Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Nice Basses! @ asantora

2 Likes

Haha very cute little bass family! I think you should totally keep both shorties, those pickup styles/configurations will give you different tonal options. Plus they look great together.

@Shels, I agree with @Gio, there’s not really a right or wrong answer. Short scale basses are awesome, so are standard scale. I actually have had my eye on a couple short scales (looking at you, Fender Mustang…) even though my hands are ginormous.

Also I think you could adapt to whichever one you decide against now, later on, if you want to. It’s all the same technique, just different proportions and slightly different muscle memory.

Haha speak of the Mustang/devil @asantora, I made the above mustang comment before I saw those lovely 'stangs of yours. So much gear to buy, so little time. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Two years into my bass playing journey at 56+, my one trick pony is a U.S. made Fender Geddy Lee signature jazz bass, . . . my personal reward after completing the Beginner to Badass tutorial. I traded in my entry level Fender Precision for it. I’ve always enjoyed progressive rock bands like Rush, Yes, Kansas, etc. I have no visions of playing like Geddy or Chris Squire, but I enjoy noodling less complex riffs of classic rock bands.

11 Likes

Gosh, I forget I’m English sometimes. Blue Peter was/is a kids T.V. show that’s been running for 60 years! They used to do this thing that usually involved cardboard, glue and “sticky backed plastic”! It could be literally anything from a toy to a toilet roll holder. Usually had to be made with an adult, random quote - " Ask your mum for the scissors, or get her to cut them…" So to “Blue Peter it”, meant to invent and build your own, usually from household waste. Toilet rolls became rockets, cereal packets became robots etc. Can save a fortune and recycle at the same time.

8 Likes

Yes! I’m cracking with the nostalgia over here! I have the same problem/solution? I am definitely a short scale person. There is however a definite tone difference in the longer scale, somehow it’s “deeper”. So if I need that on a particular song or tracking session I practice/warm up on the shortie (an Epi EB0) first then build up gradually on the long scale (A Vintage Precision). It can usually be done without too much pain but it’s so good to have the option!

1 Like

Do it. You won’t be sorry. :yum:

2 Likes

We call that Macgyvering here in the Colonies. :rofl:

7 Likes

@ lopeha Nice basses! Couldn’t see the pic before.
Like the Rumble brothers! I have the 25.

@ johnny_mirrex Sweet Geddy Lee sig!! Good reward for ya!

@ muff Thanks for the explanation. I did go looking for it and found something similar. Your explanation is way better. " Go get your mum!" LOL

2 Likes

I would have gone down the Mustang rabbit hole as I love the necks, but I LOVE having a neck humbucker. I’m thinking of carving my precision and dropping a DiMarzio humbucker in there. It may be the cheaper option than yet another instrument…

2 Likes

Nice! I bet those are nice basses, I haven’t spent much time with one. Curious how they are for slap etc. even though they’re the Geddy Lee model. Not sure if the bass knows whose model it’s supposed to be. :slight_smile:

Hm interesting, it would be cool to A/B some short scale models of basses that are also made long scale and see how they tended to sound different. Would of course be tricky to be scientific since so many variables vary between even factory assembly line instruments with the “same” wood, electronics, etc.

2 Likes

I agree it would be very interesting. I did an A/B acoustically, (no amps!) with an EB0 and the EB3 hence the “deeper” quote. The only absolute difference being the neck/string length. You’re spot on about the variables though, myriad differences. Pickup routing, control cavities, weight of woods. It goes on!

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice Josh, @Gio, @Vinny_Cap and @muff…! I decided to stick with the Ibanez (and redo the 1 month course with the Gretsch in Jan if I really felt a need to).

Well, that was the plan anyway… I was all revved up for my ‘hardcore’ schedule, and did 3 lessons a day (plus practice) for the first week. Was loving it! Until Day 8, when I accidentally juggled a chef’s knife into the air while drying dishes - and made the stupid but instinctive mistake of trying to ‘catch’ it… Didn’t work out too well. One ER trip, 4 stitches, and 6 days later I finally have the gauze padding off and Bandaid on… I’ve stuck a felt pad to my pick up but it’s definitely affecting my plucking action… (that’s my excuse anyway!)

It’s been frustrating, but at least I got to spend more time reading various forum posts so I just want to say how much I love the support and interaction on here, and also seeing so many other female bass players like @Jill, @celestesmith, etc… :slight_smile:

Cheers!

8 Likes

Oh no!!! Juggling knives is way too hardcore even for the hardcore schedule.

It’s funny being a bass player… extreme athletes like skateboarders/snowboarders have to worry about actually getting seriously injured on the job, and we’ve just got to watch out for repetitive stress and making mistakes in the kitchen. :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve got a couple burns on my arm right now from being careless at making-pizza-at-home night a couple nights ago. :pizza::fire::hospital:

And I love how many female bass players we’ve got on the forum/doing the course too! I haven’t done the math but the proportion of female bassists hanging here and doing the Beginner to Badass course seems (subjectively) higher than average to me. Not sure why but I like it! I want humans of all bodies to have the freedom to learn bass with foolproof lessons if desired. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

The latest family portrait! L-R Squier VM Jaguar SS, Squier Jazz, Gretsch 2202 & '84 Peavey Foundation. Also made wall hangers for them today. Cost me about $8 for the hook & drywall anchors, had the Oak in the shop.

5 Likes

That’s such a cool idea to make your own instrument hangars! I don’t have the tools or wood kicking around otherwise I might follow suit.

2 Likes

If you have a power drill and saw that is all that’s needed. You can get everything else at Lowe’s or Home Depot.

3 Likes

Hi, I am Don Friel,

Here is my bass. It is a Fender T-Bucket Grand Concert Acoustic-Electric Bass. I have had this around my house a few years. It has nice sound to it, but I never started to learn how to play it until now. I am glad that I found your course.

8 Likes

After 50 years of a hiatus, I purchased a Squire Vintage Modified Jazz bass 77. I bought it before I read Josh’s review and was pleased he liked it as well. In the 60s, I played a Vintage Guild 1967 Starfire I Acoustic Bass Guitar (what a neck) and a 1967 Gibson EB-2D Vintage Semi-Hollowbody (what a deep sound). This is my first with a Fender and I am enjoying it very much.!

8 Likes

Wow I love the color of your Bass guitar. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Accoustic electric bass are nice too. I recieved for my birthday from my friend a Taylor mini bass

guitar that is nice and has a tuner on it and it’s electric. I can’t say that I’m a bassist but I know

how very important bass and rythem is to the bigger musical picture.

2 Likes