Snapped a String

Interesting thread, thanks.

I’ve got my Jazz tuned in Drop D now and may try BEAD. I mean what’s the worst that can happen, I get a new nut?

2 Likes

Yep. In fact it might make sense just to order a new nut now too and file it appropriately; pop your old one off and keep it for going back to EADG. Changing nuts is usually very easy.

1 Like

Yeah, I was thinking the Jazz is the perfect bass to try it on. I am sure they make Jazz nuts, and won’t have to worry about fitment as much

1 Like

In addition to new nuts, if you get a zero fret nut, it is more adaptable to different string sizes because the guides in the nut are wider as they are just there to hold the strings roughly in place from side to side. Might want to check that out.

2 Likes

@Wombat-metal I got mine from Sweetwater. . . . :slight_smile:

I get almost all my musical equipment from them. Great customer service!

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes

I’m fortunate enough to have The Bass Centre here in Melbourne.
They’re usually running some sort of deal and they nearly always arrive the next day.
If not Artist Guitars are very good

1 Like

I’ve bought from Sweetwater and from Strings And Beyond.

2 Likes

Oh that’s fun, looking for the vest deal, the best service or the best advice also brings me to a local store, never sweeteater or amamoon. Yep, I got really bad experiences with both, so never will use them again.
It probably also depends on where you’re living :shushing_face:

On topic: I’ve got my strings from https://www.rotosound.com/ as I have a JazzBass and wanted a deeper sound with standard tuning. I’m gonna try BEAD as suggested by @howard just for more sounds.

2 Likes

I have only had good experience with Sweetwater and Amazon is just up the road from me. Generally anything two day ship from Amazon gets here in one. But to each their own. You had bad experiences, and I respect that.

I checked out Rotosound and unfortunately the strings aren’t long enough. Ironically I do have a set of Rotosounds for my Jazz when the current ones need a change, except I will probably go BEAD on it first.

I do appreciate all the advice from everyone.

3 Likes

I usually buy strings from Strings and Beyond - they have a good inventory, ship really fast, and are priced competitively.

I confess to occasionally buying from Amazon when they have what I want with next day delivery.

3 Likes

Give them a shout, for what you would need on length. They still have some, if you prefer their sound. (I’ve got 88, extra long, which initially weren’t available either)

Went by the shop today, and they have a set of strings. Ernie Ball 2836 Slinky, but they want $45 for them. I’m all for supporting the local store, but wow.

1 Like

Triple price? Well, no. See if they will at least knock it down to double price for you :slight_smile:

edit: oh it’s the 5-set, so it is roughly double price. Oh well.

1 Like

$45 !

I paid paid $145 for my Thomask strings and would struggle to get anything under $60 of any recognised name.

If the owner was there I would have asked on the price.

Bass is back online. Next, BEAD on the Jazz

2 Likes

Practiced until my fingers got sore. The new B string, the 135, sounds really good.

And my strings for the Jazz arrived today.

3 Likes