I betrayed Bass and bought a Guitar!

caveat - prodigies normally don’t start mid-life, rules me out, lol

I 100% agree, however, this also depends on your goals. One of my goals in life was always to be able to play a bunch of instruments. Of course, at a high level would be great but came to grips at not being amazing at one instrument a long time ago. I actually got really really good at trumpet, and got really really bored. I wanted to explore. Sax and bass is way too much alone, for sure, but I love going back and forth. I know guitar and drums are both ‘wet dreams’ but if I can do a few simple things on both I am happy. I was actually ok on piano but that has all vanished, and, I don’t really have any desire to go back, at least today.

When I was all in on sax it was really really depressing, as it is really really hard to get really really good. Bass helped me there as it was much easier for me. I can almost play at the level I care to in bass, for now, so I am gravitating elsewhere. I like the randomness, if not the expertise. I don’t ever think I can pick just one ever again. I am ok with being meh on a lot of things.

I see amazing progression here with folks that put in the work, and it really shows.

#goals

5 Likes

Yo, I’ll tell you what I want, what I really, really want

https://youtu.be/gJLIiF15wjQ

On a serious note, thanks for sharing your life goals :heart:

5 Likes

:rofl::joy::face_with_peeking_eye:

3 Likes

Yeah. I mean, I would never have gotten to bass in the first place if I hadn’t wanted to be a multi-instrumentalist. My goal isn’t to become Victor Wooten; I am actually ok with my current level of bass for my goals (provided I put in some time leading up to recording it’s been fine so far). Improving would be awesome but no longer top priority.

Also, I find guitar practice is actually effective at keeping bass skills up. A lot of the finger dexterity, pick work, and fretboard thinking directly translates over. Not all obviously (i.e. the muscle memory) but a good chunk.

5 Likes

Wow, that’s a cool video. I’ve never seen it. One long stedicam take. Cool!

2 Likes

My goal for additional instrument after bass was drums. When I got the chance and the time I jumped in head first, lol. Though, I like the acoustic set the volume and time to practice would make it difficult, and the eDrums are getting so good, too good actually, now you actually have to have some skills to get the decent sounds out of them just like the acoustic drums.

I can play some keys and have a basic idea of rhythm guitars and finger picking. I did some recording my own music with me playing all of the instruments. It’s pretty Zen and fun to do. Thanks to the miracle of unlimited tracks and seamless punch-in anyone can sound pretty decent if you have patience, lol.

2 Likes

This is the entire reason I play anything, it’s what I enjoy the most. All my covers are like this, just me and my bandmate. Overall music production is my actual hobby, not bass.

3 Likes

That’s awesome @howard. I made some for my wife with her singing the songs. Fast forward a few months, I was in her car and she was listening to the songs and I thought, hey that was me producing this and hey! that was not bad, lol.

Anyways, back to Guitars.

I got this yesterday.

Wicked neck. it’s 3 flat side but oddly comfortable. I couldn’t get used to the bass because well, I’m a Dinosaur, that much of a radical change to my playing posture is killing me, but for an instrument that I’m not familiar with like electric guitar, I’m up for it.

10 Likes

Nice, HSS, great superstrat configuration.

2 Likes

Thanks @howard I think it has 11s on there right now, a little thick but I won’t change it just yet. I polish my frets on most of my guitars/ bass and it’s shiny smooth, but his stainless steel frets are another league altogether, it’s like glass.

2 Likes

I blew over $500 just to upgrade a perfectly good guitar to the same model with stainless frets (and a couple other improvements.) They are awesome, one place PRS is totally right about.

1 Like

The internet is not helping

I love my Hybrid II bass; need to check one of these out. The fact that it’s routed for a humbucker or P90 makes me very very happy. Electronics look equally high quality to my MIJ P-Bass. This is a very nice looking guitar.

3 Likes

Tele
MIJ

What’s not to like, lol.

2 Likes

So when can we expect your new tele? :smile:

1 Like

I am fighting this hard. By which I mean I made it through one night without walking three blocks to try one.

5 Likes

Ahh dammit. Resistance is futile.

I didn’t buy it, but it is awesome. Totally the Tele counterpart to my Hybrid II P-bass.

Body fit me perfectly, it’s light, strat scale, great neck, rolled fretboard, and superb fret dressing.

6 Likes

We eagerly await the inevitable follow-up post. :smiling_imp:

4 Likes

Well now I have to decide if I want it more than I love the Revstar. I love the Revstar a lot.

5 Likes

I’d say that a guitar with humbuckers and a guitar with single coils, is the bare minimum.

Sorry :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

It is a very good guitar with (very good) humbuckers, you have a point.

But it’s not helping :rofl:

3 Likes