Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

@jamesa.watt I wouldn’t even know where to begin to build a bass. Impressive. Now you just need to build an amp :wink:

3 Likes

It’s one thing soldering in the switches and pickups, but , putting together a pre-amp, amp and speaker configuration is beyond me. The hardest part of building a Bass is the frets on the fingerboard. StewMac has a chart where you put in the scale and number of frets you want and it tells you exactly where the frets go. When building just remember 12th fret is half way between nut face and bridge and 24th fret is approx half way between 12th and bridge.
I use Microsoft paint if you want to see what I’m working on.

26" or 660mm scale.
Just remember nothing is definite till it’s done.

4 Likes

I bought this 25 years ago and never got around to playing until friends of mine realised we all had unused instruments in lofts and decided to learn

11 Likes

Nice @stu.mcc! Interesting pickup arrangement, I don’t often see P-style neck pickups paired with a humbucker in the bridge.

1 Like

Sorry dude you’re gonna have to explain what you mean
I bought her second hand like that for £90 from a mate at work
Loving the course

1 Like

Haha, no worries. The pickup in the neck position is a split-coil pickup like you see on a Fender Precision bass:

And most often when I see a bass with that pickup plus a bridge-position pickup, it’s another single coil like on a Jazz bass:

But the Peavey has a dual-coil “humbucker” pickup in the bridge position.

(From Wikpedia: A humbucker is a type of pickup that uses two coils to “buck the hum” (or cancel out the interference) picked up by coil pickups caused by electromagnetic interference)

Hope that clarifies what I meant! Doesn’t really matter all that much, just something to nerd out about. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Beautiful work jamesa.watt! both of those basses are spectacular! I love the short scales and that Ubass is not only adorable but looks handy for traveling or having on hand at work and such. Mad props for your woodworking!

2 Likes

i too have been wondering what these words mean! thnx for your patient explanations.

3 Likes

Answered like a true teacher & even includes diagrams!
Now i can sound like i know what I’m talking about & get my full bass nerd geek on :-):laughing:

3 Likes

I’ve been after an old Mustang. I finally pulled the trigger. It a 2008-2010 CIJ reissue. The 60’ and 70’s models are way to pricy. The case was perfect, as was the Bass. I think it might have been NOS. Basscat approved. :wink:

13 Likes

Haha, didn’t know that hard cases fit basses AND cats. That bass looks awesome!

2 Likes

LOVE that bass. The store I teach at just got one in and I can’t stop playing on it when I’m there. Well done!

4 Likes

My family photo. The Peavey in the natural finish is my latest addition. The other r-l are an Ibanez GSR200; Washburn AEB5; Epiphone Les Paul Limited Edition. The amps are a Behringer Ultrabass BX1200 & an Ibanez IBZ15B

9 Likes

You should purchase that bad motor scooter. :grinning:

4 Likes

I bought this '80s vintage XL-2 sometime around 1995, and the only reason it didn’t gather dust is that it has a case. I rescued it from the closet a couple of months ago, stumbled on Josh’s lessons … so far so good! (Despite having Ned’s name on it, the tuner out at the tail just barely hangs on, but it works!)

11 Likes

I have three. Each one is my favorite for their own reasons. I love my Fender Elite Jazz bass because of the versatility and tonal quality. The Ibanez GSR200SM is light weight and great for just jammin around the house with backing tracks. I also have a Martin BCP4 acoustic/ electric. Its got a beautiful sound and is a great bass for playing along with my wife on her acoustic guitar.

11 Likes

Nice basses! They even all fit the same color palette. :stuck_out_tongue: :paintbrush: :art:

3 Likes

Josh
I got a few weeks into the lessons and started looking to upgrade my guitar. A friend gave a cheap starter Ibanez it was a good start. I went through your starter bass comparisons several times. I wanted the Yamaha 304 but no one in this area had one. A borrowed an Ibanez 400 and loved it. A few weeks ago I bought a new Ibanez SE 300E. I put my favorite strings on it the DR flat wound strings and had it set up at a music store. I play in a band at church and the guys on the sound board say that this guitar is the cleanest sounding bass they have heard. ( compared to another Ibanez and a Fender. I loved this bass. It is comfortable to hold and play, sounds really good!
I got my guitar from Reverb for $325 this is a great starter guitar but certainly all I will ever need
I am now on module 10 and chugging away and enjoying my bass.
Don
image|375x500

10 Likes

Awesome!
I’m a big fan of the intro Ibanez stuff - even that middle range is rad. For the price, they usually have killer value.
Well done there!

1 Like

Nice! I like those basses. Plus it’ll make all your sparkly silver Spandex clothes. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes