Song 32 - "Roxanne" by The Police

I practiced this fingerstyle and went back to listen to the original just before recording and realized Sting used a pick, so, grabbed one, ran through a couple times and recorded.
Tone up all the way on the '61 P.
Once again used a little of the good old VT Bass DI in SVT mode.

https://youtu.be/N-QCtphJmAA

10 Likes

Nice job @John_E! Is that a Nash?

Nope. Fender Custom Shop

And thanks!

1 Like

Very very nice. What I love about learning bass is revisiting stuff from my youth i.e. The Police and realizing there’s a lot going on under the hood of what sounds like a simple pop song.

2 Likes

This sounds great John! You nailed all the little nuances that make this bassline so good. Nice call going with the pick on this one, really matches the attack Sting used.

2 Likes

Can’t believe I squeezed a cover in on Christmas. This is a lot of fun to play, always loved The Police, kind of surprised I haven’t covered them sooner. The trickiest part is not playing on the “1” in the verse.
Signal: Fernandes (Neck-100% Bridge-50% Tone-100%) => Behringer BDI (as overdrive) => Orange Crush DI Out => Interface
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A08r9qZHw-Q

8 Likes

Aces @dlamson13 !! I love the growl- and timing

1 Like

That sounds great @John_E. I’m surprised it’s picked. It’s pretty soft. Love the syncopation of the bass line. Absolutely love Stewart Copeland.

1 Like

Thanks @John_E! That growl is one of my favorite sounds, that $25 SansAmp knockoff really helps bring it out.

1 Like

That’s a great cover @dlamson13. I absolutely love your tonal awareness when you switch pickups position, very seamless and smooth.

Thanks @Al1885! Nice catch, I found that out by accident, I like the extra treble you can get when playing the higher strings closer to the bridge.

1 Like

I couldn’t sleep well over the weekend so I think this was recorded at like 2:30am…

Decided to use the thumb to pluck this one as I’ve seen Sting do in the past. Squier P Bass back in action on this one and we are running it into the usual Darkglass Microtubes head.

Hope you enjoy!

5 Likes

Sounds great!
Nice thumbing!

1 Like

Thanks John!

I was asked to consider posting my attempt at Roxanne by The Police here as well, so here it is. Enjoy, er….hopefully haha :joy: https://youtu.be/8zzoc4iov5E?si=ojcXLaT9wodptf_w

4 Likes

Good stuff man! Would be nice to hear the original track mixed in better but it sounds fine. Your playing is great and that is a fine looking bass.

1 Like

Thanks man. Yea I got a presonus audio interface for Christmas. Just haven’t had time to sit down and get it all set up I guess. I’ll do that soon. Funny thing is that fender bass I’ve had for about two or three years and never play it. I usually use my Jackson 5 or Ibanez 6, but with me having this pinched nerve I decided I need to dig it out since it was lighter. Plays great I just got used to having the extra strings hanging from my neck haha

1 Like

As always when I start a new song there is so many great covers here from all of you. When I think I am done with the song I play it over your cover as well to get a last test, and many times I find that I wait another day. :slight_smile: Hehe, maybe tomorrow then. Good night!

1 Like

I hear you, but remember we are human and will not be perfect. I’ve had songs that have taken me an hour or more to get four minutes of good footage (sound quality and me playing close enough to call it right) :rofl:. At the end of the day I do the best I can and post it.

1 Like

This is not good, I must learn to count. Do you think I need to stop on this and have a month of metronome training? I guess I’ll just move on and come back to this at some point.

3 Likes