I betrayed Bass and bought a Guitar!

+1 to this. For starting this is an excellent platform! I learned the basics, chords and strumming from Justin. Power chords I learned from Andy Guitar https://www.andyguitar.co.uk/

I also opt in for a ‘Show Us Your Guitars’ thread :see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil:

3 Likes

I never thought about that but it’s true!

I started with barre chords higher up on the neck where they were easier to play and then when I got good at that I moved further down the neck playing 5 string barre chords and then 6. The f barre chord was like the last I worked on lol and I find I’ve never used it much at the first fret. I found that using movable shape chords helped me learn the fret board.

You can play the f barre chord using your thumb on the E string, I have short fingers so that’s not really easier, but it’s good for some fingerstyle stuff and I often leave out the high e string.

2 Likes

Good for you, @RuknRole . . . if I was going to try guitar, THAT is the one I would buy!

Same color and everything . . . :thinking:

Cheers and good luck with it,
Joe

1 Like

P.S. I have this thing about white/cream colored basses and guitars :wink:

And I really like the little bit of chrome via the input jack and bridge . . . white maple neck, too!

For 13 years old, it looks dynamite . . . maybe it even has a little bit of history.

2 Likes

Well there’s the problem, you should have gone to a doctor instead… :slight_smile:

Congrats on the guitar, looks great

3 Likes

It really does. Nice basic SSS Strat, can’t go wrong.

2 Likes

There is a Starcaster cheapie guitar in my pile to donate to New Orleans. Every so often I think about plugging it in and checking it out. Then I think better if it. Nope nope nope.

2 Likes

Looks like a Jimmy Hendrix’s. Well except for the reverse headstock

1 Like

Steve Stine-best on the webz for guitar. Explains the guitar in a way that even a dunce like me could play. He is friendly, personable and one helluva player.

1 Like

I decked the tremolo and did some fret polishing at lunch time today. Can’t really see it in the picture but it’s amazing what a little steel wool will do. The frets are nice and smooth and shiny now. I rolled the fretboard a bit too. It’s coming out nice!

Who needs to eat when there’s setup work needing to be done! :nerd_face:

5 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :joy:

Good to see you enjoying yourself, @RuknRole . . . :slight_smile:

Have fun with it, Joe

2 Likes

That really looks great!

1 Like

that’s a nice choice, I’d say.

4 Likes

Yeah, really can’t go wrong with that choice.

2 Likes

Well I’m all done. She’s looking good!
However, I had to remove the spring on the low E saddle to be able to intonate. Have you guys run into this before?

2 Likes

Yes! On a bass. I cut the spring down on low E Vs leaving it out altogether. You could cut one down and put a bitty one in just for some tension.

3 Likes

Yes I’ll probably do that. I’ll wait to the next string change to rule out a bad string, but if it intonates the same I’ll cut the spring.

What do you have on there? 9’s? Could try a set of 10’s and see if it changes.

1 Like

Yes, D’Addario 9-42s on there now.

1 Like

Could maybe try some 10’s or 11’s and see if it changes the geometry enough to allow better intonation. I did not find 10’s hard to play.

1 Like