Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Thanks Gio!!

2 Likes

Hey all! As promised, here is my Yamaha TRBX304 and Fender Rumble 40 studio amp setup. I was going to say I had the only candy apple red Yamaha thus far, but saw that Howard posted one really recently; nice!

-Kev

10 Likes

Another shot of it - gorgeous!

13 Likes

It really is gorgeous. Once I saw one in red, buying it was inevitable.

Mine came set up pretty well, too. The only thing it really needed was lowering the action a bit. Yamaha is pretty solid for quality, I’ve been a Yamaha fanboy for a long time.

4 Likes

Very nice, @kevwheez . . . you and @howard are like blood brothers, now! :smile:

Your Rumble 40 Studio looks pretty intriguing, too . . . some of us have been wondering about that series. I just have the regular Rumble 25 for now.

Good luck with your equipment and happy playing, Joe :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks guys!
My 304’s neck came a bit out of whack, but luckily have a local guitar store up the street that I had them do a set-up on it for me. Much improved, though I did have to raise the saddle of my E string a bit as it had some fret buzz still.
The studio 40 is incredible! I had an older Fender Mustang 1 amp for for my guitar a few years ago that I think was one of their 1st amps that had the whole slew of selectable “tones” on it. I thought THAT one was intense until I started playing around with this thing - amazing stuff! The fact that it can connect to WiFi to stay updated with new versions/software is really slick.

3 Likes

The right strings and a setup makes such a huge difference… Even just dead strings can turn a “yay” bass into an “ugh” bass, in my experience.

It’s implied. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

very lovely! Welcome to the forums!

2 Likes

Thanks, Gio! I am quite enjoying my lessons w/Josh and my time on the forum thus far; looking forward to hanging and contributing!:sunglasses:

-Kevin

3 Likes

Here’s Savannah (yeah, I name all my instruments, lol), a Brice HXB2-406 from Rondo Music. If you’re not familiar with Rondo check them out, great quality for the price.

15 Likes

Pretty! And yeah I wanna check out Rondo basses if/when we do a super budget basses review…

1 Like

I haven’t seen their sub-$200 stuff but the few mid-range guitars I’ve seen (plus this bass and a fan-fret LP copy I own) are excellent for fit/finish and playability. I think Korean guitar manufacturing (at least Rondo’s source) is on par now with Japan. I don’t know if their cheaper stuff is also Korean made or manufactured to the same quality standards.

I can tell you that Rondo is one of the few companies that will fill a niche when they see it. Need a 10 string fan-fret guitar? :smiley:

3 Likes

And Orange…:sunglasses:

2 Likes

New family portrait. I can’t say which bass I love to play more as each one has a unique sound to what ever I am working on. From left to right: Warwick Vampyre, Ibanez Geo, Fender Jazz Elite, Yamaha TRBX 5-string, Martin BCP4.

15 Likes

SCORE!!!

Working in Cedar Rapids, Iowa for a couple of weeks and had nothing to do today but sit in my hotel room practicing bass. Decided to take a break and go to the local Guitar Center to see if I could build a 6 string set of flatwounds from a 5 string bass set and one string from a set of guitar flats. No dice, they only had a 4 string set of flats for bass.

So as I was moping around cursing my luck I found this Taylor GS Mini-e Bass…

Original price $700 but it was marked down to $250 because one of their employees dropped it, resulting in this…

I talked with the manager about it, sobbing about how it would probably cost a couple hundred dollars to repair… and ended up walking out with it for $100. Best of all… I’ve got the skills to easily repair it myself. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Very nice. Taylor makes nice acoustical instruments.

4 Likes

Damn, nice negotiating! I’m jealous of your repair skills too. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Wow! You got it virtually for free! LOL great job!

3 Likes

Ha! . . . Great catch, @Korrigan!

Good luck with the repairs and wish you lots of happy playing :+1:

All best, Joe

3 Likes