Song 21 - "Higher and Higher" by Jackie Wilson

Thanks @John_E ! It took a little bit of time to make myself comfortable but it was plain sailing from then on :slight_smile: It’s definitely a case of turn on and zone out because when you stop to think what you’re doing it all falls apart. :grin:

1 Like

Oh yeah - I’m kind of looking forward to the James Brown track now…

1 Like

Absolutely! You’ve inspired me to finish this damn song.

1 Like

Let’s begin by stating I used to love this song.
I hate to play this song.
Speed it not my friend, but it is finally done (close enough).
Plenty of missed notes but moving on.

This literally took me months and months of coming back to and going a bit faster and faster to get even remotely close, then, once at speed I couldn’t keep it up for the whole song.

Bye-bye Jackie Wilson, moving on.

https://youtu.be/tkPTQrFMgn0

6 Likes

You did it! Way to keep at it, this song is speed work out for sure. Nailed the timing and tone in classic @John_E fashion.

1 Like

This is one I’ve been practicing fragments of for a while but could never quite pull it all together. This isn’t an excellent example but I’d call it pretty good. I was originally using my fretless bass for most of tracking but I decided to pick up the JINO and give it a go with that bass. The resulting track was pretty good so here we are.

3 Likes

Ya this one took some time for me to for it to click in at speed, it’s a tough tune to keep at pace and keep the groove in the pocket, but you did a really great job @cheeze_pizza !!!

For some reason I felt very satisfied when I was able to complete this one.

2 Likes

Sounded fabuloso to me! You made it look easy, but it is a tricky one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks John! It does feel great to ave this one under the belt. I find myself playing the main riff quite often.

Thanks man! This one was also on the final Badass test so that helped prepare. Now I need to jump in the Statue of Liberty and slime the heck out of NYC! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Okay, I have to say that this is done, but it is far from perfect on my end. :slight_smile: Next songs say that I should feel good, so I hope it will be better. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It took me a long long long long long time continually coming back to this one before I got it even close to right.

It is a simple bassline that is deceptively difficult to play with perfect timing for the length of the song. And it’s a super fast riff!

Overall pretty good @Johnnyb - to me your found the groove and fell in perfectly til the end about 1/2 way in, which was the opposite of my struggle, which was keeping the groove going for what felt like the longest 3 minutes of my life.

2 Likes

Thank you @John_E . If someone wants me to play this in a band, I will learn it properly, not before. :slight_smile: Hehe, guess after this nobody want me to play it in a band, so I am safe. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Listening back I realized I missed this rest most the time but close enough, time to move on

1 Like

Hey there, here it’s my effort

3 Likes

Nice @Reo
some changes in note articulation on the main groove but in general you nailed the original groove.
Great tone out of that MM.

1 Like

Good cover @myheadsmt91 with some small misses but it is better to move on and then come back and redo it sometime later. :slight_smile: Think you should try to play it with alternating fingers, just for the learing.

1 Like

Great tone @Reo :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @John_E
Do you mean the length of some notes? Honestly I didn’t analyze it much, just felt it. When I looked at the video I realized that I didn’t play as intentionally as I should, but I felt ok about it, except for the last couple of choruses where it was really hard to stay close to the rhythm.
I really need to get back in a routine, since completing the course I changed position at work and lost momentum
Let’s see how the next one goes

Yes.
Of course you can play any song any way anyone wants, I usually look to what the original asks for for the 50 song challenges. You can totally ignore any comments to this point if you are playing more freely.

Sounded great regardless.

1 Like

I like it! Good touch with the wedding ring, too. :wink:

What did you dial in for the tone?

Cheers,
Antonio

1 Like