Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Awesome Bass, I was just trying one out at GC over the weekend and loved it!

2 Likes

Picked up a couple additions! Both Squiers; 20th Anniversary Jazz in Shoreline Gold on the left & a VM Jaguar SS on the right. Only change may be the pickguard on the Jazz to a tortoise shell. No plans to change any of the electronics until I get good enough to notice the difference.

8 Likes

Ooh pretty! I like those finishes!

1 Like

Love the black headstock too. Cool beans.

1 Like

Josh: love the Peavey! Its a beauty!! I was looking at a similar natural wood body before I decided on my Fender Squire!
Rock On!! :metal::metal:

2 Likes

This is my first bass; my Squire!! A Fender Squire P Bass. I just started playing a few weeks ago.
I have always wanted to learn how to play guitar, but I became interested in learning how to play bass when my church praise group said that they were looking for a bass player. So one day I went into the local music store to pick up my daughter an oboe, then I made the mistake of walking into the guitar room and saw a bunch of beauties. I immediately picked up up and started looking for “How To” videos on YouTube. I came across this page and the rest is history. I am loving this course so far!!! :metal: :metal:

7 Likes

Welcome, that’s a very good bass! I have the same one. When I first got it I was all about getting a fender p bass. But I got it setup and put on flats and I just love it! Geat bass, great teacher! I’d say that you’re in a wonderful place right now.

3 Likes

Ooh nice colors, hope you have a white tux with black buttons and bowtie to match. :stuck_out_tongue:

Glad you stumbled on bass! It’s a great place to stumble. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey all ! First off thanks for teaching this and I’ll definitely buy any more you put out there I’ve improved tons.

My bass, Flea Water bass with Lane Poor pickup :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Oh and my Fender Jazz Bass made of Ash with flat strings .

7 Likes

Oooh, cool Fleabass! And nice Jazz too of course, hard to go wrong there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I usually bring my Mustang on the road. I have a Mono case and a Tick for the speakers. It’s a little unweildy and heavy. This time, I brought my Fender American and a Vox headphone amp. It’s much lighter and easier to carry on the plane. The Bose headsets work great. The little Vox amp puts out a nice sound. It has 3 drum tracks you can play along to, but I haven’t been able to figure out if you can control the time. It’s too fast for me.

This may become my go to road bass. Just because it’s lighter to carry. Plus, I’m really liking the Bass. It has great sound, and fits well. The longer scale is not the issue it was at first. I guess I’m bonding! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

I’m pretty sure you can change the tempo of the drums with one of the dials on the Vox… been a while since I used mine so I forget which one.

3 Likes

These are my two darlings…
The ARIA Pro II I got as a present from my sisters some 32 years back. First it was quite hard to play, but I made a set up after I saw how near Josh’s strings are to his fret board. Then also I changed to flatwounds. Since this set up, it is very comfortable to play and its sound is quite deep. I could recommend it very much for beginners with a small budget.

The Framus Star Bass is from 1967. I got it from a guitar player in Spain. It is in absolute mint condition, it has a medium fretboard and therefore is somewhat softer to play. I installed some roto sound swing bass 66 strings and I’m very happy with them.
I also bought the Hofner Flatwounds, but they were unfortunately not fitting because of how they are wound in the Lower ends.

7 Likes

Cool axes! Glad you figured out the setup on the ARIA, it’s amazing what that can do.

Jaco strings! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh my goodness. I love these basses. They are beautiful. Enjoy!!!

1 Like

Thanks, Yeah I already do enjoy it. The Framus has a very unique sound, when you play only the front pickup, it sounds quite near to a standup bass. But you have many many options with the the two pickups to get also sharp, deep or complex sounds out of it. Now I just have to learn to play her :wink:
Have to get used to the very slim neck and the softer strings.

1 Like

Finally received my gear!

Sire Marcus Miller V9 Swamp Ash / Orange Crush Bass 50BX

Got the bass from Thomann, natural finish was almost 200€ less than the ASH finish. No hard case with this one.

Got the amp from a local shop, brought the V9 there to be checked as I found E and A strings had fret buzz, had the truss rod and action set in front of me, so got some first hand reference.

Includes a translucent pickguard that can be clip-on on with or w/o screws, also a chrome cover for the neck pickup which I didn’t put on.

Really nice woordworking craftmanship (Made in Indonesia). Really versatile and rich tone, sustains forever!.

Weights less than 5Kg/11lbs.

Pots feel quality, both the material used (not the same as in V7) and the feedback while adjusting.

It can be passive/active, no eq (bass/mid/treble) in passive mode. No dramatic sound difference from passive to active mode (eq flat), has an internal trimpot to set the pasive/active volume to your liking, which it seems to be set level on mine.

I just went throught the first 2 lessons so cannot judge, absolute newbie… but to my eng ears sound glorious, really happy to have bit the bullet.

Still getting some fret buzz from the A string, need to position the bass really vertical and pluck carefully (pararllel to fretboard) for it not to happen, guess a lot it’s in the technique also.

The amp sounds to me as a great match, complimenting the already nice tone and great resolution.

Packs the punch enough for practicing or studio recording, can be hauled single handed and includes aux-in and a chromatic tuner.

Definitely won’t cut it for jamming nor wall-shacking practice, but I’m afraid the Crush 100 won’t either, so preferred an easy to carry self-contained unit for practice, will get a head + cab once I “grow” into bass playing.

Bass amplification requires the more headroom the better, so won’t go for anything less than 200W (SS) once I reach that moment! Maybe 100W if I go the DIY route with tubes, short from speakers I have almost all the parts to build a tube head… KT88’s should fit the bill nicely.

5 Likes

This looks like a killer rig. Well done.

3 Likes

While surfing tonight I ran across this Gretsch G2202 & just couldn’t pass it up! $175 to the door! Looking forward to comparing it to my Squier VM Jaguar SS.

9 Likes