Nice job @alex.s,
Great tone,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Nice job @RuknRole,
Love the tone from your bass,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Thanks @TNKA36! I’m playing a Fender Professional II P Bass.

5 Likes

Very well done @alex.s!
:+1:

5 Likes

Good job @RuknRole!
:+1:

5 Likes

Finally for this one done, all caught up now.
Had some fun playing this one, first song in drop ‘D’ :confetti_ball:

Bonus fact, my first experience with this song was back in 5th grade. The teacher kept a class set of these blue songbooks and when we were lucky he’d play acoustic guitar and the class would sing along to some classic tunes. The irony of a class of kids shouting “Hey Teacher! Leave them kids alone!” wasn’t lost on me, even if I didn’t know what irony was. Here’s a short playlist with my favorites.

8 Likes

Hi @GanglyCloth,
A few timing issues going on, and some inconsistencies in the tone between your plucking fingers, all this stuff will diminish with time and practice,
great to see you putting yourself out there, its the only way you will get constructive feedback to assist in your development,
keep up the good work,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Definitely. I’ve been noticing that lately, but I haven’t really worried about it. Do you know any drills to help, or just keep playing?

1 Like

Good to see you join in the fun!

You might want to try to keep your left leg still, I think it might be throwing your plucking fingers off and not allowing consistent plucks/timing. Everythinng is moving, legs, body, bass, hard enough to control everything when still, lol.

I do notice you are a bit ahead of the beat though most of the song as well.
What I do sometimes to help this is practice the song with the bass in vs. the bass removed track, it might help you feel the groove more. Then, when you have it baked in, switch to the track with the bass removed.

Good start @GanglyCloth, you are on your way!

3 Likes

Hey mate @GanglyCloth,
Practice will clean this up, i used to do the same.
One thing i did was use one finger to keep the tone the same and then use the other finger on its own to try and get the same tone, then start mixing them alternating style.
What also happens when your playing along with songs is your adrenalin starts to kick in and you can easily get out of whack and try and force the notes which can lead to the same thing.
Trying to relax is not easy when your focused on keeping in time, but again it come down to practice, practice and more practice, hell i still *&(^ it up a lot :+1:
Cheers Brian

1 Like

Hey. Good job on this. Sounded good if you adjust for the ahead of tempo bit. However, since you were consistently ahead of the beat, I’m not so sure this is you doing something wrong. This sounds like a mixing issue to me. Your bass track and backing track might be out of alignment. I’m not sure how good you are with adjusting tracks in a DAW, but if you move the backing track a bit to the left, things might magically be on beat.

Or as others have said, it could just be adrenaline making you a bit faster. I just think since it’s so consistent it’s probably a mixing issue. Either way, if you make that adjustment, it will probably sound better. You don’t need to though, up to you.

2 Likes

So… finally!

Now just have to fix the jittery video for the next song…

Stay Tuned!

14 Likes

Fantastic job @JPHaggerty

Don’t fix the video! Very Max Headroom. Make it your signature thing.

7 Likes

Wait… you REMEMBER Max Headroom?!

We must be old… LOL

5 Likes

We are, and I am sad for the ‘kids’ that don’t know the beauty of Max Headroom.

6 Likes

Hey @GanglyCloth,

As others said try to keep time with you left foot so the bass is not moving all over. You can also stand and it makes it less noticeable if you want to use your right foot. Good job!

5 Likes

Great job! Glad you are taking part in this. I can tell you are really enjoying yourself and that’s what it’s all about (well, and learning!). Sounded pretty flawless to me so don’t have any words of wisdom. Lovely tone too. And yes, I also know about Max Headroom! If you need any help figuring out what happened to the video then I’m sure there are plenty of people on here willing to chip in some advice.

4 Likes

Good job @JPHaggerty!

4 Likes

Nice job @JPHaggerty,
couple small tonal changes when playing at the 12th and 10th fret, but besides those good consistent tone throughout, nice bass :+1:
keep up the good work,
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Thanks, Brian!

Yeah, I was trying to keep it consistent throughout, but…

4 Likes