Song 1 - "Another Brick in the Wall" by Pink Floyd

Ok. Here is my first ever bass cover. I’m still waiting for the DAI I ordered to show up, so I just mic’d my amp for this one. Be gentle on me. Lol
https://youtu.be/WDesk795c44

8 Likes

Nicely done @Vince

Some little timing bits on note but that is normal for starting out.
I liked your overlay graphic but makes it a bit harder to provide feedback on technique but what I could see looked ok.

When you get your DI, if you are interesting in some useful tips on recording….

3 Likes

Thanks @John_E . I’ll check out that video. I also changed my overlay so that my hands are more visible.

2 Likes

Nice first up recording @Vince ,
John @John_E has already mentioned the things I noticed and watching the video John and Pam @PamPurrs put together will get you up to speed :+1:
The one other thing I picked up was the tonal differences between your two picking fingers, this will improve over time,
Keep up the great work,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Great job @Vince ! I agree with those commenting ahead of me and that will work out with practice. Keep 'em coming!
:+1:

3 Likes

Hi everyone, I’ve been really inspired by the music-loving community here and I think this challenge is exactly what I need to keep the bass-momentum going since finishing the course. I had a great time working on this one. I don’t drop d and I dance around too much, so y’all’ve been warned :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Well done @dlamson13 !!!
Great timing, tone and groove all around!

Not sure what that big red funky box is behind you, but looks FUN!

5 Likes

I’m going with doomsday clock to go with the nuclear bunker aesthetic?

Really liked that, nice work :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Nice cover with great tone @dlamson13 ,
You were in the groove and the dancin around shows that,
Very cool,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

Thanks a lot @John_E @Barney @TNKA36! Glad you liked it. Now for the great mystery

When my daughter was a toddler I made her this activity board with a bunch of latches and buttons and random stuff to play around with, good times :smile: she’s 8 now and more into things with screens, but she still plays music with me (sings and plays some uke)

That’s hillarious!! Definitely got the bunker vibe going down there, but in a true SHTF situation I’ll have to come up with a way to eat guitar pedals

5 Likes

Great job @dlamson13 ! The groove and tone were perfect!
:+1:

2 Likes

Thanks @JerryP !

3 Likes

I can play this song well enough as a noob when not recording. Every time I record my cover I always mess it up. I don’t really want to post the video I took as it’s cringe and stops early because my battery was going flat. But just want to make a note here for my own future reference that for now, I can get through the song and I’m happy about it but I need to work on my alternating plucking.

7 Likes

Try this (it’s worked for me)….

Sit down to play one day and start with recording it as soon as you sit down. Give it one shot. If it doesn’t work, do same next day. I bet you nail it one of those times if not the first.

4 Likes

Good, that’s a win for sure, the recording will happen.

Love this advice. I have videos of trying to do my Clash cover going back 3 weeks. Tried it once and moved on. Either way I was still practicing. In my case, it was a combination of “record button psych out” and right hand technique in need of some clean up.

3 Likes

I bet this is been covered so I’m sorry maybe someone could just point me to where. I’m a Luddite and don’t have the intellectual bandwidth to figure this stuff out. I made a video with my iPad and I can’t upload it. Does anyone have any clues of how to convert a video I made on my iPad to an acceptable format?

1 Like

You need to upload it to YouTube or Vimeo or other service then share the link here like any other video.

Please search on “Pam & John’ How To Record Yourself” thread. We made videos on all the steps. You can look at the contents to see time stamps of the YouTube/Vimeo part.

2 Likes

Definitely a few mistakes but here’s my take.

7 Likes

Good first effort @doylecb

You missed one important thing.
This is in drop D tuning, so the E string has to be tuned to D, which is why you might think those notes sound odd.

Timing was pretty darn good.

You missed the slides, note the score as to where.

You’re off to a great start! Keep going.

2 Likes

Ha! Of course, drop D!
That was some bad not paying attention to details as far as the slides. Must be slide from the A to the E on the 12th fret?

2 Likes