plucking fingers hit them at times, especially on the D and D stings, but since they are rounded, I don’t notice it as much, but on the Yamaha, I just couldn’t get past that pick up being in the way.
I will admit, that is my dislike for the Ibanez SRs as well, I wish they were set down just a tad, like 1mm or so would be enough, and if the Yamaha was not a straight slant, and were rounded, I would like it better too.
But it all comes down to personal preference, and what feels right to the individual holding / playing the bass.

2 Likes

I have a Yamaha rbx200 , it’s not an issue on this model although I think mine is older?
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Yeah, I think so, the new one has that one piece, slanted split pick up plastic mold like, and it is not comfortable for me to play.
I don’t remember exactly, and I don’t have it here to look at now, but Yeah, I think probably not an issue on yours, they hanged them up at some time.

3 Likes

Here is my choice, Fender player precision :slight_smile:

I find it on second hand, as new (buy end 2019, send in february to set up in a shop, meanwhile the shop was closed due to COVID-19 until june. And 2 month later the guy was selling it because he left his band and decide to retire from live event at 52 YO. He only kept 1 bass.). I’ve buy it for 200€ less than the new one! I’m so happy, the owner also offer me a box because it was a shame to transport it in a car only in a gigbag…

Now, I’ve to set-up the straplocks ^^

10 Likes

Awesome, always nice to find what you want, that’s a good deal.

I may be in trouble, look what just showed up for sale.

6 Likes

That looks in really good condition

3 Likes

Nice bass @Dani,
Love the all white look.:+1:
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Here are my basses! Ibanez SR2600, Carvin LB75, Ibanez SR605 and a Yamaha BB300 (My first electric bass ever) I love each and evey one of these basses and they all have there place. all are stock except the SR605, which I replaced all the electronics due to a pre-amp blow out. I went with the EMG single/dual push/pull Pot pickups which are really hot! and the EMG BQS System Pre-amp to take full advantage of these incredible pickups! It is a whole new level of tonal madness! The Ibanez SR2600 is my newest and first bass purchased brand new as well as I hadnt played the bass at all before purchase. This bass is truly amazing in looks and playability! the monoRails bridges are a delight and the nordstrand dual soap bar humbuckers are great! the pre-amp is set to be replaced probably by a dark glass pre-amp setup.(Not a big fan of ibanez electronics IMHO)The one super special thing about this particular bass is the 15 Piece Neck! it holds a tune forever in multi temp and pressure changes. Its awesome!

11 Likes

@Lanmusicman nice family picture.
Jamie

4 Likes

It is a work in progress. Music is a journey and not a destination.

3 Likes

Love the SR! Looking forward to hearing how you like the Darkglass Tone Capsule.

If I were ever to upgrade my Yamaha, it would probably be to a SR2400APL. I love Ibanez’s premium SRs.

2 Likes

Nice looking family @Lanmusicman,
Great explanations,but I’d be curious to here a bit about the Carvin?
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

+1 on the premium SR :+1:

2 Likes

Well put. Agree 100%. Agree with Ibanez Electronics. That neck looks amazing. I love the Ibanez 5pc necks, and at first they were my favorite. I have since come to enjoy a little fuller neck, it just feels more, right, to me, so at one time I had 4 Ibanez, and 1 super SUB stingray ( idk the year, but there was a year that the SUB 4 was as cheap as they come, I mean, like 10x lower then the current Ray 4’s that I love) to go with my ESP LTD B-4E, B-155 and Schecter Elite 5. Only 2 were SDGR, the other 2 were Gio, and the necks are not 5pc, so don’t really count.
Had. GSR200 (1st Bass) got an SR300, then GSR20M Mikro, then SR400.
I have since sold my GSR200 and traded my SR200 back to GC. I also sold the super SUB Ray.
Took the profit from the GSR200 and Super SubRay and bought a Sterling Stingray Ray4.
I fell for Stingrays, and that’s my bag now baby.
I traded the SR300 in for a Sterling Stingray Ray4HH.

I still play the SR400 a lot, but am not thrilled with the electronics, so I hint one day I will upgrade them.

I ordered a Custom Carvin neck thru guitar, in person in the store in Santa Ana, CA, back in 1991. I loved the feel of that guitar above any other I have ever played (except other versions of the same guitar in that store). I recall noodling on Basses in that store way back then, and, not being a bass player at the time, I could still tell there was that same special quality hand built into every bass I picked up in that store.
I no longer have that guitar, my X wife saw to that, but I am left with a desire to track down and purchase a Carvin right handed, neck thru 4 string bass. Within my desired budget, I always find Lefty, or 5 and 6 string Basses, the occasional 4 string always has a hefty price tag, or is listed in fair condition, and is not local, so the quest goes on.
One day I hope to find one. I could always get a Keisel, but those come with a price tag that compares to the MM stingray I want, and neither are in my budget now. I could break the bank and buy one of each, but that is not a wise thing to do, especially in the world today.
No, this is something I will save for, and when I have done so, I will decide on MM or Keisel, that will be a tough one when the time comes.

My LTD B-4E is neck thru, and is as close to the feel of a Carvin I can remember, and I love that bass. I like it’s electronics as well, so it is easily my #2 go to bass.
My go to now is my Sterling Ray 4, Ray 34 and Ray 4HH, in that order, for now, and yes, all 3 are my go to bass, followed by B-4E and then Ibanez SR400.
The Mikro is more of a toy, and for my daughter at the same time, but as far as toys go, it’s lots of fun, and is a good little bass on its own right.

I only noodle on my Schecter Elite 5, because I play 4 strings more as of now, but it is neck thru, and also has that same special feel as the LTD, and my distant memory of Carvins.

3 Likes

Four weeks ago I posted a photo of my new Ibanez electric upright. There was a small crack in the headstock, which the salesman and I detected at the store. He told me to go ahead and take it home and play it, and I could bring it in for an exchange.
Weeks went by, and they still didn’t have any. So, in a moment of GAS I decided to throw in a couple hundred more dollars and upgrade to a better one. I did the exchange yesterday.
The new one is the NS Design Wave. The NS in the company name is the initials of Ned Steinberger who is legendary for his innovative designs, particularly the headless bass. His line of electric violins, cellos, and double basses is equally innovative.
Her name is Stella. I gave her that name because she is able to remain upright, even after I’ve had several pints of my favorite beer, Stella.

13 Likes