Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Love those basses! It made me want to start a neo-soul band, and buy a nice suit. Hope it works out for you!

3 Likes

Go Tube!

2 Likes

Does the volume change when you switch? (all other things equal)

The open A string? If so, sounds more like a setup thing, maybe the nut slot is too low or something…

1 Like

Ooh, funky!

1 Like

Does the volume change when you switch? (all other things equal)

No. But this can be set internally with a pot and a screwdriver.

The open A string? If so, sounds more like a setup thing, maybe the nut slot is too low or something…

Don’t know what to think… latest two days I’m not getting buzzes, dunno if I’m plucking better, or the new strings it came with (D’addario round wounds) needed some actual use to get “loose” homogeneously, but no buzzing lately.

What I notice is plucking has a ton of impact on the tone… on the Understanding the 12 Note System lesson depending on how good I plucked it will provide a pure tone/note, or would sound annoyingly springy.

1 Like

Cool!

Curious about the buzz disappearing… Any weather changes that might have adjusted the bass’s setup/moisture content/etc.?

1 Like

Yes, wheather changed a lot (rain) lately.

Now I’m getting the buzz on the E string :sob: :smile:

One thing is for sure, it keeps tuning like a champ.

I think I’m going to try setting action by myself following John Carruther’s videos.

3 Likes

So here is my Mitchell MB200. Bought it about a month ago. Picked up a hard case for it last week.
A nice maroon/red finish to it.
Pretty cool for my first bass.

11 Likes

Was browsing for acoustics Friday at work. Found a pretty sweet looking one and met the dude today.
Well… now I got another toy to play with.
An Ibanez Acoustic/Electric. It is sweet! Came with a strap, hard case, feedback buster and some other other goodies in the case.

6 Likes

Cool @Vinny_Cap! I don’t know those Mitchell basses but looks like it’ll work just fine. Cool that it’s got a 2 octave neck (even if the body wood makes it hard to get to the last 4 of them!).

2 Likes

My new family shot! Got the Gretsch 2202 Friday. It is really smooth & easy to play (for me)! Pretty sure I’m gonna be a short scale player, just more comfortable. Played my Squier Jazz tonight & isn’t as comfortable.! Now to decide whether to keep both shorties.

5 Likes

My son has the same model, sweet. Sounds pretty good through the amp too.

1 Like

Mitchell is the house brand at my local music store. Got a great deal on it.
They had a Fender there and an Ibanez but I hated the Tootsie Roll color of the Ibanez and didn’t like the color or head of the Fender so I went with the Mitchell.
I have not had any issues getting to the last 4 frets so far.

1 Like

Is it the Ibanez AEB5?
Sounds great unplugged and plugged in. I like the feedback buster the guy included. Have tried with and without. Help when close to the Amp.
How does he like it? I like both and keep switching between them.

1 Like

Feedback buster was a great inclusion. He did a Blue Peter on his. Sounds very good straight into the desk, even better with a good preamp and D.I. unit. He wouldn’t borrow me it, says I have to get my own…

1 Like

What is a Blue Peter?
That’s a shame he wont share with Dad.
I try to get my son to play. I have 2 basses, a BC Rich Warlock, drum set, bongos a tambourine and a weak lil keyboard… doesn’t seem interested in any… so sad.

1 Like

So here’s a pic of my gear, and I have a question/conundrum. (Nice one to have, tho).

When I started in 2016, I bought the Ibanez SR500 (2nd hand from GC). Played 4-5x a week for about 3mths, but only on Rocksmith. No ‘proper’ lessons. Then stopped for 18 mths.

Loved it, but had definite issues stretching across 4 frets, despite its thin neck and my fairly long spindly fingers (for a female).

Was 100% planning using the Ibanez again on this course - and hoped I’d learn some nifty microshifting tricks.

But… last month a friend left for 6 months travel in SE Asia. And also left me his ‘spare’ shortscale Gretsch Junior Jet 2224 (30.3" neck, 20 frets, chrome flats) And 1st dibs on buying it if I liked it.

So my question is re shortscales. Is it best to:
a) start on the Ibanez (but risk the frustration of not being able to fret and play properly?)
b) start on the Gretsch (and accomplish more, faster, but risk missing out on the 34" experience)

“Answers on a postcard, please”, as we say in the UK. (Another ‘Blue Peter’ reference for Muff & Vinny :wink: )
Cheers!

9 Likes

I say do the thing that either Sounds best to you, or feels best. In an ideal world, they’d be the same.
I love short scale basses. To quote the 2nd greatest bass teacher of all time (best is Yoda)… “You must do what you think is right, of course…”

2 Likes

Nice basses Shels!
I wanna try one of those short scale ones.
I would go with A as you own the Ibanez. Dabble with the Gretch here and there to mix it up and buy it if you can.
Just my thoughts as I am about to go browsing for a short scale now… like I need another! LOL

1 Like

Short scales are the bomb! I have an SX short scale I’m putting new pickups in, and a Bronco I’ve stripped and going to refinish, just to learn how to do it.

7 Likes