Show Us Your Basses (Part 1)

Nice! Love the whole BB line, such a great, classic sound. Feel great to me too.

3 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to go thru and answer the questions.

Wow, thanks for the high praise. I can’t take all the credit. There are things I attribute my success in this area that are entirely coincidental, but play a huge role on my ability to do this.

The only thing I take credit for is the preparation when going to look at a used bass, or amp set up, or a pedal for that matter.

• I just bring some essential gear. To test almost anything other then Amps, I bring my Zoom B1-Four, headphones, aux cord to connect the headphones and an instrument cord, or 2, 3, which ever will be needed.
    -test a bass, after visual inspection, I connect bass to zoom, headphones to zoom, check it plays when the volume is turned up on the basal. I tune it, check tune at the 12th fret, then other places like 7th ant 15th… then I check the features of the bass, does rack pick up turn on, blend, selection is correct, test the EQ, etc. it’s worked so far, only needed minor set up adjustments on equip I bought so far.
    -to test a Beal I would do the same, putting the pedal in front of the zoom, it I would bring a bass to use.

• for amps, I just bring a bass and instrument cable.

The things that are not my control, are

-The power source is an emergency all in one unit to jump your car, is a power supply, and a compressor to fill flat tires. It was gifted to me, and I never thought it would be for this.
-the area I live in is heavily populated and rich with used gear, I can throw a dart blindfolded, and hit a bass, Amp, or accessory for sale.
-Covid-19 pandemic and lockdown. It has made those items for sale, priced to sell, and bargaining power is heavily in favor of the buyer, people need rent and food, and gas and essential goods, so they need money, and need to get rid of non essential things

• being on disability, I have the time, the resources, a whole lot less overhead, and the means to grab the hot deals.

I never thought that was monster material, but now I list it out, I see where it would appear that way, especially to those in less populated areas, relying solely on online shipping to get these items, and holding off on purchases until items can be tested in retail stores once again.

Ty @eric.kiser, and congrats once again, you are a badass IMO.

4 Likes

That looks like a SR370E…just guess though. (Cause it looks a lot like mine. :sweat_smile:)

4 Likes

That very well could be. I have an SR300, and it is most certainly not that low in the model numbers.
BTW, welcome to Bass Buzz @Tiny

4 Likes

@T_dub How do you like the SR300? And thanks! I’m new to all things bass.

3 Likes

I love it. I picked it up used from Guitar Center for $219. After tax and shipping it was around $260. I really do love it. I was stepping up from the Ibanez Geo GSR200, which had an ultra smooth, playable n co. The SR was a step up from it, thinner, faster, and just dreamy. I love Ibanez necks for sure.

3 Likes

I’ve played hundreds of Fender and I think the one of the 2000’s are particularly good. The fact is that the two instruments I chose to be my main ones were made in 2004 (Greenie) and 2005 (Juliette). both are MIA but there is nothing wrong with MIM Fender, except maybe the early Classic series which was not very good.

Anyway, good choice ! I approve ! :grin:

5 Likes

It’s a SR300EB , sorry for not posting it alongside the photo!

4 Likes

It’s ok, it’s a nice bass for sure.

2 Likes

So, this happened today.

The listing has been there for so long. Advertised on Offer Up for $240.

It’s just there every day, and since I just really love everything about my LTD bass, I keep seeing this one. So I finally said I am gonna go see it.
Got to the address and it’s a Pawn shop. I asked him at one time if it was cuz he said the hours it could be seen. He replied “2nd hand dealer.
It was a pawn shop, in every sense of the word.

They had a lot of really nice stuff. It’s an upper end Pawn shop. Some pedals, recording equip, seemed to have a lot for the size of the shop, and it not being overcrowded. But I couldnt look at any of it. I walked in, to “we are not open to browse, come back June 2nd”. I was like “huh”. He said, sorry, Omline only.
I said, but I came to look at a bass.
He said, oh yeah, sorry, and pulled down what appears brand new, unplaced, like my other LTD.

Plugs into a really nice, clean, trace elliot 4x10 combo. No, 4x8. Cool AF. I loved it. It felt almost like my 4 string, justa bit wider, and. Bolt on neck instead of solid. It felt so good, about the best 5 I ever picked up. So freaking sweet. Strings are a little close together up top, took a little getting used to, but didn’t take long at all.

