Slapping woes

I finally started Module 13 lol. And as usual, Josh broke it down and I got through Lesson One fine. I did end up switching basses midway through; The C-5 GT is clanky, seemed great… Noooo it’s toopercussive, so I was finding it very, very hard to get any note sustain while slapping also. Stiletto Studio 5 was better, but still didn’t quite sound “right” either.

…but my 4-string Stiletto Extreme came through for me. I think I may keep it, or otherwise get a dedicated Slapping Bass :tm:

3 Likes

Awesome! The thousand mile journey begins with one slap. :wink:

If it’s OK with @Old_WannaBe , I was going to make a short video of me slapping/popping to post on this thread, partially for feedback but also as a small step in the direction of posting something. Then maybe I’ll work up to posting something more substantial (but crappy).

3 Likes

but snappy :thinking:

2 Likes

Ya fixed it for me - thanks :blush:

2 Likes

Stu Hamm has a good little funk for beginners course (like $14.95) that takes it from what is in Bass Buzz and goes a bit further.
The exercises there are straighforward and good.
And as others have said, it takes a lot of time to work it out.
I think once you are totally fed up and tired, your thumb/hand/wrist/etc just gives up and relaxes out of exhaustion or indifference and it starts to sound like something.
Popping is still a mess for me, have not put in the time.

5 Likes

I made this video.

I didn’t intend to make this kind of video, but project creep is real.
I’ve never made a video before; there’s a lot I would do differently, like figure out in advance where I should be looking, and then stick with that one spot.
If you really want to find out what your particular verbal ticks are, just record yourself talking for six minutes (I use the word “so” ALL. THE. F*CKING. TIME. Apparently)
I lost the first half of the bass track in GarageBand. It’s just not there.
Over the last two years, I have lost the ability to enunciate words.

AND YET…I finished something. And to me that’s a big deal.
SOOOOOO… @Old_WannaBe , you had questions about muscle tension in your hand while trying to slap.
I looked for some answers.
I’m not sure they are in this video, but…maybe? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Because I have anxiety, after I hit send I’m gonna go breathe into a paper bag. Be kind.
(I know you will be.)

(I already had deep respect for your video skills, @JoshFossgreen , but…d@mn. Just…d@mn.)

16 Likes

@kristine I am completely incompetent to comment on the subject matter, you also have to wait for more substantive feedback. But! what can I say in terms of the overall impression:

You look cool in the video, seemed confident and relaxed. Moreover, you have a nice, warm voice and it is pleasant to listen to you. You have absolutely no reasons to feel insecure about posting more videos!

I admire you for your courage in taking this first step, because as a person struggling with social anxiety, I know what a challenge it will be for me to >>expose myself<< and post my first cover.

What can I say, you motivate me to get to work!!

2 Likes

Well done @kristine

Very nicely presented and well put across. It takes a lot of courage to put yourself out there like that and come across as professionally as you have . Bravo :clap:

P.S

I still can’t slap :crazy_face::joy:

2 Likes

Oh @kristine - so many many things of goodness here.
let’s list them!

1. Science!
  2. Humor - you’re damn funny
  3. Drawing bacon on oneself to represent muscles (kidding about the bacon) - I love this, who does this? No one, you do, and it is grand. What a great way to depict what’s going on. Very creative.
  4. You made your first video playing the bass, so that’s out of the way, let the covers roll!
  5. I never once heard you say “so”, was distracted by the bacon I suppose, mmmmm bacon.
  6. And of course - informative and NEW - no one that I have come across talks about this from this perspective so clearly, well done.

One of my favorite things in this forum is when people ‘pop’ out of their icon and become a real person in a video or in a live hang, it adds so much (at least to me).

And finally…
7. This was great!!!

Now please excuse me, I suddenly have a strong desire to slap a pig and eat a breakfast sandwich. (I might have missed some of the points of your video) :upside_down_face:, will rewatch

3 Likes

I admire your courage in talking about this. It’s important to normalize discussions about conditions like anxiety; we should be as comfortable talking about it as we are diabetes or asthma or any other medical issue. It’s gonna be SUPER UNCOMFORTABLE to hit that send button - but do it. We’ll be here to cheer you on!

@Mac Thank you for watching and taking the time to comment - it is much appreciated!

Lol! One day it will fall into place… :joy:

I feel like I could do a whole other list responding to your list! :laughing:

1. I’m trying to blind you with it
  2. you’re pretty damn funny yourself!
  3. Bacon…(snicker)
  4. Already working on one
  5. I edited out as many "so"s as I could!
  6. I’m glad you enjoyed the perspective!
  7. Thank you :blush:

I completely agree with your “pop out of their icon” comment - it really does add so much.
Hope you enjoyed your breakfast sandwich - did you post a pic to the food thread? :grin:

2 Likes

Sadly, I ultimately had a granola bar, non-bacon flavored.

2 Likes

I postd a bit of this elsewhere but will reiterate it here.
I have played sax for over 10 years, I have never recorded a song of me playing, let alone posted a video of me playing (gasp, perish the thought).
When I go to try a sax in a store, used to ask for a private room to play in.
Bass testing - I brought a headphone amp.
Along comes bass, same thing, until the 50 Song Challange. I figured everyone else was in the same bass boat (see what I did there?) and thought this would be a good way to get started…added in a little bit of ‘who gives a rat’s ass, let’s just do it’ and now I am comfortable with any good, bad or cringy things I post. And, I even played sax on two of them, working on more of that too.

There exists a great community here, who have helped me turn my anxiety into the equivilant of wearing loudly patterned pants and not giving two $bleeps. Its a great feeling to get to wear those pants with pride.

5 Likes

The mental image…you should wear some loudly patterned pants to a live hang, for illustrative purposes.

1 Like

BRB, need to do some shopping…

2 Likes

:rofl: :joy: :rofl: :man_dancing: :mirror_ball:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! I’ve been diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder as well as Panic Disorder (among a few other things :eyes:), so I can feel you there. Posting just audio lets me retain pseudo-anonymity after having dealt with creepers on the internet XD The courage to post a video while having to deal with anxiety issues is awesome. Great explanation of the muscles involved, I looked at how I moved my arm just ot be sure and there it was. Anytime I start getting a tired feeling it’s the area you drew on (lol that blew me away when you started drawing, well done!)

As an aside I never noticed that Ibanez was one of the companies that does their P-style pickups reversed from Fender-style. Nifty.

3 Likes

Warwick too @Koldunya .
I actually found it weird to begin with but eventually got used to it.
Leland Sklar explained why he prefers it on one of his YouTube videos. It’s technical and I can’t remember why :man_facepalming:

So far: Yamaha, Spector, Ibanez, and now Warwick. Carvin does it like Fender, so it’s (likely) not a copyright or trademark issue :eyes:

If I was to guess on the why, it’s to smooth out the highs. Closer to the neck gets deeper, closer to the bridge gets brighter, etc.

Unrelated to pickups, I started slapping on my C-5 today and my accuracy is getting to where I don’t necessarily need to fall back to my 4 string. :smiley:

1 Like

there are some ESPs that have this too, I used to have the Rocco Prestia designed model which is a reverse P/J

1 Like

Yeah, Yamaha does it both ways, as does Ibanez and Warwick. Lots of variety.

1 Like