Show us your DIY modifications!

I’m going to resurrect this MFer instead of babbling in the Show Us Your Amps thread with all the gobbletygook I’m talking about over there.

(the subject matter looking at potentially modding an old Carvin RL410T, make it lighter, etc)

I found sellers on Reverb selling both the Celestion BN10-200X and Eminence Basslite S2010 for $100 which is a steep discount, and I found an Eminence document on building 1x10 and 4x10 cabs with the S2010 (volume needed, port design, etc).

https://www.eminence.com/pdf/Basslite_S2010_cab.pdf

The RL410T has an internal volume of about 5.43 4.9 4.4 cubic feet, guesstimated by external dimensions and subtracting apparent plywood thickness, and I may have messed up somewhere along the way…

I really don’t know what any of this means, though :tipping_hand_woman:t2:

But either way, if I keep this old Carvin I can relatively inexpensively drop its weight into boutique cab territory for not a ton of money, and potentially have something pretty awesome. Maybe. I need to find, or become, a math wizard (or download WinISD or whatever it’s called). But at first blush it looks like it should handle the Basslite relatively okay…

So far the BN10-200X and Basslite S2010 are the lightest neo speakers I have found.

Also considering removing the red horn and spraying it purple :eyes:

Edit I found IRs of a Celestion BN10-200X 4x10 (sealed) and think it sounded really nice. But I can’t find specs on the cab… :unamused:

Edit 2 in 2008 someone on TalkBass said the BN10-200X needed 1.09 cu ft per speaker, nearly perfect for my cab’s size (roughly). In 2016 the numbers were updated to 1.84 cu ft o.O

Edit 3 I keep finding the Celestions should be in a ported enclosure due to T/S calculations on enclosures, but Celestion themselves made a 4x10 sealed box for it to make some IRs o.O The hunt continues…

2 Likes