Solving weird noises and other bass setup tips

Mine naturally end up following the curvature because I don’t bother measuring and just adjust each string to the same feel standard.

2 Likes

I guess I’m the odd man out. :smiley:

I set the two outside strings with a string height gauge (6/64" for the E and 5/64" for the G at the 17th fret). Then I use the proper under-string radius gauge to adjust the height of the two inside strings.

My new Aerodyne Jazz bass has a 7.25" radius so the curvature is quite noticeable.

1 Like

Great news, and he let you watch and learn. Free master-class right there. :+1:t4:

2 Likes

Glad you got it fixed Pam! I was fiddling around myself and it took me a couple of hours to find the right setup on my Warwick (well I was also replacing some very old parts). I had something similar but I got it fixed by adjusting the saddle. The thing is I had to adjust my truss rod every time I did a change because the sound was totally off.

Off topic a bit but I do think a good quality bass is where you can easily adjust all parts without the fear of messing up. :wink:

2 Likes

Warwicks are kind of the kings of this :slight_smile:

I love that you can adjust the entire bridge at each corner, in addition to the saddles. And of course the adjustable nut.

3 Likes

More manufacturers should do this.
It would make adjustments so much easier rather than files or filler and files.

I purchased 2 back up nuts for future use, if needed, for $15 direct from Yamaha Canada.
Their customer service was exceptional :+1: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

Glad it’s all sorted @PamPurrs

That’s what you can use a radius gauge for. I’ll be honest and say I’ve only used it when setting up my or friends guitars. Here’s a little article that explains it better than I could.

2 Likes

Great, one more thing to have a look at…added to list.
I do like all these little bits and things.
And I do like measuring and experimenting and understanding.

2 Likes

Thanks for that lead @Barney . Those gauges are $10.39 on Amazon USA.
Amazon.com: Dreamtop Set of 9 Guitar Radius Gauge Understring Radius Gauge String Gauges Luthier Tools for Guitar and Bass Setup : Musical Instruments

1 Like

Nope, I use a radius gauge too. :+1:

3 Likes

Me too :+1:

2 Likes

You can buy top quality radius gauges from StewMac (for a premium price) or less expensive gauges as mentioned from Amazon, eBay, etc.

The cheaper gauges work just fine, but be aware that they are made of stamped metal and may have very sharp edges. Nothing that a few minutes with emery cloth or a file won’t fix, or use as is and be careful.

2 Likes

$16.54 - its worth $6 to me not to file sharp edges.

I guess I have to use these now for something other than figuring out my fretboard radii.

2 Likes

That for the set of 4. For the set of 9 it’s substantially more.

1 Like

You don’t need 9.
Basses basically come in one of 4 radii, the rest are for guitars and other less interesting stringed things.

2 Likes

Good to know. Thanks

1 Like

@PamPurrs This might be of interest. I searched for many setup videos on YouTube and found this one to be the easiest to follow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8N17hDrpJ0

He uses several tools (including the radius gauges in this pack from Amazon) https://www.amazon.com/MusicNomad-Precision-Set-Plus-Instructional-MN604/dp/B08M515BFR?ref_=ast_sto_dp

I set mine for the width of a 2.0 mm smooth pick between the top of the 24th fret and the bottom of the string. I guess by default that means mine follow the curvature of the neck.

1 Like

Kinda sort of. However remember that the G string is under more tension than the E string. So the lower string is more ‘floppy’ and will oscillate more. So with all things being equal if you set them both at the same height the E string should buzz more than the G. Think of a tight vs loose skipping rope. The looser rope will hit the ground first.
That’s why you see setup gauges with the G string lower than the E.
Pic for reference:

3 Likes

@John_E I’m probably using the word ‘oscillate’ in entirely the wrong context. So please feel free to correct my grade 6 understanding of physics.
Cheers

2 Likes