Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Dang! Big pink stickers were next on the list. :crazy_face:

I’m going to put the 1954’s on when they come in.

3 Likes

Very Cool!

1 Like

Let us know how they feel!

1 Like

I strung it all up. You can tell there is a lot more tension on the strings. I put the Babicz bridge on, and was able to get the action to a comfortable level. I’ve been working on a lesson and I like how it plays and sounds. I like the fretless bass. SK makes a short scale fretless, if I could find one, I think I would get it. I am getting more comfortable with the long scale bass.

3 Likes

I have an EB0 too. a black one. The neck pickup is wicked.

4 Likes

agree!

3 Likes

I’ve been reading about SX basses for awhile. I decided to get one. The price point was attractive. This is one beautiful bass. I like the old school covers and thumb rest. In my quest to test drive different sounds, I put La Bella Tapewounds on. It set up and intonated fine. It sustains for a very long time. I don’t know if it’s the covers or the strings. The tuners were prone to hanging up, but they seem to have loosened up. The great thing about being a beginner, is everything sounds cool and any bass I get my hands on, is the best bass ever!

12 Likes

Here are 2 of mine that get the most play. One is a Peavey Cirrus, the other is a Music Man Sterling Ray 34 which is quickly becoming my favorite. I was never into the pickup placement of the Music Man’s but I’m really digging it.

14 Likes

I’ve heard the bridge covers were originally designed becuae they thought electric basses would be played with picks only. Do you find it difficult to play without picks when they are on?

2 Likes

It’s not a problem. There is a thumb rest above the strings. It works great.

3 Likes

That sure is a nice looking bass!

3 Likes

Your Mom rocks!!!

2 Likes

I seem to be alone in that area over here. That’s the sound that has always appealed to me more than say the slap/funk tone.

3 Likes

When I decided to try Bass I started by making my own. What better way to understanding an instrument than making it. So I did it twice :-). First was the Bass(fish) U-Base, My qwerky sense of humor. Before you tell me I know you spell it BassUBass.
The BassUBase has a 22" scale and is made from Paduk (red wood) and Pau Amarillo(yellow wood). With Wenge for the head and Black Palm for the fingerboard. It is acoustic with 3 piezos in it and the sound from the rubber strings I put on was very poor so I changed to Micro Bass Silverbacks (Silver wrapped nylon core) 049, 065, 090, 115. Acoustic volume doubled.

The white Bass has a 31" scale is made from Curly Maple the body stripes are Black Palm and the fingerboard is Gabon Ebony. The 1st set of strings were Ernie Ball 50, 70, 85, 105 and they sounded good even to my (battery operated ears) hearing aids. I switched to swing bass 40, 50, 75, 90 Sound is a bit light for my liking.

Due to shoulder damage I may never be able to use the first 2 frets on the 31" so I’m doing this course on the UBass. When I get good at it I’m looking at an Ibanez GSRM20 with a 28.6" scale. I also added this for the benefit! of anyone looking for a short scale Bass.

11 Likes

I like both! Just depends on what you’re going for. Wouldn’t want to use my Jamerson-wannabe bass on a fusion gig.

Wow @jamesa.watt, cool basses! That’s so amazing to me that you built those yourself, I can barely adjust my own trussrod. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6 Likes

One thing I forgot to mention: I didn’t like the metal nuts I bought so the nuts on both are made from bone. Don’t tell the dog she hasn’t noticed one is missing. :slight_smile: For setting nut and string height look for John Carruthers on U-tube. He simplifies the process.

7 Likes

They are beautiful. Great work man. I Like the idea of more people building shorties!

2 Likes

That thing is super duper rad. Way to go. And I know what you mean about the rubber strings vs the metal over nylon core. It makes a huge difference!

2 Likes

That is very cool. Not many folks go, “Hey! I think I’ll build a Bass today”, then actually do it. Mad respect.

4 Likes

Wow! Just WOW!

2 Likes