Song 29 - "Otherside" by Red Hot Chili Peppers

Song: Otherside
Artist: Red Hot Chili Peppers
Tuning: Standard (EADG)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCZLCG4JFm4

Spotify Link

2 Likes

Ok this one is a mess, but I’m uploading it anyway, because I don’t expect to be able to improve on it anytime soon, and I want to move on. At least I’ll have something to compare myself to in 2030.

Definitely the most challenging song I’ve done so far. Lots of things going on, I was basically just trying to keep up with the song the entire time. I’m probably going to start a petition to move it into the hard section. :slight_smile:

https://youtu.be/ZGpOmalM1-4

9 Likes

Wow that does seem hard, you did a good job beating it into submission though.
I don’t think this is a mess at all.
Tone is a bit fatty but your playing it quite good man.
Makes me agree with you putting it into the hard section.

1 Like

I played it on the J pickup (with the P rolled off to 0) to try and replicate the tone in the song. I didn’t dislike it that much, but the real solution is a proper jazz bass. I already have one on my wish list (what a crazy coincidence), I’m going to use that for the updated cover in 2030. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My beloved Isles scored 2 goals in 17 seconds right after finishing this take, so I’m keeping it!
First RHCP cover, not sure Flea would approve of the NYI jersey (Kings fan I’m guessing?) or the bass playing for that matter :stuck_out_tongue: I really like the way he never plays the A/F/C/G part the exact same way, subtly varies it a little each time to keep things interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NIs3fjCbXI

5 Likes

This looks hard as hell, lol.
You did a good job but this is not my fave of yours for sure. Not sure if it was the mix or the tone but something seemed odd to my ears. I think if it sat in the mix more I’d have liked it more.
Played well for the most part, sounded like a few slides missed their mark.
Great job though on a tough song man.

1 Like

Thanks John! I always appreciate your honest feedback. This was more impulsive than some of my covers. I walked up, turned some knobs, hit record and shipped it. The lazy slides make me cringe a little for sure. The tone is 100% bridge 50% neck pickup, which might be a little harsh. I usually play this bass with all 3 knobs to max.

Yep, this one was really tough for me.
Fun tune to play though…

https://youtu.be/uS6w4w7CzuI

3 Likes

Well there is no slapping in this one to derail me so I think it went pretty well! :sweat_smile:

I wanted to switch gears since the Clash song had been giving me so much trouble. This song is much more approachable in my opinion. Maybe it’s because I’ve heard it five bajillion times in the past while the Clash song was completely new to me. Anyways, enough on that.

Since it’s a RHCP song, I had to break out the Flea Bass on this one. Volume and Tone on full for both pickups and we are using the Cali76 compressor and Darkglass Microtubes 500v2 head again.

Thanks for checking it out!

3 Likes

Well done man…!!! woot!
Loved the tone too.
My only feedback is on the bridge, playing a bit more staccato and honoring the rests would sound better to me.

Whoa whoa what?
Go listen to London Calling asap over and over - and over.
London Calling is IMO the worst tune on the album, but it’s one of the GOAT fo sho.
FWIW, I struggled a lot with London Calling then one day went back to it and it was there all by itself. It will come, let it bake in the background for a while.

2 Likes

I went a bit ham on some takes really digging in to the plucking actions but then I would miss the little fill in the middle. Need to working on an relaxed aggressive approach and I bet that would work out better. Thanks for checking it out!

I’m sure it will come together. I can do the triplets if I resort to using hammer-ons but my picking hand isn’t quite in sync with my fretting hand if I try to pick all the notes.

1 Like

That sounded great Mr. Cheeze! There is something I love about the balance of clarity and growl of an open A string on a Jazz bass, hard to describe, but you have that magic sound here. Very nice :slight_smile:

This took me a LONG time to get. Lots of metronome time.

:100: I like the title track but there is much better. The album is packed with bass gems, might be my pick for best double album, no filler IMO.

1 Like

This was meant to be uploaded in 2023, but remembering the small alternate ways of playing was really hard. Hope it turned out okay . :slight_smile:
Otherside

2 Likes

Well done!!!
Great job.

1 Like

Thank you @John_E :slight_smile: