Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Quilted maple has a more muted tone, almost like wood with a soft, old, handmade by a grandma blanket over it.

12 Likes

I am keeping them on for a short time to work on my slap technique and they are new. I have a set of D’Addario Chrome flats that will eventually go on this one. These Fenders are rough. I actually feel like my plucking and fretting slowed down cause they cause a huge amount of friction when playing. I just gotta work on my slap technique a little, then they come off. This bass does “BOOM” when slapped right. Better than any other bass I have.

5 Likes

Pure maple has a smooth, almost sweet tone like syrup

6 Likes

Grade A!

5 Likes

She is here, my Squier CV 60 in Sonic Blue.

She looks nice; fit and finish are good, not perfect. Where the neck meets the body could be more elegant, but everything is tight and no pointy bits around the frets, a workman’s bass.

The neck feels good to me, some substance but thinner than I expected. Glossy finish like you see on Squiers, but I have green 3m pads should arrive tomorrow.

Now to change the strings to Billy Sheehan’s, pickup to Dimarzio Billy Sheehan Relentless, pots to Dimarzio, add a Wilkinson bridge, maybe a himass one down the road, add Strap Locks, FOne oil on the neck, FingerEeze on the back of the neck, and we’ll be good to go.

First tune her up and see how she sounds now

I know Johnny Dibble has several videos bashing how Squier packs a bass…she was packed just fine. This is my 3rd Squier bass and all were packed fine.

18 Likes

Nice colour @Wombat-metal .
I had the same little niggles with quality control when I got my short scale from Squier . It’s a shame really as overall they make a really good bass for the money

7 Likes

I still think they’re a good bass. Just with a little effort it would be great, but then it would rival the Fender Players, at twice the cost.

Squier bridge top, Wilkinson bottom. The Wilkinson is much more solid.

And done, for now.

I was going to put the original pickguard back on, but the holes would have to be enlarged to fit the pots. Wasn’t prepared for thar tonight< Still, she looks good, a cool vibe to it.

She needs a setup, the D string is a bit loud, so the pickups need adjusting. But she sounds nice.

17 Likes

I was tired last night. After my surgery last year, when I run out of energy, my tank is completely empty. I wasn’t thinking the best.

So this morning I lowered the pickups some, lowered the strings some on the bridge, and she sounds much better. In fact she sounds wonderful.

I messed up the wiring somehow, the tone control isn’t working, I will address that later as she has good tone now.

6 Likes

Have to say the 3m pad took the gloss off very easily. May have over done it a bit, but the neck feels great on the Squier now

9 Likes

I really love how the squier turned out. I like the wide nut and relatively thin neck. The dark queen is much easier to play with the gorgeous Charvel neck and compound radius, but I’m not struggling on the squier by any means.

I can play a P neck as easily as a J neck. If that’s not signs of progress I don’t know what is.

I’m just crazy over it, and the MDB5. And I think one reason on the Squier is I did all the upgrades on my own.

Now maybe some tuners.

And work up the nerve to apply the 3M pad to my Schecter neck

6 Likes

That reflective pick guard is awesome.

5 Likes

Which color pad did you use?

5 Likes

Green

6 Likes

Which you had advised in an earlier thread

6 Likes

This one?

11 Likes

Yes, but @Wombat-metal will need to keep the Windex handy! :mirror:

7 Likes

Not as bad as an Aerodyne finish

6 Likes

The new Ibanez SR370E

28 Likes

Beautiful!

9 Likes

From left to right - 2022 Fender American Ultra Precision, 2009 Musicman Stingray, and 2014 Gibson Thunderbird. Love the tone range I can get with these.

24 Likes