Song 12 - "All Star" by Smashmouth

The first of the Medium songs have arrived! Time to get your Shrek on!

Song: All Star
Artist: Smashmouth
Tuning: Standard (EADG)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ay_BkRuv-o

Spotify link

4 Likes

Here my take on All Star. Not perfect, I keep posting so I can get better and learn from my mistakes👍. These songs get me motivated to pick up my bass and practice, well I do practice everyday anyway.
Hope you enjoy. Have a nice day.
Smash Mouth.

17 Likes

Good job @JT and @BigAl

On a side note: My boys were pre-teenagers when Shrek was out, and I bought them the DVD. They watched it over and over and over and I heard that theme song so many times I can barely stand listening to it now LOL.
You guys did a good job on it, nonetheless!

4 Likes

Great job @BigAl! Good playing, good sound, good mix, and outstanding choice of bass! :slight_smile: To me it looks like you are making great improvement in your playing.

Only constructive critique I can offer is that I think you played the regular verse instead of the reharmonized verse on the second half of the song.

Here is my version. I’ve been super busy with work working very long days. I recorded it late at night while I was waiting for a process to run. No playing footage on this one, but you get some awesome Reaper footage. :laughing:

This one is dedicated to you @PamPurrs! :yum:

6 Likes

Thanks for the dedication @RuknRole :smiley:

You did a great job on it, and I enjoyed the Reaper dance in the background.

2 Likes

That wasn’t a video of me playing. It was the video of the official recording. I put the official video in the top of each song thread. So I’d hope it is more than good. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Nice @BigAl .

2 Likes

Excellent @RuknRole ! I know the feeling…I haven’t even posted Hound Dog yet. :frowning:

2 Likes

I listened to it on my phone while eating breakfast at Dennys and didnt even watch the video, it sounded good though.

2 Likes

Not sure? Reharmonized verse second half of song? Not sure. @ work right now would have to check when I get home. Thanks.

2 Likes

This part here:

2 Likes

@BigAl super fab job man!
@RuknRole already pointed out the reharmonized bit. That section is actually easier to play, you played it the hard way sir!
Only other things i heard was the note duration marks @1:50ish into the song, the longer notes are a bit longer than you played.
Minor stuff, again, fantastic job.

3 Likes

@RuknRole you are a tone monster on this one, nailed the tone.
Same bit @ 1:50ish in, at least to my ears and what I see in the score, some of the notes are longer, changes up the feel of the song a bit.
Maybe I am wrong though here on my comment here and to @BigAl

But again, minor stuff, great job indeed!

4 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out @RuknRole . Didn’t even see it or just missed it. My bad. Love the feed back @John_E @RuknRole . I need to pay more attention. Old man syndrome :joy::rofl:,Thanks :+1::beers:

4 Likes

Thanks, for feedback @John_E . I appreciated :+1::beers:

2 Likes

Superb playing @BigAl and @RuknRole - love the Stingrays too! I’m up to about 90% speed on this one and enjoying learning it.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll go back and check note duration on that section.

It’s funny you mention tone. When I heard @BigAl’s recording the 1st think I said to myself was: Wow I love his tone, wish mine sounded like that! lol

1 Like

We are our own worst critics.

4 Likes

To all the parents out there who had to listen to this song on hard rotation when the Shrek movie came out; I feel your pain.
I can’t take listening to it anymore; so here it is, warts and all.
I will however dutifully listen to fellow forum members covers (but that’s it!)
Cheers Amigos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDa8NzRK7dQ

9 Likes