Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

I can see you changed the bridge and the knobs. Was that for aesthetic reasons or anything to do with sound?

3 Likes

I love the contrast. Wanted it to look like the P Bass/Shuker that JJ Burnel from The Stranglers uses

5 Likes

That was aesthetic as i really wanted the black/maple look. it has got '62 custom pickups and I’m running it through a Fender Downtown pedal. The original pickups are pretty good though.

4 Likes

Stealthy!

4 Likes

Hey can anyone fill me in on something? So I’ve noticed that the E string tends to raddle when I play it. Right at this moment I couldn’t tell you if it effects the whole string regardless of the frets or if it just effects a certain fret, but it does raddle. It rattles when not plugged into an amp and sounds kinda like electric crackling. This is one of those $230 models from Reverb by the way.

1 Like

It would probably be helpful if you tested this more thoroughly (like you also said: test it at different frets) - more data, better chance for a diagnostic!

An audio/video clip would be nice as well…

But, maybe, this is a good chance for you to perform a setup of your bass. Please use the search function here (magnifying glass) and search for “setup” and you should stumble on at least three good videos that guide you through the process.

Good luck!

5 Likes

Will do! Thanks!

3 Likes

Hey so the entire E string raddles no matter what feet you play. I don’t care if it’s noticeable when plugged in or not because it’s bothersome enough. Seems like it takes a certain touch to prevent the rattling, but it’s clear that the whole string is affected by the raddling. How should I approach this?

Here are some pictures of the neck-to-string relationship and the action. I actually tried harder with the pressure I put on the E string and it kind of made a difference. Problem was you would get the raddle when you slide to a different note, and I for one don’t want to press so hard to avoid it.

4 Likes

My first
My everyday
My just got here today.

14 Likes

Thanks for the pics, @Jbassist284 - it is still tough to come with good input though…

It all looks OK, but that is just judging from the photos. I would have started with asking you to check whether the string sits correctly everywhere (esp. at the bridge and nut), but you seem to have checked that!? Still, maybe loosen the string a bit and then stretch/wiggle it to see whether it moves somewhere or slides into a more “natural” position. The action seems a bit high perhaps, but that should not be too much of an issue with “rattling”…

Also, “rattling” is an ambiguous term… is the string rattling alone or because it hits some parts of the neck/frets or other parts of the bass? Did you say it was the same for the open string? Is the string producing a correct pitch/sound apart from the rattle? is the rattle more of a buzz? Are you fretting correctly, i.e., just behind the fret (but towards the bridge)? How are you plucking - fingers, plectrum, hard, soft, in the “right” direction??

We probably need sound and video to be able to come up with more suggestions!

8 Likes

Nice collection @Cdecoteau.

3 Likes

It is more of a buzz than a raddle and it’s actually quite subtle now but you could hear it from the amp and without it. I think it all sits well regarding the string and there isn’t any bowing. I don’t know if Fender does this but when trying to adjust the truss rod either direction it wouldn’t budge. There aren’t any differences in fret heights either. I’d say it sits on the nut good and tight, though I don’t know if the diagonal design of the nut is normal but all strings are snug in it.

1 Like

I can’t tell anything from your video, @Jbassist284 . . . sorry :frowning:

I have the same bass as you do, and my first impression is that there isn’t anything wrong with it. If this is your first bass and you haven’t played bass before now, then it is probably fretting technique or your E-string might be too low.

I’m sure others will chime in with their opinions.

All best, Joe

4 Likes

Yeah, other than getting slightly sea-sick, I didn’t get too much out of that video either, @Jbassist284 :slight_smile:

The sliding is not helping here, really! What I might have heard earlier on in the video was something similar to not having fretted correctly (like @Jazzbass19 also suggested) - do you have a chance to set the phone/camera on a tripod and record such that we could see your fretting hand/finger also??

Not sure I quite understand this correctly… but don’t expect that you really can see by eye whether the bow of the neck has changed after adjusting the truss rod… that takes some experience and is really hard (and not necessary really). Just remember not to just wildly turn the truss rod in either directions - these adjustments are delicate!

5 Likes

The truss rod will not rotate? That’s a problem you should get checked out.

6 Likes

Assuming I need to even mess with it right now. I know that generally as the seasons change (esp. Temperatures) there’s that need to tweak the bass again.

1 Like

If the truss rod won’t rotate at all there may be a problem with the neck. Definitely don’t try to force it but if I were in that situation I would get it looked at.

4 Likes

Sorry about the shaky video :sweat_smile: I unfortunately don’t have a tripod but the sliding is the only way it seems to buzz now, and perhaps that’s actually normal.

2 Likes

Does it only buzz if you fret in the middle of a fret or toward the next lower fret towards the nut? If so, that’s normal. Fretting technique wise, you want to fret up near the fret wire for the next higher (towards the bridge) fret.

3 Likes