Solar Powered Equipment?

So in a few weeks I get to play at this -http://www.greengathering.org.uk/ It’s totally run on solar power and I’m not allowed to use my valve amp and will have to go DI probably. Anyone out there done this? Any advice?

2 Likes

Wow! So they’re gonna have a solar-powered generator to give you stage power with?

If so, don’t see how that’s any different than a normal festival set-up with a gas generator… unless they don’t have enough juice for a whole band?

1 Like

Maybe. I wish I knew. Solar powered everything. Problem solved I think. I have a little Peavey micro bass that I’m going to use with an old 4X12" that sounds pretty good. Can’t use the bass cabs cos the Peavey will not push them. Otherwise I may be sorted my using my practice gear! Apparently it’s NO valve gear and limited wattage tranny amps. I must admit it seems strange but I’ll let you know how goes!

2 Likes

Solar stages are a groovy thing and they’re not uncommon on the string-band touring festival circuit. They’ve been fine and indistinguishable from any other stage in my experience. I also love the people-powered stages: the ones with exercise bikes next to the stage where people are literally pedaling the stage to life constantly through the festy.

5 Likes

@muff I know it’s been over a year for this but how did the gig go?

3 Likes

It was ok… Pretty flat reply but that’s hindsight for you. Ended up being one of my last gigs. As far as the energy thing goes, it handled everything ok. The Festival itself was kinda crusty, the artist field ended up being the place to be after hours, so the best bits were then. Getting to know all the different performers and jamming, drinking, partying. Hindsight perked up now!

2 Likes

That’s quite interesting… I didn’t see a whole lot of panels in the pictures. Surprising they would be able to generate enough for a full PA system, stage lights, and band amps/equipment, etc. Have fun, and hope for a Sunny day!

2 Likes

I did, as above reply to @eric.kiser! It was a great festival, I’m just a bit misty eyed because it might be the last fest I play. Met some great people again 'tho.

1 Like

@muff Why would it be your last festival?

1 Like

It was the last in a run of festivals that started with another band “The Sons Of Navarone” in a smallish tent, next year a bigger tent, year after bigger tent still. The year after, Main Stage supporting Lee Scratch Perry and The Buzzcocks and others. Then the Dub Thieves, which promised so much but delivered very little even though in my opinion we were very, very good. Then no drummer, no band! And here we are at now. I did kind of expect to keep on doing it, but I’m suddenly 58 and unemployed. I’ve only had a couple of engineer jobs this year too. I’d sigh or bemoan my lot, but I have a huge family around me that don’t mind me wasting time in front of a computer making music - still. I won’t say no if the opportunity should arise, again!

3 Likes

@muff That sounds pretty damn cool. I would love to be able to do that just once. I saw on an old post you couldn’t share the bands music on here. Since the band is on hiatus can you share some of your music now?

2 Likes

Sorry Eric, but I don’t own much of it. A couple of basslines that can’t be heard properly, also it’s going to go against the copyright which as far as I know belongs to git. I don’t have any of the tracks minus vocals so I’m banged to rights. Although if anyone should get in touch privately I could probably email some out takes from rehearsals?

1 Like