My Schecter feels great too, it is solid neck thru, and I love it, it plays great, but this one may have it beat. Hard to tell, will have to do a battle.

So, it had a price tag $299.
Right away I am thinking “there goes my plan “. I went there to take it home for $175, or leave it behind. I am typing this story so you know I got it, but what price.
I thought I was gonna not get it cuz the price of $299. I asked if he has a set screw for the job that falls off (seriously, only thing wrong with it.
He said no.
I asked how flexible on price he would be, he said, I can go $220. I said, well, the add says it’s $240. He says, Yeah, so I will knock off $20 for the Set screw missing.
I said if he will go $175, I will take it. After a trip to the back he said ok.
I then pulled out the money in my back pocket “to count” the $155 I knew I had strategically place in my pocket.

I asked if he could possibly do it for the $155 I had, he said he couldn’t, and the $175 is a one time deal
I said, let me see if I have another $20 in the car, knowing full well I did.

$175, freaking $175. I mean, wow. As far as I can tell, it’s never been played, it’s in new condition

So anyway, I could not pass on it. And I love this thing.
And I am now planning to sell some stuff.
The Squire I just got in trade. I will get way more for it then what I traded it for. And I just prob won’t play it much. And I am thinking to get rid of my starter Ibanez. The only reason to keep it is purely sentimental, but it is in full negl ct, I even stole the battery out of it when the SubRay showed up.
Idk yet, but it may go.

8 Likes

@T_dub

Nice one! Although deep down I knew you were going to get it anyway :smiley:

Does look nice though.

4 Likes

Yep, I was thinking it would sell, and stop haunting me. Let tell you tho, it is about 10x nicer in person, and it seems as good as anything Ihave held and noodled on.

2 Likes

@T_dub

Hmm, maybe sell something else instead then?!

3 Likes

I am considering selling the Squire Jaguar I just got in trade. I was selling a guitar for $75, would have taken $40, and was offered a $200 bass for it. It’s cool. I like the Squire better then I thought I would, but I, somewhat purposely have not played it much, so I am not attached.
I may sell my GSR200. It was first, I did B2B on it, but am only keeping it for sentiment now. I know I am not gonna play it much if ever with the rest of what I have to choose from.

3 Likes

All the talk of gear gave me GAS so I ended up with my latest addition. A Yamaha BB435.

6 Likes

Looks very striking, @Gorch . . . :slight_smile:

The white pickguard really sets it off . . . wishing you lots of happy playing!

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

Hey what a cracker!
I’m a huge fan or black guitars For some ungodly reason.
Congrats mate.

4 Likes

Ehi T_dub, I had a look at the Esp LTD and what do you think about this one?
ESP LTD B-204SM STBLKS I think sound amazing and look great. I never play an ESP

4 Likes

Isn’t amazing @AntonioM . It is just below the
B-4E that I have. Pretty much the only thing that makes it “below” are a few cost saving differences. But that is only to offer a slightly cheaper bass that is “below” the cost of the B-4E.

The B-204 has a bolt on neck and is an ASH body. The 5pc neck is Maple / jatoba
Fretboard is roasted Jatoba.

The B-4E has Neck thru and is Mahogany
The 5pc neck is Maple / Mahogany
Fretboard is ebony

That’s where the differences end. Everything else that I can tell is the same down to the black nickel bridge, nobs, tuners.

I have the B-4E and B-155. The neck, on the B-155, despite being a 5 string and bolt on, and Ash / Jatoba, still feels very much the same as my B-4E. There is a slight difference being a little wider for the 5th string , and not quite the same transition on the upper frets due to the bolt on construction, but it still feels very good, and is almost unnoticeable when fingering the 20-24th frets.

I can’t imagine anybody not loving the feel and playability of these Basses. I personally love the tones I get out of them, and the active 3 band EQ is great, but I am sure there are people out there that would prefer other Basses for tones they may be looking for specifically, like a Fender or Squire P-Bass, or Jazz Bass, or from a Music Man StingRay.
But that’s the only reason I can think of for someone to not love these Basses, and my ear is not good enuf for that anyway. So I love them.
They have a hell of a list of musicians playing their guitars and Basses who love them too.
(so does Schecter BTW :wink:).

2 Likes

Looks awesome @Gorch. I like the white on black ok, but a pearl white might look slick, really make it pop.
Course if it were me, I would put an orange one on. :wink::wink:

2 Likes