So. This is going to be weird. Mic recommendations!

I have zero doubt they are fantastic! Sennheiser makes really high quality gear in general.

But up in that price range, I am going condenser. It’s just a price/performance thing. You’re getting up in the range of a Rode NT-2 there.

The Shure SM-7 has the same thing going. Fantastic mic, unfortunate pricing.

It’s a hollowed-out eucalyptus branch.

But you’d be surprised, what with all the harmonics and overtones and the like, how much clarity is needed. Almost as much as stringing a piece of metal over a magnet.

2 Likes

Points. :rofl:

1 Like

Which are immediately forgone when 90+% of the listeners will watch it on their phone…
:woozy_face:

1 Like

True that! :slightly_smiling_face:

Yep, for all the difference there is between SM58 and SM7B, couldn’t justify the extra £250 difference :joy:
But it’s apparently relatively simple to modify to come pretty close :wink:

The first thing I thought of for this situation is also the 421 due to the request to “handle the range”. The 58 won’t go as low. A condenser may be prone to overloading on the spikes. I’ve never tried recording a digiredoo so I don’t really know. The 421 would be my first try. It will take high levels.

It’s too easy not to try a 57/58 and see what it does though. It’s good to have around anyway.

The 57/58 has that high frequency presence peak that makes vocals cut through the mix. I’m not sure that’s going to be great on digiredoo; it may be a bit grating over preserving the warmth of that instrument.

That’s my wild guess anyway. It will be interesting to hear how it turns out with what you finally choose.

It’s “directional” microphones that have proximity effect, not “dynamic” microphones. An omnidirectional microphone, regardless of technology, will have no proximity effect.

1 Like

I’d never thought about it but that makes sense. Thanks!

1 Like

@howard says the 57. and he’s never wrong. BUT I don’t care if it’s the worst sounding mic on the planet, the beta 52a is the coolest looking mic on earth

2 Likes

Yeah the 57/58 - great mics but they don’t have that kind of style :rofl:

1 Like

I think the modeling microphone from Slate Digital is quite impressive too! IMO, the microphone preamp is equally important. Hearing the differences between the various mic models and preamps was interesting. My two favorites were the FG-47 (Neumann U47) and FG-800 (Sony C800G). On average, you might expect to spend around $26,000 for these real analog microphones, while the Slate Digital VMS ML-1 is about $800. :sweat_smile:

For my needs, the Shure SM58 is more than sufficient, so I sold the Slate Digital.

1 Like

Oh, well… Nevermind :person_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Someone got excited :rofl:

1 Like

Well, it would be a cheap mic if nothing got damaged. New protection grille cost ~10€ :sweat_smile:

1 Like