Boring Bass Lines Fixed (With 1 Simple Walkup Trick)

Inject life into your boring beginner bass lines with these simple (but legit) walkup patterns - no theory required.

https://youtu.be/HTz04428R9w

If you’re doing the Beginner to Badass course, most of this lesson would fit after Module 8, once you’ve covered some syncopated rhythms. (the 16th notes in “Gold Dust Woman” and “Can’t Hide Love” will go a little beyond our rhythm theory for the course)

Walkup/Walkdown Bass Patterns

If you need a refresher, here are the two patterns we use in this lesson:

And remember, if you ever use one of these and it sounds weird, just shift the first note (the one further from the root) by a fret. Easy no-theory solution to all your walk problems. :yum:

What do you think - should French Josh make a reappearance? Tell me ‘oui’ or ‘NON’ below. :sunglasses: :guitar: :fr:

19 Likes

That’s a big “oui” vote from me. Great video.

3 Likes

Ho ho oui oui Baguette!! :rofl:

4 Likes

I love walking basslines! I’ve used them in many of the covers I’ve posted here.

I am going to watch the video now!

2 Likes

should French Josh make a reappearance?

Oui, mais seulement s’il porte une chemise différente.

2 Likes

Haha, at first, before starting the video, I thought you were doing a Joe Dart impression :grin::wink:

About French Josh: maybe you could use German Josh, Italian Josh and so on before circling back to French Josh!?! Makes for more variety and balance :smile:

3 Likes

Uuuuh more christmas gifts!

3 Likes

Oui, mon ami!

3 Likes

Added to the… BassBuzz YouTube Video Guide Module 8.

5 Likes

As someone who grew up in Europe, here’s a great game to play. Every time a Hollywood film is set in say Paris, play a game of cliché bingo when you watch the movie.

Baguette? Bingo
Stripey shirt? Bingo
Eiffel Tower? Bingo
Man on bicycle with onions round his neck? Bingo
Beret? Bingo

It’s fun for all the family.

7 Likes

I’m waiting to hear from @terb on the accuracy of French Josh. :rofl:

6 Likes

I am sure @terb is too polite to comment directly… then, again, he might be secretly plotting to having his next cover played by… American Laurent :grin:

Ah, clichés… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Which reminds me: what are the three thinnest books in the world (according to Groucho Marx)??

1. Italian war heros
  2. The mysteries of English cuisine
  3. A 1000 years of German humor

:rofl:

7 Likes

actually that’s not a bad french accent, but what should we understand as the deep message of this video ? french people are boring ? that’s possible …

4 Likes

That would probably devolve into Schwarzenegger Josh in about 5 seconds, lol. :stuck_out_tongue:

At least he didn’t have a beret! :slight_smile:

More like the deep nihilism of French Josh has led him to find interesting bass lines just as meaningless as any other. :skull:

Also that France is actually in black and white, they have to add the color in post. :stuck_out_tongue:

Took it for 4 years through high school and a semester in college… forgot all my vocabulary, but kept 60% of my accent. :yum:

8 Likes

except “baguette”, very certainly the word that we mostly use, I guess … :joy:

7 Likes

“Oui” to French Josh. But I get the feeling he doesn’t care about the opinions of a “zeemple Americain.”

4 Likes

Yeah, I remember all the vocabulary that was used here:

12 Likes

Holy mother of God, what did I just watch ? :rofl:

7 Likes

:rofl: :joy: :rofl:

2 Likes

Freedom fries

2 Likes