Song 1 - "Another Brick in the Wall" by Pink Floyd

I’ve been letting it ring for the entire next bar, so 8 beats in total. That sounds right to me, but might not be officially right.

3 Likes

That’s how I interpreted it also. But I’m not sure…

Like this, right?

3 Likes

I checked Songsterr and it does the note for 8 beats too, so I think this is right.

4 Likes

agreed on 8 beats, that sounds like the original

2 Likes

For the 7x section I’d recommend memorizing a portion of the solo that can be a signal for “don’t repeat.” That is far easier to me than counting through 7x, which is also boring :slightly_smiling_face:

The cue I use is the bluesy/funky notes after the super-high notes of the solo, if you listen to the solo I think you’ll know what i mean. When I hear that part I know it means to no longer repeat. I think it’s also something that will just feel more natural the more you play it.

6 Likes

Yeah, I’ve been trying to use the “super high notes of the solo” to indicate that I was in the 6th repetition, so one more to go.

I let it ring until right before the next vocal. I liked the sound of that… I think that representation just means “let it ring” without a specific duration.

You don’t know where you are in the song? On the fretboard?

4 Likes

Yes.

3 Likes

Well, because the rhythm pattern changes (chorus), I get confused where I am in the song. And the slide crossing over the bar and into a dotted quarter note doesn’t exactly help for orientation. But I’ve now listened to the song a few times over and the structure is becoming more and more clear to me.

6 Likes

For those that are struggling to know when the end of the 7th repeat is on the guitar solo, there is actually a signal David Gilmour (the guitarist) does. If you listen closely to the 7th repeat, at the start of the 4th bar (of the 4 bars that get repeated 7 times), he changes from single string plucking to full chord strumming. You should be able to hear that if you listen from 3:06 in the YT video. Here it is with that time stamp. This is the start of the 1st bar of the 7th time through. The start of the 4th bar is around 3:13. Can you hear it? This is what I’ve been using to tell me to move onto the finish of the song. Hope that helps!

5 Likes

“if you don’t eat your meat, you can’t have any pudding.”

“How can you have any pudding if you don’t eat your meat?”

Gotta love those lyrics . . . :wink:

6 Likes

For the non-British, “pudding” is what some people call dessert. Also, the ring tone in the song is the classic British ring tone for a landline phone. I loved this song about 5 years before I moved over to the UK and realized these things. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I was working on this last night, it sounds surprisingly good on my Jazz. A little tricky still at 105 BPM but will get that down too.

4 Likes

@JT…is that a Texas Flag along with the Union jack in your Avatar/Profile Pic?

PS - I started working on it this weekend too…should be finishing B2B as I still have module 16 to go, but I am stalling…and it is going fairly well. Should be recording worthy within two weeks. And man am I glad I am not the only one who gets lost in the fog of that guitar solo. Seems like eternity.

4 Likes

Yep. First 25 years of my life in Texas. Last 20 years in the UK.

7 Likes

I am the opposite of you JT! First 25 years in North London. Past 21 years in central Texas!

7 Likes

Hi,
I found a really helpful video with staff and tab but can’t figure out how to post it. Search YouTube for EuBasss. He has this song and loads of others.

So, how do you post a video when you’re done working on it? I can put it on YouTube but how do I link it here? Forum barked at me when I tried to paste a link.

Thanks!

5 Likes

Welcome aboard, @michael.gerdes . . . :slight_smile:

First time new members can’t post pics or videos right away on the Forums. This is to prevent spamming, etc.

Just be patient and you will be able to later on :wink:

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Cool. Thanks Joe.

3 Likes

Welcome @michael.gerdes!

1 Like

Haha, you caught me! That’s a slightly informal, but not uncommon, way to represent “let the note ring as long as you feel like, Roger Waters” :stuck_out_tongue:

He’s playing a P bass with flats on the track, so the decay is faster than if you’re playing with roundwounds, so just mute or lower your volume to taste to fade!

Cool idea! Another way to make the counting easier is to feel a group of 4x, then feel the remainder as 3x, since we tend to feel phrases “complete” in groups of 2 or 4.

Haha I had no idea! Always imagined literal pudding.

Hey Michael! Like @Jazzbass19, brand new users can’t post links for anti-spam purposes, but I just manually bumped your trust level so you can. If you just throw a Youtube link on it’s own line, the forum will auto-embed it nicely!

10 Likes