Slap - "through" or bounce?

just started module 13. @JoshFossgreen teaches to ‘bounce’ your thumb off the string almost like its a little fleshy drum stick. also watched this nate navarro video where he says instead of bouncing to follow the thumb through the played string to land on the string below — slap on the E and then rest on the A for example (vid should start at 1:10 where he demos this):

as always would rather learn the better way now rather than develop bad habits - any compelling reasons to do one or the other? (also josh: for future lessons may be worth grabbing a gopro camera & mount, i found that camera angle nate uses showing right hand technique really helpful).

2 Likes

I tried the follow through technique. Nothing but dull thuds. The bounce technique worked for me. Luke at “Become a bassist” also teaches the slap through.

2 Likes

See our very own @kristine’s awesome video on this topic here….

3 Likes

both. they are 2 different things, the slap through method is the lead in to double thumbing like wooten. if that interests you.

3 Likes

Like @itsratso said, they are two different techniques.

It’s been brought up before and Josh addresses it here… Slapping through the string

2 Likes

Kiyoshi bounces:

Sometimes F-Chopper bounces:

Sometimes she slaps through:

Whatever works at the time :slight_smile:

2 Likes