Song 24 - "Lady Marmalade" by Patti Labelle

Song: Lady Marmalade
Artist: Patti Labelle
Tuning: Standard (EADG)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku7W0BZcxdw

Spotify Link

1 Like

Here’s my attempt. Couple of hiccups, especially in the second half, but I didn’t want to do a second take, because the sun was killing me. (You don’t say that very often in Ireland…)

Still no EQ, just clean passive tone directly into the Scarlett. My XLR-to-jack cable is on its way, hopefully I’ll be able to use the amp’s EQ for the next covers.

https://youtu.be/S83GuGMiwwY

16 Likes

Fantastic @akos - you are really groovin’!
That was GREAT!
Good to see more 50 songs coming.

I have to get back to those after the 2 covers I am working on now.

1 Like

Btw I did it without tapping my feet. :slight_smile: It was weird for the first couple of days, but I think I’m starting to understand why your teacher doesn’t allow it. (The head bobbing is non-negotiable though.)

I noticed both :grin:

1 Like

Nice job @akos! Sounds good!

1 Like

@John_E @akos why does your teacher advocate no foot tapping?

See this thread:

Awesome!

Fun tune.
Timing is key because if you miss the mark it sticks out like a sore thumb.
In trying to match original tone, tone knob rolled off almost all the way and I used the VT Bass DI in B15 mode.
https://youtu.be/ZXRo_OEBiOM

7 Likes

Man this is fun to play, and another example of a song that would suck to play on guitar but is absolutely amazing on bass.

100%, some tricky syncopation and nowhere to hide

Well it’s time to ship this one, my wife says she’s tired of hearing “Christina Aguilera” :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

I get this with every song, except she has no idea who to fill in the blank at the end of the sentence with…ever. A least your wife was a close guess.

Sounds great man, perfect timing and groove.

And Let’s go Yankees!

2 Likes

Thanks John, haha yeah our families sacrifice their sanity for our bass glory…takes a lotta reps
Go yanks! +14 to go for #99 :baseball:

2 Likes

I took a few approaches on this one but I decided to go with a pick in the end! Really enjoyed grooving to this one during the breakdown. :smiley:

Played with a Fender Jino Jazz Bass - H Pickup isolation
Pickup Volume 70%
Preamp ON - Treble Boost but no bass boost

Using Cali76 Compressor with Dry, In, and Out at 50%
Ratio at 75%, Att/Rel at 65% and HPF at 50%

Plugged into Darkglass Microtubes 500v2 with Microtubes Mode active -
Tone at 100% and Blend at 50%

XLR Out to Volt 276. Comp OFF. Vintage ON. Gain 65%. Recorded with Garageband and OBS. Finished with iMovie.

Thanks for watching!

2 Likes

Here is my Lady Marmalade , had to use the 5-string Yamaha on this to get the sound right. I get a bit lost with the 5-string, have to use it more so I don’t pick the wrong string. :slight_smile:
Lady Marmalade

Hope it is ok, but as always I appreciate to get feedback I can learn from.

2 Likes

Well played, not crazy about the tone, a bit too trebbly but that is just me.

I think you navigated the 5 pretty good.
Crazy how one damn string can completely shut down our brains.

1 Like

Thank you @John_E ! I need to use the Yamaha more to get used to the fifth string. It is a fantastic instrument that should cover almost all I need to play. But still, I prefer my Ibanez, probably because that is what I played in my younger days. :slight_smile:

Another fun one to play, def going in the jam rotation.
Couple small blips but nothing worth re-recording, hope you enjoy.

2 Likes

Such a fun song.
Crazy cool tone you came up with that’s very different from the original.

Well done.

1 Like

Thanks, This old ibby just has that sound.
The tone here is just all knobs set to max, Full tone, full volume from both humbuckers.