Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

This brings up a great subject - not sure if it fits here or not… but: naming the bass? Anyone out there a bass namer? I never have been. I usually call them “The Modulus” or “The P-Bass” - feels like a name, but it’s not an extra naming process. I’ve always been curious how people go about giving their instruments names.

4 Likes

Yes I want to know what people think of that too! Starting a thread - here.

2 Likes

New bass day! I go back to Iowa frequently to see Mom and do stuff for her around the house. I thought it would be nice to have a bass around, so I went to GC and picked up a Bronco and a Fender Rumble 25, and the ancillary gear that goes along with it.

I asked Mom for a corner to store it. She said the bass was so pretty I could leave it in the living room as art. Lol! I played the Billie Jean groove I painstakingly learned. She was impressed. I can also do a passable intro to Smoke on the Water.

The tinkerer in me won’t be satisifed, so when I come back next month, I’ll have new strings and a better bridge. I’ll bring my setup tools too.

That’s right. Mom still has shag carpet in the breezeway!

17 Likes

The bass is rad… the shag carpet though - steals the show!

8 Likes

love that bass, the color and the whole mod thing going on in that house, those tiles are cool.

2 Likes

Looks great!

My grandma had a carpet rake just for shag carpet!

8 Likes

Yeah, the carpet is clearly the main subject in this photo. :slight_smile: Let us know how you like the Bronco! I haven’t played one for years, I remember being kinda meh about it.

1 Like

I don’t know if it will be meh, or not. But it will serve it’s purpose and give me something to do while I’m visiting Mom.

4 Likes

For sure. Didn’t mean to diss your new bass, hope you love it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know you didn’t. It’s all good. I’m such a noob still, that any bass is cool as heck. It will probably stay that way, too. :grinning:

6 Likes

Loving all these basses, y’all.
Oh, here is my bass. It’s an Epiphone SG-style, but it’s shorter scale than the EB-3 that they sell now (30.5"). I hope to some day be worthy of it.

8 Likes

Love the short scales!

4 Likes

Oooooooh pretty.

1 Like
  • from your posts, I can see and hear that you love the funk and the jammy jams… but with a bass like that, do you think you have it in you to try out something like… this? I love these guys…
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9ehMs9i_Ik
6 Likes

Wow that beard is off the chain. And I love the tone of that bass, so huge and boomy! Those big fat neck humbuckers are neat.

4 Likes

I will definitely try out stuff like that. I grew up loving bands like Cream , which is partly why I was attracted to my SG-type bass, but also because it was the best sounding short-scale in the store when I was ready to buy. Love hardish rock like Led Zep (one of my first concerts was Black Sabbath–ha!), and psychedelic rock, and I love punk, all of it. I am only halfway through Josh’s B2B course, but I look forward to all the rock bass lines coming up. I do gravitate these days toward R&B and funk and jazz, but at this point I can’t quite see me playing all those slaps (but we will see). Really the 12-bar blues is the first thing I have been able to master.
This bass I have seems versatile. I have been playing with those four knobs, and I found it can sound smooth, it can sound twangy, and switch that switch to #2 and turn up all the knobs… nasty! Thanks for the link to Kadavar! They are a throwback yet have their own style. I kind of love it when the bass player is just standing still, contrasting the front man/woman. Glad to know great hard rockers are still blooming.

4 Likes

I love those violin basses, both the way they look and sound.

3 Likes

Yes it has that “Early Beatles” sound but I can’t play it like Paul McCartney, not at this point anyway. But when I get better I’m going to look for a Vox amp to complete the “sound”. The short scale makes stretching the fingers easier but I have to say I’m partial to the Fender.

3 Likes

New Bass Day! I’m fretless curious, so I picked up a Squier Fretless P bass. The fretboard is smooth. Being a newbie, I like that the lines are still there. I like how it plays. You get a little more leeway with getting a good note, because you didn’t land in the wrong spot. I’m going to do the mods I like. Babicz bridge and La Bella Flats, and set it up. I have two sets of flats coming. One is the normal tension and the other is the La Bella 1954 Flatwounds. I’m a little scared to put them on. Everything I’ve read, says they are very high tension and harder to play. But I think the sound would be cool.

I’m hoping the experienced cats will chime in and put my fear to rest, or tell me to run away, like in Monty Python! :rofl:

9 Likes

I’ve got super heavy LaBella flats on my P bass (fretted), I think the same ones you’re talking about. Never had any problems with them messing up the bass or anything. I loooove them. Can’t wait for them to be a few years old and get super dead and thumpy.

FWIW, there’s nothing “newbie” about having fret line markers on a fretless, you can see plenty of pros with necks like that. Big difference from putting big pink stickers on your fretted bass. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes