Slapping through the string

Ouch.

Nice one.

1 Like

Ha! You have to blame Lee Sklar for that one. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

I just recently discovered his YT channel, he has a lot of great content! It’s wonderful that so many great musicians take time to share things like that.

1 Like

I get this, i really do. I Started on an es300 and could NOT get a slap tone. Action was medium,so it should hav3 been good. But to get any slap i was playing at the bridge.
Continued slap and dialed eay back on impact, cycled up slow until i got good tone at the end of the neck. I really think it’s just a feel thing. Look at Marcus Miller-his hand barely moves and he’s killing it. Check out Josh’s video on slap, it’s got a lot of good info

:star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:
(runs off to YT)

2 Likes

She’s awesome. Working on her sixth solo album now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lol…I thought i was like Noob Josh (…who am I kidding: I am waay worse than Noob Josh in his Noobish Days…) at trying to slap with the bounce technique as is in B2B and i were (am) able to produce some sort of slapping over strings other than E only by using Scott’s technique without even knowing it’s kind of legit… until now!
K know it’s me but if @Josh approves… I might go on with that relieved i wasn’t doing it ALL wrong…

I know this is from uh last August but I’m currently trying to clean up my muting on my slap technique - could you go into more detail on this technique or show a quick video demo? :grin:

1 Like

I can do that!

1 Like

I watched a video from Rob Scallon on slapping through, and decided to try it again, and I was way more consistently accurate than when bouncing. Another thing is that when I watch people bounce, it barely looks like they are doing anything (even Kiyoshi who was shown earlier, she looks wild when playing, but there’s an interview where she says she does it softly at contact and the flailing is for show) and my C-5 has low action while still taking a decent amount of “slap” to get the sound. Slapping through puts my plucking hand in a slightly awkward position though, too.

Maybe some day I will figure this slapping thing out. Maybe I need a dedicated slapping bass strung and setup just for slap; that would be unfortunate, because I like all the different ways to play a single instrument on a single song; it’s incredibly expressive.

She posts lots of practice and recording videos where you can see her normally playing, yeah.

4 Likes

Looks like she is slap ‘bouncing’ with some good force and accurately. I don’t care how you get the sound you are looking for as long as its comfortable enough for you to achieve the best outcome.

Her mannerisms where pretty funny too. She probably is a pretty cool bassist to hang and chat with. The difference in linguistics to what westerners are use to is pretty funny too. Ya ya ya ya meant no no no no.

1 Like

Hah yeah, “ya” is in that case short for “iyada”, which means “do not want”.

She’s totally the master of the bass face too.

2 Likes

This gives me comfort! A couple months ago I was (trying) to get video doing a cover, and just ended up with a bunch of clips of me saying “f*ck” over and over. Maybe I should have spliced them all together and posted that :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Oh, you are not special here, for sure.
We should have a ‘post your outtakes’ thread, that would be funny.

3 Likes

(writes down “post your outtake thread” on project list)

1 Like

Tentative thread titles:
“DO YOUR WORST! Outtakes, practice takes, bad cover takes”
“EMBRACE THE SUCK: Outtakes, practice takes, bad cover takes”
“BADASSES-IN-TRAINING: Outtakes, practice takes, bad cover takes”
thanks to @Wombat-metal for the suggestion

2 Likes

Or Badass in Training

1 Like

@Koldunya @howard @SubsonicRob Here’s that interview. She also says, “I sometimes get nervous or lose confidence before a concert, but the moment I stand on the stage, the audience turns on my switch. They make me a superhero. When I play onstage, I believe that I’m a great bass player. I think that is common courtesy to the audience.”

I think that is common courtesy to the audience. I love that - give the audience the superhero they are there to see.

5 Likes

that’s definitely the interview, I remember the title. Thanks!

1 Like