Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Edit: I read your post wrong but that Squire looks like a good deal! Even for that price.

4 Likes

Wow @T_dub that is a double great deal. You practically stole that Squier. Congrats x2!

5 Likes

Good deal. I picked up my CV p bass for around 200, and it is a surprisingly fun bass to play. Mine is a 70s, if I’m not mistaken, that’s a 60s?

I really like the Geezer pickup I put in mine, and the Hipshot bridge

3 Likes

Thats a REALLY nice looking bass

12 Likes

Just splashed out on a new (second hand) Hofner ignition:

I had been kind of drifting toward getting one for a while now and @JerryP 's cover the other day gave me the final push over the edge :slight_smile: I checked the smallads and would you know it a guy 10 mins away was selling one - I even got his Vox headphone amp thrown in.

Generally impressed :+1:. Really light and comfortable to play. M’good lady likes the shorter scale and the flatwounds. Definitely fills a gap in my (modest) collection! However, there is a slight high pitched whine noticeable through the headphones which I’m not sure about.

What is definitely needs though in my opinion is pinstriping. I’m thinking something like this on the back:

Anyway - to be continued!

14 Likes

Very nice @Ed ! Congratulations! Glad I could be of some help.

5 Likes

:slight_smile:

Actually while you’re here, what strings do you use for your Hofner? I’ve heard D’addario Chromes are good.

3 Likes

Oh, yeah, that does it justice just fine. I have always loved Shecters. I have never picked up one that I didn’t automatically have a connection with. That said, I LOVE neck thru designs. They make the connection that much stronger with playing one.
I love the color scheme you picked up. IDK much about the pick ups, but they are supposed to be amazing.01

Congratulations on the bass.
I too understand liking an Ibanez sr370 as well, but, like you, once I found the bass that was right for me, I stopped playing the Ibanez SR300 and SR400 I had, and ended up selling them both. Which was a big step fro me, due to fact,l

7 Likes

With all the recent issues people are having with Hipshot, delivery and customer service, I am thinking I will be putting a different bridge on it. Maybe the one @John_E nd Al @Al1885 put on theirs, the saddle less bridge, I just can’ ever remember the name of the guy who made it.

I am 99.999999 percent sure that Geezer pick ups are going to the be first thing to drop in.

Plus, I am going with Black hardware, so I will be swapping out the tuners as well, but since not hipshot, not sure what one I will do yet. Maybe Gotoh or something of that out.

Same with the Ibanez SrRX00. Not sure if I will even upgrade the pick up it is very unusual and I like the feel and sound and options. I think I will upgrade the tuners, and bridge however

3 Likes

Ray Ross bridge @T_dub ?

4 Likes

yep

2 Likes

They certainly are very cool :sunglasses:

1 Like

I know right… I’m kind of watching the local shops for the right deal on a 1x15 cab (300 watts or more @ 8 ohms) to trade the Ibanez in for. But haven’t been able to bring myself to put up the ad to sell it outright. Even though I know I’ll get more money that way. In the back of my mind I think the Ibanez would make a fine backup bass should I ever become a gigging bass player.

2 Likes

I use LaBella Beatle Bass Flatwounds…sound amazing on there

3 Likes

Thanking you kindly sir :+1:

3 Likes

I use the LaBella flats for the Hofner.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/760FHBB--la-bella-760fhbb-beatle-bass-flatwound-bass-strings-standard

4 Likes

I think we have a definfite winner here :slight_smile: Thanks!

1 Like

You can get them quite readily. The tuners are trickier with black/gold.

1 Like

So since I filled up my rack/stand time to present all of my babes, and give my thought about em.

Flight EJB10-SB Jazz Bass

My first bass, was dirty cheap new, however it’s honestly great for beginning if properly checked before buying (I didnt know what to look for at that time). Only two things were always bothering me about it, it’s uneven frets (which is fixable) and baseball v shaped neck.
I played it alot lately before new Jazzy arrived.

SBMM Ray4

I just love this bass, you get so much great craftsmanship for such low price. And that Ray growl. Recently I put Hybrid Slinkeys on it, and damn, this thing is ringing for days. However after new strings and obtaining of mixer with DI, I really started to notice those farts coming from low and high tones as @T_dub was saying. Next money will probably go towards Aguillar AG4M since its already proven to be great pickup swap option.

Fender Player Series Mustang Bass

This bass is most expensive bass I own, and I rue the day I decided to get it. Most of people here already know story with it, so yeah, least favorite one.

NEWCOMER! Squier CV 70s Jazz Bass

Okay it just arrived, and it is posssibly honeymoon phase, but man oh man. First thing I did was compared hardware to Fender Mustang and peepz I tell ya Squier is superior to Fender MIM. Tuners are much more precise, knobs are not flappy, fretwork is perfect and nut doesnt poke. I just want to see, once strings and neck settles, how well do they hold tuning.
And sound, oh man, I love this Jazz sound. That bridge PU position really gives it different tone. And that neck color is awesome. However so far I found some production issues, but they are so minor scale, get it? Theres s small dot on body where neck joins, lacker broke on the edge, but it doesn’t bother me since I plan to make this my project bass. Also theres a bit lacker popout on back side of the neck where truss rod is laid in. Also can be fixed easily with razor or sandpaper. All in all, I’m very happy with purchase, and I think I got new favorite.

Plans for future: Hopefully I’ll stop buying new basses, just maybe I’ll get a P once I sell Mustang. But for Squier plan is to change body color to fit color of the neck (tinted natural), put in Fender Gen4 Noiseless pups, and maybe upgrade bridge and tuners.

For Ray plan for now is just to get AG4M.

15 Likes

Congrats on the Squier Jazz, this is one of my absolute favorites too, and what I did all my lessons on, and still do.
it is great as is but also a great platform to mod on.

Enjoy it, the back ones are awesome looking!

4 Likes