Song 1 - "Another Brick in the Wall" by Pink Floyd

Very well done @RuknRole! Liked the personal touches you added.
:+1:

4 Likes

A little late to the party!
Here’s my take on “Another Bass On The Wall”! :musical_note:

9 Likes

Very well done. Your fretting hand seems to be very happy and you have that nice parallel to the frets thing going on. Lovely tone too!

And you aren’t late. There is no late in this challenge. Join in when you can.

As for critique. You pretty much nailed this. The only thing I picked up on apart from the odd fret buzz or something is that the last note before the split ending on the large repeat is a quarter note, but you played it more like two 8th notes. But if that’s just your version and intended then that’s cool. :slight_smile:

note

Looking forward to your other covers!

2 Likes

Thx, JT :slight_smile: Appreciate your feedback. The change from the tab was intentional, I think I hear Roger Waters play something like that on the original recording at around 2:05. To me it sounded like a hammer-on with two 16th notes, 8th rest and then the quarternote on one. This 50 songs challenge is great fun, it actually took me longer than expected to record this and I’ve learned a lot. My groove is still a bit wonky, especially during the guitar solo.

2 Likes

Your groove is fine. :slight_smile:

Glad to hear it was intentional. Sounded fine, just was different than what I expected. :slight_smile:

And yeah, I’m learning a lot from this challenge too. Song structure, how to record videos, etc. It’s great for learning.

2 Likes

Sorry, I republished the video on YouTube. It doesn’t seem like I can edit my original post so reposting the link.

8 Likes

Awesome job! Love the personalisation you did on it. Love the tone too. Sounded pretty flawless to me. Hope you keep going with the other songs too.

3 Likes

Thanks JT! Yes my plan is to complete the entire challenge.
I was planning on full videos, but decided to just stick with still videos instead since it just takes too much time to create them. I’d rather be practicing than editing video. Maybe later on when I have more time.

3 Likes

Totally fine to do still videos. Any method is cool with me. The only thing I’d say though is that if you are looking for feedback, it is much easier to do this with us seeing you play. For example, if you are forming a bad habit by holding the bass in an awkward position, we won’t be able to tell that from audio alone. Up to you though.

4 Likes

Great job @alex.s.
I think your timing was really good!

4 Likes

Nice job @alex.s,
Great tone,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Nice job @RuknRole,
Love the tone from your bass,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Thanks @TNKA36! I’m playing a Fender Professional II P Bass.

5 Likes

Very well done @alex.s!

5 Likes

Good job @RuknRole!

5 Likes

Finally for this one done, all caught up now.
Had some fun playing this one, first song in drop ‘D’ :confetti_ball:

Bonus fact, my first experience with this song was back in 5th grade. The teacher kept a class set of these blue songbooks and when we were lucky he’d play acoustic guitar and the class would sing along to some classic tunes. The irony of a class of kids shouting “Hey Teacher! Leave them kids alone!” wasn’t lost on me, even if I didn’t know what irony was. Here’s a short playlist with my favorites.

8 Likes

Hi @GanglyCloth,
A few timing issues going on, and some inconsistencies in the tone between your plucking fingers, all this stuff will diminish with time and practice,
great to see you putting yourself out there, its the only way you will get constructive feedback to assist in your development,
keep up the good work,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Definitely. I’ve been noticing that lately, but I haven’t really worried about it. Do you know any drills to help, or just keep playing?

1 Like

Good to see you join in the fun!

You might want to try to keep your left leg still, I think it might be throwing your plucking fingers off and not allowing consistent plucks/timing. Everythinng is moving, legs, body, bass, hard enough to control everything when still, lol.

I do notice you are a bit ahead of the beat though most of the song as well.
What I do sometimes to help this is practice the song with the bass in vs. the bass removed track, it might help you feel the groove more. Then, when you have it baked in, switch to the track with the bass removed.

Good start @GanglyCloth, you are on your way!

3 Likes

Hey mate @GanglyCloth,
Practice will clean this up, i used to do the same.
One thing i did was use one finger to keep the tone the same and then use the other finger on its own to try and get the same tone, then start mixing them alternating style.
What also happens when your playing along with songs is your adrenalin starts to kick in and you can easily get out of whack and try and force the notes which can lead to the same thing.
Trying to relax is not easy when your focused on keeping in time, but again it come down to practice, practice and more practice, hell i still *&(^ it up a lot :+1:
Cheers Brian

1 Like