Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

That looks solid mate.
Love the look.
Is it ESP or LTD
Man it looks so cool, and love the block inlays.
That is another thing I don’t have as of yet, a bass with block inlays.
What is wrong with me, how could this have happened.
Damn it, back to the drawing board.

2 Likes

Well, just to give you a heads up - I had it for a while, but sold it on in the end. It’s very very hot and difficult to get under control - very loud. The action was pretty bad too, and it does have some neck dive. Admittedly, the last 2 points are workable, but I think you’d possibly need to change or at least lower the pickups to get it less hot. Just for info!

3 Likes

Warwick is one of my dream bass. :smiley: Is this a german or chinese made?

4 Likes

Bass by Orange? Checks out :slight_smile:

That sentence is a great description of their amps too (for guitar anyway :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Its fully German made. It’s 25 years old and it still feels like a new bass. Such good quality on those Warwicks. I read somewhere that the pro series parts are manufactured in Germany but assembled somewhere else. The ones from China are fine too!

At the moment I’m replacing a few parts that are super cheap from the warwick shop. The frets are a bit worn out after 25 years of playing and could be the cause for a bit of fret buzz on some notes. Will replace those parts first before I go to a luthier for the frets. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

The “Pro” series were actually MiK. And very high quality, and sought after right behind the Teambuilts.

I’ve owned two of the Rockbasses (made in China) and they were just fine. Quite different sound than the Teambuilts though (brighter and less growly - though still growly). Also lighter and less contoured. So definitely different basses but still good.

5 Likes

There we go! Think you said it before too. I owned a pro and that one was just as good as this oldie.

5 Likes

Yeah they are definitely good buys, people loved them.

5 Likes

I defo like the corvette body much better then the streamer body. Thats the reason i sold my streamer. Also the growl with j/j pickups is insane. Didn’t expected that.

4 Likes

So, I took this one apart to clean it up.
Removed the strings, and gave it a really good cleaning, especially the neck, as it has along to fret marks showing between the frets from playing, and if I had to guess it was from playing with some extremely dirty strings.

Here are the pictures after cleaning up the bass. I will probably do some before and after pictures so you can see how much difference it made with a little fretboard oil and elbow grease,

Side by side, the left photo’s are with strings prior to cleaning. The right photo’s are strings removed with thorough cleaning.

The main body, strings, and less strings, cleaned up

Full shot of the neck with strings

Shots of the frets after fairly thorough cleaning. I expect to get it cleaned more, or I still have not decided if I ell replace the neck yes

Head stock, front and back

And finally a nice picture of the back of the bass, after a good wipe down

SO, final thoughts.
I am really loving this bass so far.
It is a Classic vibe Squire P bass. It is a couple years old due to the disontuned color, but being close to orange, it suits me just fine.
I got it for less then the price of an Affinity Squire, which is what the sellerr had is advertised ass, with asking price of $160, which I got down to $140 due the horribly dirty strings and the horrible scuff marks that the dirty strings left on the fretboard, and I was going to have to really work to get those out… Fortunately for me, he was happy to take the $140, and I was ecstatic to get this classic vibe squire P bass.

NOW

Do I keep it, or do I clean it up and flip it for near 2x what I paid for it.
Being tha tI should not be buying basses at the moment, and only really talked myself into buying this for the sale, I might have to listen my gut, and put on a set of strings, and make my money back, and then some, then find the next sucker of a deal (er, I mean great deal that somebody doesn’t know what it is they have or sale), and just keep rolling basses, which has been a theme of mine for some time.

BUT

I have wanted a P bass for some time now. And I do have the Pete Went Signature bass to fill that slot, but it is a signature, with a Jazz neck, and only a volume tone, and it is really really cool. But can I make it into the Geezer Buttler P bass I so long for.
IDK, Time will tell.
But I won’t deny that I have been shopping Geezer EMG pick ups, and I won’t deny that I have been looking to order a black bridge, tuners, string tree, and even some of those bak knobs, like Al uses on his P bass builds, the cool ones with the little stones in the caps.
Oh Al @Al1885, you are going to have to tell me where to get those knobs.

So.

Maybe I will be keeping this one after all, and flipping the Ibanez SRX that I also got for a stupid crazy price, that would be too easy to flip for the profit I needed to make this P bass mine.
URG… decisions

More on the breakdown of this bass later today after I get some rest.
It is 6 am, and I have been up allmnight, so I need to crash before I tear this one apart.

Thing about this one is, thee is not much to do to it but clean it up, add strings and have some fun with it for a bit, otherwise then that, not much upgrade potential.

15 Likes

Wow, the P bass was super gunky but cleaned up nicely. Nice work.

4 Likes

You had a most excellent bass week @T_dub!
These are both awesome gets!
You really have a knack for finding good deals.

3 Likes

Hi,
I got one old bass guitar and now i am going to recover it.
I am just curious about the brand and model of that guitar.
If someone could recognize it.
Here is a picture:

10 Likes

Blimey no idea! Some weird jazz perhaps?

2 Likes

It’s super interesting! What’s the scale length (nut to E string bridge saddle), it looks like a shorter scale to me, on account of how close the bridge is to the fretboard and the huge realestate from the bridge to the edge of the body.

Are there any numbers or names on the headstock or neck plate? If not, it may be a DIY or a one off.

3 Likes

No number or Names
later on i will measure it

3 Likes

No number or names either? Bizarre.

Is that what looks like a “J” on the headstock?

2 Likes

The knobs are from black zap seller on reverb. That looks great Toby. Check out the sound on that first. Classic vibe has very similar tone to the Vintera line. You’d be surprised.

The only thing I didn’t like about the Vintera pickup was the lack of output power. At the time I was too lazy I didn’t have my pedals or amp setup just a spark40 using headphones. Now I have all of the power I need to push that pickup. I might put it back on one of my p bass

4 Likes

Yes, it is the only sign.

2 Likes

Wow, you did one hell of a job.

Totally your call, but personally I’d keep the SRX. That’s one fine looking bass. That said, I am far more partial to Ibanez than I am J/P basses. Of course, the ultimate question is:

when-people-ask-me-if-we-should-get-fries-or-wings-with-our-pizza-why-not-both-1460322811

:slight_smile:

4 Likes